Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Day 2, second Patriots practice - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Day 2, second Patriots practice
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
July 31, 2009 06:50 PM

FOXBOROUGH – The Patriots held their fourth overall practice of training camp today (3:45-5:00 p.m.), and it was once again in full pads. This practice was cut about 15 minutes short by torrential rain and lightning strikes.

Randy Moss, Matt Light and Stephen Neal, who didn’t practice in the morning, made their return to the field. Meanwhile, Joey Galloway, Jonathan Wilhite and Tedy Bruschi were among those who practiced in the morning who were not on the field this afternoon.

Here are a few observations that stood out:

1) Extra work for Julian Edelman. One mark of a player striving for excellence is acknowledging his weaknesses and working to improve them. Rookie receiver Julian Edelman falls into that category. After struggling in the morning practice catching punts, Edelman was the first player spotted on the field today, and was working one-on-one with special teams coach Scott O’Brien. A JUGS machine fired punts in his direction. During full-team work, Edelman was better catching punts, and he also delivered one of the catches of the day at receiver.

2) Laurence Maroney/Fred Taylor combination. As players arrived on the field from the locker room, it was interesting to note that Maroney and Taylor were side by side, chatting it up. It has been mentioned before that Taylor had the label of being an injury-prone running back early in his career, and worked hard to shed that reputation. Maroney is currently in that situation, and it appears as if the two have struck up a rapport.

...I too have seen Maroney and Taylor running warmups together.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Friday afternoon thoughts

From the Hart: Friday afternoon thoughts

Written by Andy Hart on July 31, 2009 – 6:22 pm

–Terrence Nunn, Darius Butler, Mike Richardson and Matthew Slater continued to work together in gunner drills in pre-practice work.

–Kevin Faulk made a nice, one-handed catch in positional drills early in practice. Faulk beat 1-on-1 coverage on a short out to the right to haul in the pass with his outstretched left hand. Faulk has looked sharp over the first two days displaying his usual impressive hands as well as much quickness as ever.

–Sam Aiken seems to take the initial reps at personal protector in front of Chris Hanson in most punt drills. That critical spot in terms of setting the protections was formerly held down by now-Jet Larry Izzo.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Paul’s Calls: Primary improvement

Paul’s Calls: Primary improvement
Written by Paul Perillo on July 31, 2009 – 6:27 pm

Friday afternoon’s practice was a prime example. At the tail end of the workout, just before we were forced to scurry off the field like scared schoolgirls for the second straight day, the team worked on some two-minute drills. The defense lined up in a nickel package and there was an almost entirely different look to the group than last year.

Rookie Darius Butler and free agent pickup Leigh Bodden lined up outside with Shawn Springs, another newcomer, working in the slot in front of safeties Brandon Meriweather and rookie Patrick Chung. Meriweather was the only member of the group who was part of the struggling secondary in 2008.

When that drill ended and another unit came on, Butler remained on the field but moved inside while Terrence Wheatley and Mike Richardson handled the duties outside. Brandon McGowan and James Sanders were the safeties. Again, only Sanders was part of the group a year ago as Wheatley spent most of the year on IR while Richardson didn’t see too much action on defense. (It should be mentioned that Jonathan Wilhite, who saw plenty of action in the slot a year ago, was not dressed for the afternoon workout.)

http://patsblog.projo.com/2009/07/camp-session-4.html

Camp session #4 - attendance and notes
5:18 PM Fri, Jul 31, 2009
By Shalise Manza Young

Another session cut short by storms -- this afternoon, it was about 25 minutes, as the sky went from gray to black in a matter of minutes and thunder was heard not too far in the distance. Moments after Bill Belichick blew his whistle to call practice, the skies opened.

The Patriots were in the midst of their first 11-on-11 two-minute work of camp when it was called.

Randy Moss, Matt Light and Stephen Neal, who weren't present for the morning session, were on the field for the second practice. However, several other players weren't spotted:

WR Joey Galloway
DL Richard Seymour
LB Tedy Bruschi
CB Jonathan Wilhite
DL Jarvis Green
OL Ryan O'Callaghan
C/G Al Johnson
DL Darryl Richard
DL Myron Pryor

* In 11-on-11 (non-two-minute) work, Tom Brady shouted an unprintable-in-these-parts expletive after being off the mark on a pass to Alex Smith (if you must know, it rhymes with duck!). Julian Edelman showed that his hands might not be so bad, making a nice catch over Shawn Springs and another defender, and saving Kevin O'Connell, since it might not have been the best idea to throw into such a tight spot in double coverage. A couple of plays later, Jerod Mayo got UP to bat down an O'Connell pass.

* With Brady under center in two-minute work, the first-team offense didn't make it to the end zone. The first two plays were passes to Kevin Faulk, the third a pass intended for Wes Welker over the top with Springs in coverage that looked like an overthrown ball. A Brady sneak got a new set of downs, a pass to Welker, a pass to Moss (out of the shotgun), and then Brady stopped the clock. The final play was a pass for Welker over the middle that was low and incomplete.

* Of note: Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather were the safeties with the first-defense on that series. When Kevin O'Connell and the 2's were on the field, the safeties were James Sanders and Brandon McGowan.

Training Camp Notebook: Friday PM

7/31/09
Training Camp Notebook: Friday PM
By Erik Scalavino
News and notes from the second practice of Day 2.

Who's Hot: Terrence Nunn
The rookie wide receiver has made some impressive catches through the first two days of camp.

Who's Not: Shawn Springs
Fresh off the non-football-injury list, the veteran corner looked a bit winded at practice Friday afternoon, particularly during the 2-minute offense session.

Play of Practice: Edelman’s catch in traffic
During full-squad action, backup QB Kevin O’Connell fired a pass to the rookie receiver from Kent State, who made a leaping grab over the heads of two defenders, Springs and rookie safety Patrick Chung. He hit the ground but still managed to secure the ball for the completion.

Last edited:
HMMM i wonder if the Media would be better served to split up becuase I have heard some similar comments which I didn't notice Like Springs being winded. (not that he wasnt) but wonder if they were talking bout it together and would rather they all form their own opinions (maybe they came to the same conclusion seperately)

HMMM i wonder if the Media would be better served to split up becuase I have heard some similar comments which I didn't notice Like Springs being winded. (not that he wasnt) but wonder if they were talking bout it together and would rather they all form their own opinions (maybe they came to the same conclusion seperately)
I believe the media are restricted to a specific location(s) and have pretty similar perspectives of the field. And yes, if you think back just a few months to the brouhaha when some dork website guy was listening in on a conversation inside the pressroom and reported it on his website, you'll probably recall how the folks all working cheek by jowl together tend to discuss things together as they are covering it.

Last edited:
After they congregate and get a feel for what each other's stories may be perhaps it is a case of learning from the past that if they don't take the offensive (i.e., try to be the first to break the news), then they end up going on the defensive because they are labeled as having missed out on news that was made public by a rival. Kind of a damned if you do (for following the herd), damned if you don't (why didn't you include this info!) situation.

Perhaps some of those that post here that are part of the media might share their thoughts. Even if they were not restricted to specific areas I'm guessing most would end up congregating together anyways; what then, force each member of the media to his own section?

I was just saying and to be honest I think for the most part the Media covering this team is great (herald and a few select few aside) especially with their Camp reports. Just that when something is reported by more than pne of them it really makes it seem more accurate (specifically as it relates to camp observations) and I don't think it was as blatant as they made it seem. I mean is it really a reason to put someone in the down category because they were winded at the end of a two minute drill at the end of double sessions of their first practice especially when the reason he missed day one was reported to be a wek long illness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye