PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Donald roughing on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It's the right thing to do. A good ref does that.

I used to ref mens league basketball games and thats how I operated. If I saw a player early in the game get a little out of hand with the elbows, hand checking, pushing, etc I gave them a warning. If they kept doing it I called a foul.

Right, similar to Julian Edelman in the Divisional Playoff game vs Houston in 2016. The ref came over to him to warn him he was getting 'close' to be called for offensive PI on a few occasions. I thought that was a good move, being like 'look you're playing on the edge, knock it off'.

Right, similar to Julian Edelman in the Divisional Playoff game vs Houston in 2016. The ref came over to him to warn him he was getting 'close' to be called for offensive PI on a few occasions. I thought that was a good move, being like 'look you're playing on the edge, knock it off'.
Excellent example

I imagine Rams fans feel their receivers were mugged all game as well. Just depends on your point of view

Sorry, I was referring to the Chiefs game. I should have been more specific. I actually thought the SB was called pretty well!

Donald was a little excessive there but I'm not going to go too nutzo on him as I think the game has been "wussified" more than it should be.

Body slamming a guy intentionally should always be an unnecessary roughness penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Sorry, but no question that should have been a penalty. You are not allowed to throw the QB to the ground like that. That being said, I was pleased with the job the refs did and would agree it was probably the best officiated game I saw all year.

Nah. We'd go ballistic if one of our guys got flagged for that. It's football.

That was a clear and obvious penalty. We’d be ballistic at the guy who comitted it. Donald was not yet tackling Brady when he released the ball and clearly knew this was “after the throw roughness” with a little bit allowed. That’s one of the more dangerous plays for a QB...a lot stuff is ticky tack and QBs are overprotected, but this one probably gets called as a late hit in 1955.

Sorry - I consider that a wash because if you look @ that play, the ref's missed not calling a blatant PI on JE - to whom the ball was thrown to! JE had 10+ yards btw.

So, instead of calling that a 'bad call', i would call it a 'compensatory call'.

I don't know if it was really a compensatory call, unless you mean 'could've picked up the flag, then decided to let it stand because of the missed PI.'

But I was thinking, the ref -might- have been making this call because he'd already warned the player earlier in the game. Have we seen any 'could've called roughing the passer' plays earlier in the game?

No. That is not body slamming. That is tossing.

Agree. The difference is the little twist at the end, which keeps Brady from hitting the ground with the full force of the throw. If he'd tossed him so that he hit flat on his back, and his helmet hit the turf with force, I'd wager the flag would have come out.

This was just an act of frustration from Donald about not getting there in time.

Last edited:
Agree. The difference is the little twist at the end, which keeps Brady from hitting the ground with the full force of the throw. If he's tossed him so that he hit flat on his back, and his helmet hit the turf with force, I'd wager the flag would have come out.

This was just an act of frustration from Donald about not getting there in time.

Right. It was early in the game and Donald was trying to intimidate him a little. Should he have done it? No, but he certainly didn't mean to injure Tom. Just toss him around a little...

No. That is not body slamming. That is tossing.

This is.

:50 mark

That’s an extreme case in that video.

It looked like Donald tried to drive him to the ground on that “toss.” It did warrant a penalty to me, and the ref even warned Donald. It would have given us a first down at the Rams 30. In real time it looks worse IMO.

With that said, it doesn’t matter anymore. Brady didn’t get hurt and we won the game.

That’s an extreme case in that video.

It looked like Donald tried to drive him to the ground on that “toss.” It did warrant a penalty to me, and the ref even warned Donald. It would have given us a first down at the Rams 30. In real time it looks worse IMO.

With that said, it doesn’t matter anymore. Brady didn’t get hurt and we won the game.

I get your point. Just didn't seem that bad to me.

I remember yelling at the TV, but saying... OK, they are gonna let them play in the next breath. I think it worked out fine in the end. There's calls on both sides that would have been flags in the regular season.

I remember yelling at the TV, but saying... OK, they are gonna let them play in the next breath. I think it worked out fine in the end. There's calls on both sides that would have been flags in the regular season.
My immediate reaction was something out of the Sopranos..."Oooooohhh!" but when I saw the replay it didn't seem that bad to me.

Just like the change to the 'catch' rule last year for the SB. I would bet after the Saints robbery the league again talked to the refs about penalty flags for this SB. So no flags for anything that wasn't horribly blatant. I would rather have no flags than one every play.

I actually like that the ref let them play. Everything is a flag these days. There was a hit on Goff when he was going out of bound, i thought it was gonna be a flag too.
I remember that play, because the announcing team was on it like flies on dung, swarming with suggestions it should have been flagged. But they decidedly it was a good no-call, because the hit was made while he was still inbounds. I agreed, because the hit could have had affected where he went out of bounds and thus yardage gained (or lost).

I agree. Don’t think it was even close to a flag, because Donald’s hand was on Brady’s shoulder almost simultaneously with his release, maybe even before, so the rest of the play was a follow through. Donald was playing hard nosed football, trying to send a message and rattle Brady. That’s part of the game. No big deal. If you think it was you should hike up your skirt and untwist your panties because the Super Bowl is a big boys game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back