PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 out of the 6 losses

Marko

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
As bad as the losses looked 5 out of the 6 losses came down to the defense needing to make a stop with the chance to win or tie. Obviously, football is a team sport and if the offense played better earlier this wouldn’t be an issue, but it is noteworthy. In fact in every loss but Tampa and Miami, the defense not only failed to get a stop, but gave up a score. At this point, Bill might want to consider taking some more risks when in these situations.

This board would’ve erupted had they lost to the Bills in the 1st meeting as the Bills were driving in their territory for a most likely game winning TD.

I was worried the running all game strategy was going to backfire. I don’t think throwing a couple screens or quick passes here and there wouldn’t have hurt.

Truth

We have the Worst Co-DCs (and the Worst Special Olympics Teams coach) in football. Neither Mayo nor Little Steven would be where they are on Any. Other. Team. but this one.

Yet some people here claim that this is the 3rd-best defense in the league… It is to laugh…

I agree that the defense being unable to make a clutch stop in the second half was disappointing. But I question if it was because they were just simply gassed at that point. Football is the ultimate team game - not just for the 11 players on the field on a play, but in regards to complimentary football.

Take a look back at the first half of the last game, for example. Other than the second drive that resulted in a TD, here is how New England's offense performed:
1.) 3-and-out, Bills take over on their 39.
3.) 3 plays, one first down, interception; Bills take over on the NEP 32.
After the Pats D stops Buffalo on a 4th-and-one:
4.) 3-and-out, Bills take over on the NEP 42.
5.) Pats offense gets a 1st down on a 3rd down roughing the passer call - then blow a chance for points on an unsportsmanlike penalty.

With the exception of the one scoring drive, the Patriots had just 22 YARDS OF OFFENSE! Including the TD drive the Patriots ran just 27 offensive plays. The lack of offense was constantly giving Buffalo excellent field position. That is where the game was lost - in the first half.

The previous week against Indy the game was lost in the first half as well: a blocked punt returned for a TD, and an interception in the red zone. As for the final non-stop/TD, that came with two minutes less when it appeared as though the Pats were selling out to stack the line of scrimmage to stop the run. In other words, they were indeed taking a chance on defense. In this case it didn't work out - but a loss is a loss regardless whether it is by 3 or by 10.

In the loss to Dallas, the Pats gave up a pick-six with just over two minutes to play; they also had the ball first in overtime. The offense also began the second half with three straight punts on drives that gained a combined total of 30 yards.

Against New Orleans the Yards per Play and First Downs were nearly identical. The game was decided by another blocked punt for a touchdown, an interception returned inside the ten yard line, and then a pick-six to start the second half. Hard to blame that loss on the defense.

We have the Worst Co-DCs (and the Worst Special Olympics Teams coach) in football. Neither Mayo nor Little Steven would be where they are on Any. Other. Team. but this one.

Yet some people here claim that this is the 3rd-best defense in the league… It is to laugh…
The numbers say they are 1 or 2, but why let actual results cloud an opinion right?

Jmt nailed it. They have not been clutch this year , but they have been carrying our offense which has crippled us in a number of games so they deserve some slack. Only so much you can ask , and games like Sunday are bound to happen at least once or twice to any given defense no matter how good they are.

Jmt nailed it. They have not been clutch this year , but they have been carrying our offense which has crippled us in a number of games so they deserve some slack. Only so much you can ask , and games like Sunday are bound to happen at least once or twice to any given defense no matter how good they are.
Dallas and this week were the only poor games by the defense. You aren t #1 in the NFL by playing poorly.

Dallas and this week were the only poor games by the defense. You aren t #1 in the NFL by playing poorly.

Even the Dallas game, as bad as it looks for the d, we were up 21-20 with 2:40 left and we had just forced another stop on them, they miss a fg and we get the ball. All we need from the offense is one or two first downs and we hold on 21-20. Then we throw the pick 6. i get this offense wont put up 30 a game but better complimentary football would be a start (no more blocked punts from the punt unit would help too)

Nope; you can also become #1 by fattening your stats when you play the Little Sisters of the Poor…
I'm unclear what you are saying. Or are you saying that Mayo and Steve are bad, and the defense would be better against good offenses if they upgraded? Or do you think the defense is bad and it doesn't matter who the DC's are against good offenses?

I'm unclear what you are saying. Or are you saying that Mayo and Steve are bad, and the defense would be better against good offenses if they upgraded? Or do you think the defense is bad and it doesn't matter who the DC's are against good offenses?
I believe he’s saying their ranking of #1 defense is overrated as those rankings tend to be.

Almost every single .500ish NFL team every year is a few drives going differently away from having a much better record. This isn’t special. It also ignores the unforced mistakes that the Cowboys, Bucs, Bills made themselves that even kept the Pats in the game.

Pats are 9-6 and deserve to be.

" I agree that the defense being unable to make a clutch stop in the second half was disappointing. But I question if it was because they were just simply gassed at that point."

They were definitely gassed. Being out there 11+ more minutes than Bills D had an effect. That's almost a full quarter.

This board would’ve erupted had they lost to the Bills in the 1st meeting as the Bills were driving in their territory for a most likely game winning TD.

I was worried the running all game strategy was going to backfire. I don’t think throwing a couple screens or quick passes here and there wouldn’t have hurt.
Waiting for @One-If-By-Sea to call you a big baby

I’m expecting someone will.
To your point, yea I'm right with you. It was funny to meme all over Buffalo, and dunk on them with "We passed 3 times and won LOOOLLL" jokes, but it could've easily backfired. And there were plenty (at least 5) good spots to try a play-action fake or even just a quick screen.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back