PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Add Pete Carroll to Belichick's graveyard of discarded rivals

Besides, most of TGG know their team sucks. Unfortunately they're stuck with a terrible, awful owner, easily among the worst in the NFL, and have to make the best of it.

For all he embarrassed us a bit a few years back by playing the jolly widower down in Florida, Kraft has been one of the best things that ever happened to the Patriots. And it was Kraft who saw the potential in Belichick and got the whole dynasty started.

Jets fans are every year desperately hoping for the team to flourish in spite of ownership. Meanwhile ownership has been an extremely stabilizing force for our favorite franchise. You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to swap Kraft for Woody.

Besides, most of TGG know their team sucks. Unfortunately they're stuck with a terrible, awful owner, easily among the worst in the NFL, and have to make the best of it.

For all he embarrassed us a bit a few years back by playing the jolly widower down in Florida, Kraft has been one of the best things that ever happened to the Patriots. And it was Kraft who saw the potential in Belichick and got the whole dynasty started.

Jets fans are every year desperately hoping for the team to flourish in spite of ownership. Meanwhile ownership has been an extremely stabilizing force for our favorite franchise. You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to swap Kraft for Woody.
There are probably a few owners who could have given the football operation of their team to Belichick and watched him and Brady tear up the NYFL for 20 years.

As for the topic of the thread, is there really any rival to Belichick? I don't think so.

Part of why they were so good early on when they won the SB and then lost to the Pats was because of how stellar their drafting was. That was in large part due to Carroll coming out of the college ranks and taking the Seattle job, he had a plethora of knowledge on college players that he was probably able to milk for a good 4 years before it started to dry out

Kraft did not embarrass me at all. I could not care less what consenting grown adults do.

Part of why they were so good early on when they won the SB and then lost to the Pats was because of how stellar their drafting was. That was in large part due to Carroll coming out of the college ranks and taking the Seattle job, he had a plethora of knowledge on college players that he was probably able to milk for a good 4 years before it started to dry out

Yep... Happened here too, with Chuck Fairbanks (Oklahoma) & Ron Meyer (SMU)... Great drafts from both of them gave us some pretty talented rosters from 1974-88.

Well ran dry in Seattle, speaking as a PNW native. Yeah you have Metcalf and Lockett, but you have a ****ty OL, and a defense that's too old and never restocked with quality players. Wilson also has taken a step back.

Not sure if Pete though he'd just work magic with anyone, but his drafts have been crap and he's not on Belichicks tier of coaching. Pete did a good job for a while, but I'd say he's on his last legs. If he isn't gone this year, next year will be the playoff push or you're done. I also imagine with his age, he's not going to do this much longer.

Pete Carroll is either underrated or overrated, depending on who you ask. He's got 2 national championships and a super bowl ring. He is a an excellent football coach. He's not at the Belichick level, but few are.

Well ran dry in Seattle, speaking as a PNW native. Yeah you have Metcalf and Lockett, but you have a ****ty OL, and a defense that's too old and never restocked with quality players. Wilson also has taken a step back.

Not sure if Pete though he'd just work magic with anyone, but his drafts have been crap and he's not on Belichicks tier of coaching. Pete did a good job for a while, but I'd say he's on his last legs. If he isn't gone this year, next year will be the playoff push or you're done. I also imagine with his age, he's not going to do this much longer.
During Wilson's 4 year rookie contract, 2012-15 that averaged $750k/yr, Seattle went 7-3 in playoffs, 1 trophy, 1 runners up.
During his 2nd contract that paid on average $21.9 mill/yr from 2016-19, Seattle went 2-3 in playoffs.
His current contract averages $35 mill/yr with cap hits of $31 mill ('20), $32 mill ('21), $37 mill ('22), $40 mill ('23)...Seattle is 0-1 in playoffs with virtually no shot of getting into the playoffs this season.

Let's see if newly paid Dak Prescott, Josh Allan, and Patrick Mahomes can fare better at having their cake and eating it too

There are probably a few owners who could have given the football operation of their team to Belichick and watched him and Brady tear up the NYFL for 20 years.

As for the topic of the thread, is there really any rival to Belichick? I don't think so.
How many of them would have let Belichick move on from Brady tho?

And how many of them would give up draft picks to sign one specific head coach?

We're where we are because we got out of the Brady situation at a good time. Hope he prospers in TB, but we picked a good time to bail on the contract with that draft class upcoming.

Yep... Happened here too, with Chuck Fairbanks (Oklahoma) & Ron Meyer (SMU)... Great drafts from both of them gave us some pretty talented rosters from 1974-88.
Goes back to what some said of Carroll's early draft success, that from years of college coaching, he had personal knowledge of some of the top players coming out. Both Fairbanks and Meyer fit that model.

9 years? 3 weeks of losing is all it takes for a fire Belichick thread to get traction.

I sometimes wonder what itd be like if those folks were fans of any other team....

There are / have been many short-term rivals; coaches who over a very specific time frame did a better job. And each one has risen and fallen while BB continues his success.

Auerbach.

I absolutely used to think the same way but I've come to see that basketball is easier to coach than football.

Agree completely, and that era versus this era of free agent/hard salary cap is far more difficult to manageAuerbach was great but I’ll take Belichick.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back