PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Add Pete Carroll to Belichick's graveyard of discarded rivals

That would be a shame...not. Pete Carroll's ongoing arrogance rubs me the wrong way.

Only seven of the Seahawks’ past 72 draft picks are still on the roster. :eek::eek:

Pete Carroll is a quality coach. His team fell apart this year due to injuries, possible decline by Wilson, and just not being very good in the first place. I actually think that if Seattle stays with him they'll manage to turn things around. They've done it before. They just have to do better at building their roster.

I've never had a problem with Pete. He's got a very different style to BB, and his energy probably rubs some people the wrong way, but there's no question he's a good coach. I do think their run of success was aided by having Wilson on a rookie contract (and hitting the ground running in his first year) and a REALLY good stretch of drafting, especially in the later rounds. They basically built their entire core over the course of two drafts, and had all that talent on cheap deals so they could supplement with quality veterans. Tip of the cap to them for that run, but that was going to be really hard to sustain. They've had good years since, but not consistently, and never close to reaching that 2013/2014 peak.

If Bill was deemed a washed up relic/has been/Brady-dependent fraud after a 7-9 season without a NFL caliber QB, without a bevy of covid quitting starters, and a roster strewn with practice squad replacements…. What narrative is 3-8 Jacked-and-Pumped Pete combatting, with his media -worshipped All-Universe QB mostly intact and a roster in decent shape minus a RB?

Years from now when the drive-by mediots temper their hate for Grumpy Bill, the story will be more about how most teams take years to rebuild and mostly fail while Bill rebuilt in 1 season and the fandom pain was having to endure a middle ranked team when no fans were allowed in the building.

I've never had a problem with Pete. He's got a very different style to BB, and his energy probably rubs some people the wrong way, but there's no question he's a good coach. I do think their run of success was aided by having Wilson on a rookie contract (and hitting the ground running in his first year) and a REALLY good stretch of drafting, especially in the later rounds. They basically built their entire core over the course of two drafts, and had all that talent on cheap deals so they could supplement with quality veterans. Tip of the cap to them for that run, but that was going to be really hard to sustain. They've had good years since, but not consistently, and never close to reaching that 2013/2014 peak.

He's an overrated coach. What has he done since 2013? Every year it seems like Seattle falls short of expectations.

Though he seems annoying, I’d keep him, trade Wilson for what should be a king’s ransom, and **** out Schneider. Wilson is so overrated and hamstrings their salary cap and ability to acquire top-end talent through FA. If he can’t play sandlot football, that offense is dead in the water.

He's an overrated coach. What has he done since 2013? Every year it seems like Seattle falls short of expectations.

Overrated by whom? After Belichick, there's really no coach in the last 20 years who is the definitive #2 when it comes to pure track record. Carroll, having won a Super Bowl and coming 1 yard away from winning back to back is right in that mix. I haven't seen anyone (worth listening to) try to put him above Belichick, and there's arguments to be made he's better than Reid or Payton, who are the only ones in that same category of track record for me. Maybe Harbaugh? But his teams don't exactly live up to their own hype either. Other than Coughlin (ugh) and Belichick, no coach in the last 20 years has two rings. Carroll is one of the top NFL coaches in the last 10 years, it's just that that standard is pretty skewed having BB at the top. And that's not even including his college record (which I understand not counting here if we're sticking strictly to NFL criteria).

Overrated by whom? After Belichick, there's really no coach in the last 20 years who is the definitive #2 when it comes to pure track record. Carroll, having won a Super Bowl and coming 1 yard away from winning back to back is right in that mix. I haven't seen anyone (worth listening to) try to put him above Belichick, and there's arguments to be made he's better than Reid or Payton, who are the only ones in that same category of track record for me. Maybe Harbaugh? But his teams don't exactly live up to their own hype either. Other than Coughlin (ugh) and Belichick, no coach in the last 20 years has two rings. Carroll is one of the top NFL coaches in the last 10 years, it's just that that standard is pretty skewed having BB at the top. And that's not even including his college record (which I understand not counting here if we're sticking strictly to NFL criteria).

Carroll, Harbaugh, Reid and Sean Payton are the second place coaches with Tomlin and McCarthy also candidates.

What this does show is how important it is to constantly evolve before you are behind the curve when your system gets "figured out".

Dan Quinn in Dallas has admitted that their Cover 3 is now "figured out"

theganggreen was early in calling out that once the league loaded on fast, small LB's to counter hurry up, spread offenses.....Belichick would revert to I formation power running. Something they rehashed after SB 53.

theganggreen was early in calling out that once the league loaded on fast, small LB's to counter hurry up, spread offenses.....Belichick would revert to I formation power running. Something they rehashed after SB 53.

This just can't possibly be true. From any other team's fanbase, sure. But not this group. Please acknowledge that you got the wrong site.

Sure, they're buffoons, but they're buffoons that have a lot of experience watching Belichick evolve. And there are a few of them that have a glimmer of wisdom.

Besides, was it really a tough call that Belichick would find a way to exploit the meta when he's done it for literal decades?

This just can't possibly be true. From any other team's fanbase, sure. But not this group. Please acknowledge that you got the wrong site.

The Jets suck.....but theganggreen is entertaining and provides failure angle views that don't apply to Patriot fans.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back