PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

8th straight AFCCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 D over 2018 D?

I stand by what I said.

Look at the 02 D starters and tell me which ones you bench in favor of 2018
How can you take any member of the 2018 post-season D off the field? It’s not about individual talent it’s about team play. The 2018 Divisional and Super Bowl full games and AFCCG first half really don’t leave much room for improvement. The ‘02 D could at best match that level of play, with a good risk of falling short.

How can you take any member of the 2018 post-season D off the field? It’s not about individual talent it’s about team play. The 2018 Divisional and Super Bowl full games and AFCCG first half really don’t leave much room for improvement. The ‘02 D could at best match that level of play, with a good risk of falling short.

I’m too lazy to look up the stats on my phone but i’m Pretty sure the ‘02 team let up 3 or 4 games in which a rusher went over 180 yds. I know LT and Rickey Williams make up two of those games ( maybe Ajman green too). Anyway, the 0-2 team maxed out at 9-7. If you look back they won all the close games to win 9 games and all of their losses were blowouts. They could have easily have been 7-9.

So yes, I agree I would go with the 18 squad too

An absolutely mind numbing stat. 8 straight afc championship games!

For this stat to be duplicated some team is going to have to be amazingly good, cap savy and avoid major injuries for nearly a decade! Hard to imagine anybody could be that lucky.

I'm looking purely player v player.

Out of the top 12-13 players on D 9 to 10 of them are on the 02 squad.

The fact that we are even comparing 18 to a legendary group of defensive players is a compliment of the highest order

Haha I was so dumb for thinking a 3-5 road team who lost to all non playoff teams couldn't win a road playoff game in KC LOOOOLL I should've seen that one coming like everyone else

We all had reasons to feel skeptical. The point is not to call ourselves 'dumb' but instead to look back and gain perspective on how great of an accomplishment their turnaround was. As you can see from this thread there was not much confidence in a championship just 'hope'. Now here we are celebrating a terrific run.

Even more impressive is that in order to win we had to beat two of the consensus best three teams all season (Chiefs and Rams, with Saints being the third great team).....with one of those being on the road.

If you look through the thread it seems any 'hope' was based on.....

1.) The chance of still getting home field advantage or....

2.) KC being knocked off in the divisional round and....

3.) Facing a team other than the Saints or Rams in the Super Bowl

None of those things happened, and yet here we are celebrating #6!

Not making the afccg this year. We are weak on defense and not as mentally tough as we usually are. One and done this year
I guess I was wrong lol

I guess I was wrong lol
I thought a realistic outcome was (1) win first weekend, (2) lose to KC.

The team was just SO inconsistent for much of the year. Luckily, the playoffs were amazing.

Even more impressive is that in order to win we had to beat two of the consensus best three teams all season (Chiefs and Rams, with Saints being the third great team).....with one of those being on the road.

Technically, the SB was also a road game, despite the preponderance of Pats fans there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back