PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Rodgers wants a new contract?

Talent wise he might be the best quarterback in the game. He can do everything people rave about Mahomes about. Throw accurate passes on the run.

But he's just missing something. 1-4 in the NFCCG is abysmal. And with his talent he should have gone to more than 1 super bowl.

I think I understand..... So his team lost the NFCCG due to him not being paid enough! If he was only paid more he could summon up the will to lead his team to a come from behind victory in the 4th! I'm glad we figured out what the problem is. Just pay the man more, and nothing will stop Green Bay next year!

Seriously though, if I'm GB I have no intention to do a new deal. He is under contract till he is 40 years old, and his style of play will not translate well to the NFL past that point. He needs his physical talent to get it down more than his mental talent. GB would be a fool to offer him a new deal that extends him past that point. If he wants to go somewhere else at 41 then by all means let him. I suspect we will start to see massive signs of decline before his contract is over.

Off platform throws, throwing on the run, running the ball, using your upper body (with mostly your arm) as opposed to your legs to generate power consistently. It isn't going to work at 41 that well, if at all.

Add in his injury history (particularly those shoulder ones) and he isn't going to be like Brady playing well into his 40s most likely. I'll make a prediction and say by 39 we will see some noticable regression and if he plays at 41 we will see the cliff at some point that year.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's ugly. The Packers' version of Miguel put together a scenario that gets them under the cap by pushing almost $30 million of 2021 salaries to future years' caps and cutting three defensive starters and the top backup offensive tackle. That also means the starting center and running back would be leaving as free agents.

Link to avoid embedding the giant tweet

These are the kinds of stories that give me a lot of hope for next year. There's going to be a lot of players on the market that we weren't expecting going into the year, and there aren't going to be as many teams with the room to bid on them. If Bill plays it well, we can make that $60m in cap space go a LONG way.

These are the kinds of stories that give me a lot of hope for next year. There's going to be a lot of players on the market that we weren't expecting going into the year, and there aren't going to be as many teams with the room to bid on them. If Bill plays it well, we can make that $60m in cap space go a LONG way.
Yeah, I hope the owners keep the cap near the $175 million minimum. That would be best for the Patriots and by far the most entertaining to watch the league as a whole try to deal with. There had been a report that a flat cap ($198M) could happen this coming season, but another report recently said closer to $180M.

Talent wise he might be the best quarterback in the game. He can do everything people rave about Mahomes about. Throw accurate passes on the run.

But he's just missing something. 1-4 in the NFCCG is abysmal. And with his talent he should have gone to more than 1 super bowl.
Mahomes guy's seem to love him. Rodgers has had a few former teammates over the years come out and say things about him that make it seem like he isn't really "one of the guys".

Shooting his way out of town via mo money.

Dallas is the place you want to be so they loaded up the truck and Rodgers moved to Greenway Parks. Texas that is,

Others have already sufficiently explained the numbers behind why he can't realistically leave the Packers this coming offseason, but I also want to point out how dumb that would be for Rodgers to do.

This would not be a Brady situation--until a few days ago, the consensus was the GB roster was stacked on both sides of the ball. They've put some serious investments into their pass rush and secondary and have some of the best skill players in the game in Adams, Jones with plenty of role players behind them who we would be thrilled to have on our mediocre WR roster.

So it's not lacking surrounding talent that has led Rodgers to yet another disappointing playoff exit. If you ask me, it was replacing McCarthy with another average coach.

So would Rodgers want to go play for a better coach? If so, who? And if anyone can identify that coach, would the roster be a significant step down from what GB has? I think that's overwhelmingly likely.

Rodgers does not have the perfect situation, but honestly it's probably better than what Brady has in Tampa right now, and only one of them is in the Super Bowl.

The Packers may have no choice. The article calls out that he has a 37M cap number but not that if traded it's a 31M cap hit in dead money and because the cap is going down the Packers are expected to be as of now 32M over the cap.

That puts two media rumors to bed. The Packers aren't moving AR and they aren't "going out to surround him with talent like the Bucs did for Brady".

AR is truly Teflon. All we heard was "he never has had an NFCCG at home" and that the Packers were stacked and that Lafleur and Rodgers were this perfect blend of system and talent. Now he's lost to a 43 year old QB at home it's that the Packers didn't surround him with enough talent and Lafleur choked, the defense gave up too many plays.......

Facts. Rodgers sucked in the red zone. He didn't convert Tampa's mistakes into points while Brady did do that with GB's turnovers. He could have run the potential tying TD in (with a 2 point conversion) and choked. He was late with the ball to Adams or that's a TD costing them 4 points.

Ten years after he retires I have to believe the narrative will settle down and he'll be viewed in the Steve Young tier not the Montana tier and certainly not the Brady tier. I think Mahomes is already above him.

If Rodgers is traded after 6/1/21 his dead cap for this season is approximately 14 million. How The Green Bay Packers Could Trade Aaron Rodgers

Rodgers is a goner next year in 2022 and he is obviously forcing the Packers to deal him now by asking for a new contract. I would like to see him in Dallas.

Rodgers wanted to go for it on 4th down when Lafluer opted to kick the 3.

I did not like the FG, but can also see how the Bucs werent running the ball that great and Brady passing and not completing stops the clock. GB would have got the ball back.

Rodgers wanted to go for it on 4th down when Lafluer opted to kick the 3.

I did not like the FG, but can also see how the Bucs werent running the ball that great and Brady passing and not completing stops the clock. GB would have got the ball back.

you know this how? Cause he *****es after it didn’t work knowing some would fall for his **** and deflect any blame for him as always

you know this how? Cause he *****es after it didn’t work knowing some would fall for his **** and deflect any blame for him as always
I know Rodgers wasn't happy with the decision because I read it. Seems plausible.

He doesn't have late comebacks because you have to try risky throws in those situations, and he simply won't risk a pick to keep a drive alive and maybe win the game.

Rodgers #1 priority is always keeping his stat line clean first, winning second. That way if the team loses it's always someone else's fault because he had good numbers and didn't throw a big pick. He doesn't have the killer instinct, he just wants to look good personally and avoid blame.

f
He doesn't have late comebacks because you have to try risky throws in those situations, and he simply won't risk a pick to keep a drive alive and maybe win the game.

Rodgers #1 priority is always keeping his stat line clean first, winning second. That way if the team loses it's always someone else's fault because he had good numbers and didn't throw a big pick. He doesn't have the killer instinct, he just wants to look good personally and avoid blame.
Or he doesn’t want to be irresponsible with the Football.
Because turnovers will kill your team.

I know Rodgers wasn't happy with the decision because I read it. Seems plausible.

sounds like a 1-4 conference championship record QB making excuses and throwing blame as he always does

Will GB be able to be below the salary cap without Rodgers signing a new contract? A restructure (technically a new contract) would yield savings of $13M. How much could be freed up by a new contract?

TO BE CLEAR, everyone is attacking Rodgers for wanting a new contract. And, GB is unlikely to be able to enter the new season WITHOUT a new contract.

The Packers may have no choice. The article calls out that he has a 37M cap number but not that if traded it's a 31M cap hit in dead money and because the cap is going down the Packers are expected to be as of now 32M over the cap.

That puts two media rumors to bed. The Packers aren't moving AR and they aren't "going out to surround him with talent like the Bucs did for Brady".

AR is truly Teflon. All we heard was "he never has had an NFCCG at home" and that the Packers were stacked and that Lafleur and Rodgers were this perfect blend of system and talent. Now he's lost to a 43 year old QB at home it's that the Packers didn't surround him with enough talent and Lafleur choked, the defense gave up too many plays.......

Facts. Rodgers sucked in the red zone. He didn't convert Tampa's mistakes into points while Brady did do that with GB's turnovers. He could have run the potential tying TD in (with a 2 point conversion) and choked. He was late with the ball to Adams or that's a TD costing them 4 points.

Ten years after he retires I have to believe the narrative will settle down and he'll be viewed in the Steve Young tier not the Montana tier and certainly not the Brady tier. I think Mahomes is already above him.

Excellent analysis. One note, it's weird but apparently some 49er fans debate that Young is better than Montana. So I could see Packers fans arguing over this. Their QB debate is similar to our silly coach vs QB debate.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back