SOURCE:MASSLive

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

A rival to Belichick on the horizon?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PonyExpress, May 22, 2020.

1. Jercules

Jercules Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +142
    Bill is a GOAT coach and GM. Has Reid ever built a team? We're pretty desperate for conversation right now...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ross12

Ross12 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,887
    That’s a good example of the clock management stuff. Bill can’t even really explain it beyond saying “I don’t know, it just looked like something wasn’t right on their sideline, I didn’t want to give them more time, I let it play out and trusted my guys.” Who the hell knows how many ways Andy Reid would’ve screwed up that situation by that point. He probably wouldn’t have had any timeouts left to take by then anyway...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pape

Pape Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,142
    Reid is a great coach who can win with just about anyone taking snaps. He will continue to post 10+ win seasons as long as mahomes stays healthy.

As for catching BB it just depends on how long BB continues to coach & post winning records. If Reid posts 12 win seasons and BB posts 9, 10 win seasons, it would take a very long time for Reid to overtake Belichick.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Pape

Ratings:
    +1,142
    Reid is a very good team builder. Just look at his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Reid had 3 losing seasons in Philly and 7 seasons when he did not win 10 games. I like the guy, but frankly, he's not even in the same conversation as BB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,904
    Curran had a reporter from KC on doing a point/counter-point segment. Curran asked him how many title Mahomes would win and he said he would set the O/U at 3.5 and that anything less than 3 would be a major disappointment.

Brady(6), Starr(5), Montana,(4) Bradshaw,(4) Graham (3 + 4 in AAFC) , Unitas (3) and Aikman (3).

That means NFL top 100 QBs Staubach, Baugh, Elway, Marino, Manning and Favre didn't do it. Neither did Brees, Rodgers, Young.....or anybody else.

Mahomes is young, talent and appears to that that drive like Brady and other greats. He very well may win 3 or more but people are acting like it's inevitable when in reality it's really flipping difficult.

The cap as already pointed out is going to make it harder and harder to keep the offense stocked. How many years does Reid really have left? I wish him well but it's not like he's in the greatest of shape. Kelce probably has a couple of years given age to be dominant. Hill is going to screw up again eventually. The Chiefs last year went without any big injuries that lingered into the playoffs. Mahomes, Hill and others did miss games in the regular season but they pretty much had the entire cast for the playoffs. That's rare. I'm not going to discount their comeback any more than I will the Pats vs Atlanta but at the same time you need some luck throw in there.

I think the Patriots doing what they've done has warped perception of getting this done. If Mahomes is going to win 3+ he better get at least another one in the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  7. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,093
    As @Sicilian mentioned upstream, Bill hasn't stopped yet so that gap isn't going to close very quickly.

On the Edelman catch in the Atlanta comeback, one thing that gets overlooked is the call by one of the refs. He came running in and emphatically called it a reception. Because of that, Quinn used his last timeout to challenge the call and that left Atlanta without any when they got the ball back with a minute left.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. p8ryts

p8ryts 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +979
    We all spend too much time trying to say our guy is the best. Brady vs Belichick, Reid vs Belichick, Brady vs Manning. It's all relative. We will always favor Brady and Belichick as we should, but records are always broken because circumstances change. I'm just happy we had ours while I could still enjoy them because I endured a lot of years on the other end of the spectrum. The newest media fabrication was something about who would get a statue Brady or Belichick. The only statue that would ever make sense to me is one of the two of them on the sideline during a game with Brady looking down at Bill while Bill is making some point about the game.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Maybe Not... x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,093
    I think the Seahawks had all their timeouts but dropped two of them just before The Butler Did It. That left them with only one and Big Brain Bill took advantage. In one of the videos I watched, the Pats coaches were talking about the timeout possibility and Bill told them that "I've got this." He wasn't kidding.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Pape

Ratings:
    +1,142
    Took as 3 win ray Rhodes team and turned it in to a perennial contender ... That's a good bit of coaching... Is he BB level great? Probably not, but if BB left and he was available, I'd hire him

• What?? What?? x 1
  11. amfootball

amfootball On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +589
    Great points about how flipping hard it is to do especially the cap/FA era. Since the cap/FA came in the mid-90's only three QBs have 2 rings - Elway, Eli, Ben. That's it. No one with 3 which is why I find the 3.5 number laughable even for Mahomes. Once he gets paid this summer, the degree of difficulty goes way, way up. And he also seems somewhat injury prone on top. It is just such a difficult feat to do what the Pats did for 20 years AND have the QB/coach stay together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10,030
    Yup and combine that with the possibility of the cap decreasing due to decreased revenue this year and we'll see how many players they can retain....
    I'm a native New Englander who has lived in Philly 30+ years ( do I get a medal for that alone?) and I got to see Andy Reid's coaching acumen up close from the not so hurry up offense in SB 39 down by 2 scores ( BB to Ernie " we're up by 2 scores, right?") to having to call a timeout to draw up a two point conversion play late in another game. You're telling me the didn't have that ready. I've posted before that Reid can mangle a clock worse than anyone since Salvador Dali but he is never going to be GOAT. Can he draft well? Yes, Does he have great schemes? Absolutely. Is he a good game day coach? No way, no how...
    Point to consider, BB is 9-3 in conference championship games, Reid is 2-4 losing to the likes of Brad Johnson and Jake Delhomme...not exactly Peyton Manning...
    Reid is 15-14 in playoffs, just getting above .500 this year ( Shulaesque) compared to BB's 31-12 .

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,955
    Not onl that, I think people are forgetting that one of the reasons BB was so successful at keeping a team around Brady is beccause most people didn't think that TB12 was the best thing since sliced bread, at least not at first. Until he exploded as a conventional QB with the arrival of Moss, people thought Brady was a conventionally talented QB who got lucky to land in a perfect situation. We now know that position is nonsense, but it had a lot of adherents back in the day.

That made it much easier to keep his salary somewhat reasonable, and the fact that he understood this and was willing to play ball and keep his demands modest in order to keep a team around him makes Brady absolutely unique in the modern era.

Bottom line, Brady was unique, and complemented what Belichick could do on defense perfectly. That combination is generational and will not be seen again for awhile, maybe for our lifetimes. Reid is competent and Mahomes is a stud, but he's about to get PAID and that's going to affect the talent they can put around him, and I've never heard of Reid being any kind of draft genius

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,546
    Yeah l, I guess BB would of have to manage the rest of his career like Reid manages clock for him to be surpassed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,904
    Peyton also has 2 rings in that time frame but your point stands.

• RLKAG RLKAG x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Awesome!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10,121
    Same official (#45 in your program IIRC) who emphatically And Correctly made the Edelman catch call also emphatically And Correctly Again made the Jame White OT TD call...this guy should be promoted to Referee and take Jerry Booger's place...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10,030
    And that QB in Tampa has a few....

19. Vindicate

Vindicate Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,150
    It's crazy how many things went right. Thanks for reminding me of that one.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,507
    This thread is a huge reach:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2