Votes: 4 6.9%
  • punt

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Today is the deadline for exercising 5th year option. Pats have 2 options with Wynn and Sony.
By the new rule exercising options fully guarantees both 2021 salary and 2022 option.

Wynn = 2M + 10.4M option
Sony = 1.8M + 4.5M option

Neither price tags are excessive but both had injury issues so it will be interesting to see how they go about it.

Sony is probably unlikely not just bc of durability concerns but also positional value esp. in NE and the fact they drafted Stevenson.

Without injury concerns Wynn would be no brainer from positional value alone. None of the starting tackles is signed for 2022 so this should also be considered from positional security and flexibility. Above all Wynn is a great LT when healthy and there's a big price to pay in Free Agency for even average starting tackles.

On the other hand BB showed he can roster solid starters at tackle in any circumstance (at least at the beginning of season), OL development seems to be in good hands even after Dante and he is the one least “afraid“ of Free Agency.

Securing Wynn for next two seasons costs 12.4M of guaranteed $ and cap.
Not taking the option gives them a chance for more flexibility (at least cap wise) if they can agree to a long term deal over next year.
In the end there is option of Franchise Tag to secure 1 tackle spot for 2022. It will be around 15M next year.

So security or flexibility - what would be your move?

Last edited:
Flexibility but I would prefer security. But given there is only a 2.5 million difference between FT and option I see them not picking it up

Sony is a no for obvious reasons.

If Wynn had any durability at all i'd be a no brainer. I'd rather see an extension where they'd offer him more $ based on playing time...

I really don't know what they are going to do ..

Last edited:
Same here not sure which way it will go. It maybe obvious but the coaches etc must have the low down on all the injuries etc and forecast the potential game availability going forwards. Wynn has been pretty good when he is on the field and Sony has shown what he can do

I am guessing but maybe Sony will not make it just due to the type of injury he has been reported to have (bone on bone knee issue)

I’d be interested in DAL LB Leighton Vander Esch for a fairly reasonable price, since DAL is expected to decline his option. He has excellent size & is productive when healthy. That cervical spinal stenosis is scary though..

I’d be interested in DAL LB Leighton Vander Esch for a fairly reasonable price, since DAL is expected to decline his option. He has excellent size & is productive when healthy. That cervical spinal stenosis is scary though..
I agree he looks a pretty good player but I had heard he had back/neck issue. I think it was known when he was drafted ?

I agree he looks a pretty good player but I had heard he had back/neck issue. I think it was known when he was drafted ?

We have tried the "great talent " but often injured route. I think BB should stick to his own advice that "availability is the best ability". Having said that Wynn's injuries are never serious or long term like Vander Esch so I would try to sign him or pick up the 5th year.

Nice to see so much optimism for Wynn's option. Would be a nice surprise to see Bill go security/ability over flexibility/availability and would definitely make my day!

I say punt on all of them. Wynn even when healthy has deficiencies. Nothing to add on Sony.

NFL.com has a 5th year option tracker that has a few interesting names on it so far

Wynn is good both without out top 2 CB and T not locked for the future you can tag 10.5M on Wynn. Extend him, trade or let him go but this number is absurd.

The line is better with a healthy Wynn no question. They could be special.

The $10m guaranteed in 2022 for a fragile LT is a concern but the cap will (theoretically) go back to normal levels so if he's winds up on IR all year they'll have a quality depth replacement behind him.

Glad they optioned Wynn. As for Sony, if they can James White to the type of contract they just did, 4.5 looks like a lot.

I'd love to see them extend him, though, and use him as the third down back. I want them to throw him the ball!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back