PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A neck thick like Ted Johnson's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fair catch fryar

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Good tid-bit from Reiss on a kid I don't know anyone isn't rooting for. Plus, throw this attitude in with a locker room full of young potential with veterans like Brady to lead them and I can't help, but get psyched for the season to start!

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
Re: A neck thick like Ted Johnsons.

i most definetely have not counted mckenzie out....however i dont really see any difference whatsoever in their skillsets, they seem interchangeable

am i right? or is one better at blitzing or coverage or instincsts or what?

i most definetely have not counted mckenzie out....however i dont really see any difference whatsoever in their skillsets, they seem interchangeable

Hard to say not having seen Spikes or Mckenzie in an actual game yet, but knowing BB this is what he covets. Guys who have specific strengths for certain situations and can be rotated in and out.

Of course, blowing up guards isn't the easiest or safest job in the NFL, so it's good to know that we have 2 guys who should be starting-caliber Mike LBs. I give McKenzie 6 games in 2010 before Spikes is the official starter, although I hope they be fairly interchangeable for the next few years. These two plus Guyton make a great combo for the near future.

Last edited:
If you ever expect the Pats to be good at stopping the run, they need an ILB that can blow sh*t up at the line of scrimmage. Ever since Ted Johnson left, their run defense has been extremely soft up the middle. Hopefully McKenzie or Spikes can be that guy.

never counted McKenzie out, very encouraging to see that he spent his off season here and used last year as an opportunity to learn the Patriot Way...

Really hope this guy makes an impact, one of those feel good stories..

Good tid-bit from Reiss on a kid I don't know anyone isn't rooting for. Plus, throw this attitude in with a locker room full of young potential with veterans like Brady to lead them and I can't help, but get psyched for the season to start!

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Thanks for posting. Every time they talk to this kid, it gets me more and more pumped for what I think he'll bring to the table. Can't have enough good young players.

I know neither guy has proven himself in the NFL and, yes, I do remember the anticipation over Monty Beisel, but somehow this feels a whole lot different.

Two guys who can play ILB, with Mayo and Guyton, one of whom is a stud and the other a speed demon who can cover Leon Washington. And two guys who could play ILB, very productive in college, not converting from DE; big, tough instinctive players with a team-first attitude and a work ethic a mile deep.

While everyone whines about 'where's the pass-rush gonna come from,' look how strong they are at a position that's been weak since TJ retired.

It's hard to say ... based on stopwatch times, McKenzie is more athletic, while on tape Spikes looks more instinctive.

SSDD

Thanks for posting. Every time they talk to this kid, it gets me more and more pumped for what I think he'll bring to the table. Can't have enough good young players.

+1

I like this kid's personality! Hopefully he is an active part of the LB core.

I'm in the same camp as you. I cannot wait to see what this kid can bring to the table.

I would fine-tune the "good young players" point though. I'm ok with a youth movement as long as the kids are focused, driven and would rather eat glass than lose a game.

By all accounts (including BBs) it seems that McKenzie is a pretty mature kid and will work his tail off to be the best he can be.

Go Tyrone!!

Based on his family history and preseverance, McKenzie is a guy who won't be denied.
If you build a defense from the middle out, we should now have solidity on all three levels.

Based on his family history and preseverance, McKenzie is a guy who won't be denied.
If you build a defense from the middle out, we should now have solidity on all three levels.

Yep. With both McKenzie, Spikes, and a fully healthy Mayo, I feel better about the ILB corp than I have in quite some time.

Interesting.

Something else. The details on Ted Larsen's contract reflect a four year deal.

2010: $320,000
2011: $405,000
2012: $490,000
2013: $575,000

Isn't this a bit unusual for a sixth round pick? I mean, specifically, locking him up for 4 years.

Interesting.

Something else. The details on Ted Larsen's contract reflect a four year deal.

2010: $320,000
2011: $405,000
2012: $490,000
2013: $575,000

Isn't this a bit unusual for a sixth round pick? I mean, specifically, locking him up for 4 years.

It's not exactly big money, whats the guaranteed portion? If he doesn't pan out then it won't cause any financial issues to cut him. (I think he will make the 53 as the 5th interior lineman or maybe he will catch the "rookie flu").

Solidity ?????????????????

Solidity ?????????????????

yeah

Main Entry: so·lid·i·ty
Pronunciation: \sə-ˈli-də-tē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural so·lid·i·ties
Date: 14th century

1 : the quality or state of being solid
2 : something solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back