PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4th RB/Blount with PIT

JerseyShore99

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Little upset Blount is gone but thank him for service, one of my favorite Pat RB's in recent memory...and an "interesting" KR. But what type of RB is BB looking to pick up this May via Draft? Speed/versatility/pass catch threat (De'Anthony Thomas, Archer), a guy who can carry the rushing load (Mason), a balanced RB (Ben Malena), or strictly power (Hyde)? I personally like lots of RBs in this year's draft (Mason, Hyde, Freeman, Wilder Jr., Thomas, Josey, Tyson-Gulley, Millard, Hall) and recognize a few others as potential stars (Carey, Seastrunk, Sankey). But so far BB has only contacted Malena, Whitlock, Archer, Grice, Houston, and Johnson. What RBs and types of RBs do you like for NE to draft or think BB will take?

My guess is a workhorse back and future Ridley replacement (I like Tre Mason or Lache Seastrunk) and a Vereen backup (Marion Grice is my favourite here).

And I really like Tre Mason who I think will be an upgrade on Ridley.

My guess is a workhorse back and future Ridley replacement (I like Tre Mason or Lache Seastrunk) and a Vereen backup (Marion Grice is my favourite here).

And I really like Tre Mason who I think will be an upgrade on Ridley.
I really like Mason as well but don't where we can pick him without trading down or reaching for him at 29. Do you think Vereen will be extended eventually? Is BB done with with his power game experiment? (Blount, Develin, Hooman, Mulligan)

I really like Mason as well but don't where we can pick him without trading down or reaching for him at 29. Do you think Vereen will be extended eventually? Is BB done with with his power game experiment? (Blount, Develin, Hooman, Mulligan)

1. I certainly wouldn't pick Mason at 29 or trade up. If he's there at 62 I'd take him. If not, I might trade back from 62 and pick Seastrunk in the third. I currently have those two some way ahead of the others. Stephen Houston of Indiana is intriguing but I haven't seen enough to form an opinion. I'd also consider McKinnon from the 3/4th onwards or Taliaferro later.

2. I think they'd like to extend Vereen but his injuries could be an issue. If he's fully fit all year, I think we'll give him a good deal. More injuries however and we'll write in a lot of protection into any contract we offer. Unless Ridley comes back cheaply I think he's a goner.

3. I think McDaniels has always wanted to have the ability to involve a FB in the offense. If we draft a TE then Hooman might replace Develin on the roster as someone who could play a FB role.

1. I certainly wouldn't pick Mason at 29 or trade up. If he's there at 62 I'd take him.

I really don't think we need to use a 1st or a 2nd on a RB. Day three should have a back available that fits our offense.

I really don't think we need to use a 1st or a 2nd on a RB. Day three should have a back available that fits our offense.

Not as good as Mason.

And don't forget Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley were both picked before where our 3rd rounder is this year.

Two talented, but red flag rb's I'm curious about is Jeremy Hill, and Isaiah Crowell.

well, we should not have to spend a draft pick in a RB in this draft, I think this situation could have been handled a little better, BB though it was under control and actually escaped from his hands.

Not as good as Mason.

And don't forget Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley were both picked before where our 3rd rounder is this year.

Perhaps. But the problem is that we have too few picks this year, and a TE and a DL and a future IOL are more important needs than RB this year. I think we can get a pretty good RB of the future in round 3 or 4. Looking at the depressed value of RBs on the open market this year, I believe that RBs fall until later rounds in the draft as well.

If we could get Seastrunk with our 4th rounder, I'd be ecstatic and consider the 'RB of the future' position filled. If we can't there's always Archer in the 6th or 7th. We need another KR now that Blount is gone.

Perhaps. But the problem is that we have too few picks this year, and a TE and a DL and a future IOL are more important needs than RB this year. I think we can get a pretty good RB of the future in round 3 or 4. Looking at the depressed value of RBs on the open market this year, I believe that RBs fall until later rounds in the draft as well.

If we could get Seastrunk with our 4th rounder, I'd be ecstatic and consider the 'RB of the future' position filled. If we can't there's always Archer in the 6th or 7th. We need another KR now that Blount is gone.

I agree, to many needs to fill and depressed value are valid points and we have good ones already on the roster.

I disagree about Archer though. Can't coach speed and I think he'll be long gone by round 6.

Popular names I keep seeing for a Blount replacement are Andre Williams of BC, Carlos Hyde of Ohio State, Tyler Gaffney of Stanford, and Charles Simms of WVU. Hyde would be my top option however it would be nice to have a powerback that can succeed in typical NE conditions as well (cold, rain, snow, sleet). I can't really find a powerback like that but I know tailback Prince-Tyson Gulley would put on shows tons of times while at Syracuse in rain and snow and cold. He's on the small side but BB does love smaller RBs as well. I just saw someone compare Hyde to Marshawn Lynch as well making me like him even more.

I just saw someone compare Hyde to Marshawn Lynch as well making me like him even more.

That is the current NFL RB that comes to mind when I watch Hyde as well.

I'm still intrigued by Wilder of FSU.

That is the current NFL RB that comes to mind when I watch Hyde as well.

I'm still intrigued by Wilder of FSU.
Two very different players but like them both a ton, wouldn't mind BB picking up either one

Antonio. Andrews. Love him.

Like Sankey too.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes