PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Won - What pick do we have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, last year's #8 pick was Jamaal Anderson:

Falcons signed DE Jamaal Anderson to a five-year contract that can max
out at $31 million. He will receive $15.361 million in guarantees.
He's the highest draft pick to sign thus far. Anderson can trigger a
$5 million escalator if he reaches 30 sacks in three years or 40 sacks
in four years - lofty goals.

341846.jpg

sp_merriman.jpg

Except Gholston did it without the 'roids :D

Last draft my man-crush was Chris Houston, today, December 23, 2007, I officially adopt Vernon Gholston as my man-crush for the 2008 Draft.

Re: 49ers Won- What pick do we have now?

Perhaps you have forgotten that the Pats once DID pass multiple times on a draft pick? (They wound up picking David Givens with it.)

Perhaps, separately, you have also forgotten that the NFL doesn't have any actual rules enforcing minimum contracts for players selected at specific points in the draft?

Perhaps you have forgotten that in the wake of the Vikings "missing" a top 10 pick a few years back the NFL handed down an edict that a team must make their selection at their designated pick.

Perhaps you seem to be suggesting that we would pick at #2 and then not even sign that person, allowing them to hold out and go back into the draft next year?

And by this you're suggesting that we're better off doing that than acutally using a #8 pick?

:wha:
:confused:
:eek:
:scared:

not certain, maybe PIT and SD could swap places, but maybe not enough to play full tilt.

The difference is:
A) Facing CLE/TEN vs. facing JAX in the wildcard round
B) Facing the Pats (crushed both of them in the regular season) vs. going to Indy in the divisional round.

Put it another way...if you were given your choice of roads to the Super Bowl, which would you pick?

1) home vs. JAX, away at NE, away at Indy
2) home vs. TEN/CLE, away at Indy, away at NE

With #1, you are looking at a serious chance at 1-and-done...and a slight chance of making the AFCC game. With #2, you are confident of making the divisional round and you avoid the Pats until you are one game from the Super Bowl. I think the Bolts and Steelers will be taking it serious. Only if the Steelers lose the early game will we likely see the Bolts taking the late game off.

Last draft my man-crush was Chris Houston, today, December 23, 2007, I officially adopt Vernon Gholston as my man-crush for the 2008 Draft.

If Gholston projects into a McGinest-like role, then he should be the pick. You can get a solid ILB later in the first day (look for Jonathan Goff in round 3). That leaves 2 other day 1 picks for the secondary or just getting the golden "slipper".

Last edited:

Perhaps you have forgotten that in the wake of the Vikings "missing" a top 10 pick a few years back the NFL handed down an edict that a team must make their selection at their designated pick.

Do you have a link to this edict because I do not recall such an edict being handed down???

So are we getting Kenny Phillips or Vernon Gholston? :D

I'm not sure about Gholston. He could very well be picked in the top 5

I like where we are, teams are more likely to move up for one of the QB's at this spot now.

People are going to say I'm crazy - but I was never that keen on being stuck with a #2 pick that requires we pay a guy who hasn't played ONE down in the NFL the same amount of pay and salary cap as say, Richard Seymour.

For those who simply say - well, we'd just trade out of #2 - there's a lot of other teams who feel exactly the same way about the value that high, given the outrageous salaries those rookies at #2 command.

And ask the 49ers how happy they are to have committed so much salary to one of their recent top picks - namely their QB?

It's not a given we'd be able to trade out of #2. I feel much more comfortable at say, #5 (thinking we could trade down out of that easier than #2) and actually think that something around #8 could be optimum quality and value in the first round.

I've never bought into this. If the pick could not be traded for value and the Pats see no value in the players available at a given time/slot, what is to stop them from letting the clock run and picking up the first value pick they see? You can't lose with a high pick.

Has BB ever drafted LB on day one? I can't remember having a rookie LB that played much in year one.

Perhaps you have forgotten that in the wake of the Vikings "missing" a top 10 pick a few years back the NFL handed down an edict that a team must make their

I doubt this because given the time limit (10 minutes) how do they enforce this?

I think Gholston will be there at 8.

The best we can expect now is the 5th pick and the worst pick would be 9th. Do I have this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes