PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A very sincere Thank You

TK in the UK

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd like to thank someone special, but before I can do that ...

Although I don't post, I've been a member here since 2004 or 5 and I visit this board at least twice every day. I've been a Pats fan since the early 70's. Ignore my user name - I'm a Yank all the way: born in N.H., early years in Maine and teen years in Conn. When I turned 17, I joined Uncle Sam's Mythical Companions and started a world tour. Haven't stopped yet.

Cousin Art always did what I did so he joined 6 months later. I went into the Marine infantry - he did 6 months later. In late '65, I was transfer to 3rd Bn, 1st Marines and went to a certain asian country. In the spring of '66, he did the same (3/1 but in a different Company). I came back 13 months later but Art did it much faster. I always stop at the Wall in Washinton to say Hi whenever I'm back home.

Brother Dan had to be different so he went into the Army but he was in the 101 Airborn so he was forgiven. Brother Pat followed in the Marines, but luckily the 'Nam war had finished by then. Dan died on Feb 4th 2002 from complication with diabeties. Pat died 6 days later from a heart attack. We're all Irish so it was one hell of a wake.

But those aren't the ones I want to thank. It's you ... all of you. Let me tell you a brief story so you can understand.

I got back from Viet Nam a couple of days before Christmas, 1966. Went to Camp Pendleton in Calif for all the usual - clean uniforms, a proper Marine haircut, orders, a quick trip across the border for... well, let's skip that part.

The next day I was at LAX waiting for my flight back to Conn (home was in Bristol, a small town nobody had ever heard of back then) when a pretty, young girl came up to me. She looked at my uniform and said, "Marine, huh?" When I agreed, she said "USMC, right?" Begining to like the way the conversation was going, I agreed again with a big grin on my face. She then said, "Say, do you know the anagram for USMC?"

Well, I knew what an anagram was but I've never been any good with word games so I said I didn't. She then shouted at the top of her voice, "It's SCUM! That's what you are, effing scum!" She then spit at me, hitting me on the neck, and ran away screaming "Baby killer, Baby killer."

More of the same followed. It was not a good home leave. As soon as I hit my next duty station, I reenlisted in order to get out of the country. Yeah, it really was that bad back then.

But our guys today don't have to face that kind of brown fecal matter, for which I'm especially grateful. Thank you, each and every one of you, for taking our service people into your hearts and giving them the repect and support that you do. I can tell you it is really, really appreciated, more than you can ever imagine. All you wonderful people are special to everyone in the service - past and present.

God's blessing on you all.

Terry

Thank you and your family for all of your service to our country and sorry that you had to endure abuse when you came home in the 60's.

Deb

I'd like to thank someone special, but before I can do that ...

Although I don't post, I've been a member here since 2004 or 5 and I visit this board at least twice every day. I've been a Pats fan since the early 70's. Ignore my user name - I'm a Yank all the way: born in N.H., early years in Maine and teen years in Conn. When I turned 17, I joined Uncle Sam's Mythical Companions and started a world tour. Haven't stopped yet.

Cousin Art always did what I did so he joined 6 months later. I went into the Marine infantry - he did 6 months later. In late '65, I was transfer to 3rd Bn, 1st Marines and went to a certain asian country. In the spring of '66, he did the same (3/1 but in a different Company). I came back 13 months later but Art did it much faster. I always stop at the Wall in Washinton to say Hi whenever I'm back home.

Brother Dan had to be different so he went into the Army but he was in the 101 Airborn so he was forgiven. Brother Pat followed in the Marines, but luckily the 'Nam war had finished by then. Dan died on Feb 4th 2002 from complication with diabeties. Pat died 6 days later from a heart attack. We're all Irish so it was one hell of a wake.

But those aren't the ones I want to thank. It's you ... all of you. Let me tell you a brief story so you can understand.

I got back from Viet Nam a couple of days before Christmas, 1966. Went to Camp Pendleton in Calif for all the usual - clean uniforms, a proper Marine haircut, orders, a quick trip across the border for... well, let's skip that part.

The next day I was at LAX waiting for my flight back to Conn (home was in Bristol, a small town nobody had ever heard of back then) when a pretty, young girl came up to me. She looked at my uniform and said, "Marine, huh?" When I agreed, she said "USMC, right?" Begining to like the way the conversation was going, I agreed again with a big grin on my face. She then said, "Say, do you know the anagram for USMC?"

Well, I knew what an anagram was but I've never been any good with word games so I said I didn't. She then shouted at the top of her voice, "It's SCUM! That's what you are, effing scum!" She then spit at me, hitting me on the neck, and ran away screaming "Baby killer, Baby killer."

More of the same followed. It was not a good home leave. As soon as I hit my next duty station, I reenlisted in order to get out of the country. Yeah, it really was that bad back then.

But our guys today don't have to face that kind of brown fecal matter, for which I'm especially grateful. Thank you, each and every one of you, for taking our service people into your hearts and giving them the repect and support that you do. I can tell you it is really, really appreciated, more than you can ever imagine. All you wonderful people are special to everyone in the service - past and present.

God's blessing on you all.

Terry

As a felow Vietnam vet, I dont' know what I would have done had anyone spit at me. I came home in late August of 1968 and I had a very short fuse. I remember walking through San Francisco airport half expecting to be confronted by some hippie.

One did come close to me and after seeing the glare, I guess he decided to go eleswhere.

I wonder if those people are still living if they are proud of themselves today. Blaming sevicepeople for the policies of the politicians is about as stupid as you can get.

I'm glad the people who serve today don't have to put up with that. Maybe the disrespect that we got, made those types feel guilty, and is making it better, in that regard, for those who serve today.

USAF 71-75 here, going on leave through airports wasn't always a good experience.

Glad the guys today don't have to deal with it. They are under tremendous strain given the number of tours in hostile territory many are doing.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back