PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Super Bowl wins as a starting QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Maybe this is a little homerish but honestly... if Brady's record isn't unbreakable I think it's pretty close.

Eli and Ben with 2. I think the windows are getting smaller and highly doubt they're winning 3-4 more.

Rodgers might have a title contention run in him but 4-5 more? Nah.

Ryan... see Rodgers

Too early to judge Dak's chances.

Wilson has 1 and he's young... but I don't think the Seahawks are constructed for a long term run

Everyone else...lol.

And of course Commissioner #Integrity will make sure there's #parity across the league.

The only thing that might change that is ironically... Brady himself. With his nutrition and training lifestyle prolonging his career as an elite athlete...and the rest of the league taking notice.

I would bet we don't see 4 again in my lifetime. Lots of teams, lots of parity. Nobody could get five through the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. The league has only gotten bigger and more competitive.

To do that a QB really needs to play at an extremely high level for at least 10 years (and it would mean winning the superbowl an average of every other year!) and probably 15 years is more like it. This is almost inconceivable and requires an unbelievable combination of ability and durability. Maybe in 2 decades with advances in sports science and medicine it might become more reasonable, but I agree this appears to be a virtually unbreakable record.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
You forgot Garoppolo. He already has 2.

If you think about it he might be the QB its easiest to imagine winning 5. Say he stays with the Pats. Pats win next year and Brady retires. Garoppolo has 3 rings. Garoppolo takes over for Brady and wins 2 more ring over a 10-12 year long career. Finishing with 5 rings :D

We don't know. It will almost certainly never be broken if he stays at 5 but could be tied.

Lets do some quick math. 12 QBs have won 2 or more super bowls. Brady, Ben R. Manning, Manning, Elway did it after the cap. The other 7 (Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw, Griese, Plunkett, Starr, Stuabach) won theirs before the cap and luckily there is no over lap here.

The only QB to win more than 2 post cap is Brady. There were 23 Super bowls with the cap and 28 without.

We should expect a 5 to 7 split statistically for multiple super bowl winning QBs or close to and it turns out that is exactly what we have. This tells me the cap did not effect a QBs chance to string together 2 wins. As far as 3 or more? We have no idea. We had 3 in 28 years so should expect 1-3 in 23 but so far only one. However that is hardly enough data but we are getting to the point that the longer there is not a 3 time winner the more we can conclude a QB getting more than 2 may be tricky in the salary cap era.

However depending on what Rodgers/Brees/Wilson/Flacco and other QBs do it could perhaps be said a QB is more likely to win 2 these days. We don't know yet.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the other QB with 2 is Jimmy G... do we consider him in this category: "QBs [that] have won 2 or more super bowls"? he wasn't the QB in the game, but he has 2 rings..

As mentioned above, the other QB with 2 is Jimmy G... do we consider him in this category: "QBs [that] have won 2 or more super bowls"? he wasn't the QB in the game, but he has 2 rings..
No that doesn't count. Nobody talks about Bledsoe being a SB winner either even though he has a ring.

Updated the title for accuracy. This is only about starting QBs and always was.

Nobody considers Damon Huard or Rohan Davey Super Bowl winning QBs even though they received rings.

Forgot about Brees. But he's only a year and a half younger than Tom.

We don't know. It will almost certainly never be broken if he stays at 5 but could be tied.

Lets do some quick math. 12 QBs have won 2 or more super bowls. Brady, Ben R. Manning, Manning, Elway did it after the cap. The other 7 (Montana, Aikman, Bradshaw, Griese, Plunkett, Starr, Stuabach) won theirs before the cap and luckily there is no over lap here.

The only QB to win more than 2 post cap is Brady. There were 23 Super bowls with the cap and 28 without.

We should expect a 5 to 7 split statistically for multiple super bowl winning QBs or close to and it turns out that is exactly what we have. This tells me the cap did not effect a QBs chance to string together 2 wins. As far as 3 or more? We have no idea. We had 3 in 28 years so should expect 1-3 in 23 but so far only one. However that is hardly enough data but we are getting to the point that the longer there is not a 3 time winner the more we can conclude a QB getting more than 2 may be tricky in the salary cap era.

However depending on what Rodgers/Brees/Wilson/Flacco and other QBs do it could perhaps be said a QB is more likely to win 2 these days. We don't know yet.
Wouldn't really count that, if you know what I mean :eek:

I am hoping tommy get's six. It would be unreachable.

Brady and the Patriots need another to be the sole record holder.

Bart Starr was the starting quarterback on five NFL championship teams from 1961-67.

Otto Graham also won seven championships as a starting QB, but only three were in the NFL (four in the AAFC prior to merging).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes