PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A rival to Belichick on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread is fundamentally incorrect in its premise.

The reason Andy Reid will not pull off this miracle is because Andy Reid is NOT a GOAT coach.

Of all HC's with 15+ years service, Andy Reid is #12 in winning %, counting regular season and playoffs.

And that QB in Tampa has a few....

He was mentioned in the original post with players who have 3 or more.

In the other 3 major sports all the players with more than 6 rings either played for the Yankees, Canadians or Celtics with the one outlier being Robert Horry who was lucky enough to win 7 rings with 3 different teams playing for 3 mini dynasties in the Rockets, Lakers and Spurs.

In the NFL 4 players have won 6 rings. 3 were Packers. Forest Gregg, Fuzzy Thurston and Herb Adderly. All 3 won 5 with the Packers. Adderly and Gregg added another ironically with the Cowboys in 71 and Thurston with the Colts in 58 before playing with the Packers.

If Brady can add 1 with Tampa he'll join Richard (11 Montreal), Russell (11 Celtics) and Berra (10 Yankees) as tops in his sport.

Of all HC's with 15+ years service, Andy Reid is #12 in winning %, counting regular season and playoffs.
There will never be a universe in which Andy Reid is held in the same regard as BB.

With that said Reid has had a very, very good career.

If Brady can add 1 with Tampa he'll join Richard (11 Montreal), Russell (11 Celtics) and Berra (10 Yankees) as tops in his sport.
Shouldn't Montreal receive an asterisk? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the winner receive the top draft choice the following year?

Shouldn't Montreal receive an asterisk? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the winner receive the top draft choice the following year?

No but there was an old rule teams had the rights to anyone who grew up within 50 miles of the city. Since that rule was changed Toronto hasn't won a championship and Montreal has won 4. Of the 4 Montreal won 2 of them were within the first 5 years of the rule change. So ya all of those early Montreal and Toronto ones are a little skewed.

There will never be a universe in which Andy Reid is held in the same regard as BB.

With that said Reid has had a very, very good career.

I think Reid takes a little too much criticism here considering his record, but yes, he's no Belichick. Nobody is.

...If Brady can add 1 with Tampa he'll join Richard (11 Montreal), Russell (11 Celtics) and Berra (10 Yankees) as tops in his sport.
Sadly for all of us, Brady should already be tops in his sport, with 10 (at least).

No but there was an old rule teams had the rights to anyone who grew up within 50 miles of the city. Since that rule was changed Toronto hasn't won a championship and Montreal has won 4. Of the 4 Montreal won 2 of them were within the first 5 years of the rule change. So ya all of those early Montreal and Toronto ones are a little skewed.

That's revisionist history. The amateur draft was instituted in 1963 and that 50 miles rule was in place until 1969. So the impact of that rule is greatly exaggerated, as it lasted 7 drafts. The best player that came from this rule was probably Réjean Houle.

The fact that Toronto hasn't won anything since 1969 and that Montréal has 'only' won 8 Cups has more to do with the league expansions starting in 1967. And, for Toronto, the Harold Ballard years didn't help them...

Correct me if I’m mistaken but isn’t there a wing at the HOF devoted to epic clock management gaffes and the centerpiece of the exhibit is a bust of Andrew Walter Reid scratching his head with one hand while eating a double meat hoagie with the other.

Remember when people thought Pete Carroll was his rival? :rolleyes:

image.png

With some more wins, deep runs, and another Super Bowl Reid would likely solidify himself as a top 10 coach of all-time. That’s not a bad spot to be.

Passing Bill though? Yeah I don’t think so..

That's revisionist history. The amateur draft was instituted in 1963 and that 50 miles rule was in place until 1969. So the impact of that rule is greatly exaggerated, as it lasted 7 drafts. The best player that came from this rule was probably Réjean Houle.

The fact that Toronto hasn't won anything since 1969 and that Montréal has 'only' won 8 Cups has more to do with the league expansions starting in 1967. And, for Toronto, the Harold Ballard years didn't help them...
Was surprised to find that Bobby Orr was not a first round draft pick. He was a phenom at a young age and would be the first athlete taken in a legitimate draft.

AT LEAST 2 of those 8 should never, Ever, EVAH have happened...and I can think of another 2 where Lady Luck (or whatever her name is in French; I took German at Boston Latin instead) spread her legs for them...

Was surprised to find that Bobby Orr was not a first round draft pick. He was a phenom at a young age and would be the first athlete taken in a legitimate draft.

It was much different then. The Bruins began pursuit of Orr when he was /13/. And they signed him when he was 14. The league didn't even institute a draft until more than a year later.

It was much different then. The Bruins began pursuit of Orr when he was /13/. And they signed him when he was 14. The league didn't even institute a draft until more than a year later.
My point was the NHL draft was flawed as the best players were not drafted.

Chiefs have an opportunity to dominate a weak azz AFC much like when the Pats took over in the early 2000's.

But he won't because a) he isn't nearly good enough, and b) unless Mahomes is willing to play the take one for the team game, they'll fall apart pretty quickly. I doubt he gets more than one more SB win out of that crew. BB has been to TEN SBs as HC and coordinator. He owns 8 rings.
Belichick has been to ELEVEN Super Bowls as HC and coordinator, nine with the Patriots and two with the Giants. I think he has also been to six more as a spectator.

Reactions: sb1
Reid is not a rival to the Pats. Beating Reid isn’t really what I’d think as a notable accomplishment compared to how other teams feel about BB. Probably won’t be paying much attention to that sort of thing to be honest.

Belichick has been to ELEVEN Super Bowls as HC and coordinator, nine with the Patriots and two with the Giants. I think he has also been to six more as a spectator.

Careful that might trigger the Bradyites. Everyone knows Belichick is a bad coach without #Tommy as his sub .500 record as a coach almost half a century ago “proves”. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots