PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 games in (EDIT Now HALF)/, let's talk spending spree (SUPER EDIT Regular season ending extravaganza)

Well this post didn't age well... Did Chubb even play yesterday?

Was out. Lucked out with Cleveland's 3 best RB's all out (didn't stop their backup from running all over Bentley on their first drive). And last week McCaffrey was hobbled. We are getting teams at their worst.

Judon's not underpaid; he's About Right.

Bourne & KVN are minor over-pays.

Mills, Godsmack, Agholor & Smith are ALL Comical Over-pays.

Upon reflection I am switching Bourne to the About Right category, though I still didn't like the way he put the ball on the ground again Sunday although he was ruled down by contact...

REGULAR SEASON RATINGS POSTED

The weekend has just been blown wide open, you're welcome

We basically gave Agholor all that money to be a decoy. Not sure why anyone expected the Agholor of 2020 when he came here. He had Ruggs and Waller to take the attention away from him.

So with Smith and Agholor underperforming, others performing about as paid (middle of the pack at their positions), and others being full successes, we can call this money well spent, given that the averages panned out, the money had to be spent anyway, the team is in the playoffs, and a rookie QB had one of the greatest years in rookie QB history (made possible by having free agent veterans around rather than rebuilding entirely with other rookies).

Conversely, we can be entitled, pessimistic, and use "what didn't work well" as evidence that everything is awful.

Smith and Agholor have been giant whiffs.
Yup. Agholor is just running 7, 8, and 9 routes with the occasional screen thrown in to take the safety with him if the defense is in Cover-1 or Cover-3 (or if they’re pattern-matching on that side). That’s why I said he’s just been an expensive decoy. He was good in LV because he was usually singled up with the defense’s CB2 or CB3. He isn’t getting that kind of coverage here.

Yup. Agholor is just running 7, 8, and 9 routes with the occasional screen thrown in to take the safety with him if the defense is in Cover-1 or Cover-3 (or if they’re pattern-matching on that side). That’s why I said he’s just been an expensive decoy. He was good in LV because he was usually singled up with the defense’s CB2 or CB3. He isn’t getting that kind of coverage here.

Can we cut them. Use $$$ to re-sign JC and/or sign a free-agent #1 WR ?

1642258670918.png

View attachment 39953
No. Smith is signed for four years - you feel like eating 25+million, or whatever it would be?

Agholor has one more year - save $5 million, eat $10 million.

Is Godwin even playing before mid-season next year?

Godchaux has been playing well the last 6 games, hence our run defense has been much improved, I think people dismiss him because he's not a sack guy, but he's come in and done what he's supposed to do, "stop the run".

Asking fans to correctly value how well a A/B gap defender plays can lead to misunderstandings of their actual role.

I'm not really sure what fans had for an expectation for God.

Not all D-lineman have the impact like Barmore.

God has played over 50% of the defensive snaps.

If he was getting consistently blown off the ball he'd be playing much less if not at all.

Hes been more than fine.

Sorry Ashley, unless he came in and had 46 TFL and 12 sacks by this point in the season - he's a bust dontcha know?

I mean that's exactly what is asked for in this defense of its interior linemen, they don't have to learn gap discipline, adjust to new teammates, occupy blockers so others can make plays - they have to rack up statistics or they're human excrement.

And the improved run defense shown in the last couple games where they've schemed to address the run versus the pass? All Judon. 100%. No one else is worth the money outlaid this offseason - he's doing it all, all by himself - in fact, hasn't he been the only one on the field a lot of snaps? It's just when they deem to bring in the other guys that teams do well.

Care to re-evaluate those evaluations?

View attachment 39953
You can’t afford Adams. Godwin won’t be worth much to you for much of next year, and he’s gonna cost quite a bit. Robinson would probably give you something, depends on how fast he picks up the system. He’d be a little spendy, and he’s long in the tooth. We know he can play in cold weather. He’d be the most likely addition of those 3 imo. Cut Agholor and you save 5M but he takes a hit of 10M in dead money. If you can get a receiver for 5M that will match his production, it’ll be a wash.

*EDIT*
Basically everything Fitty said!

A quarter half THE WHOLE of the regular season is done. Time to pass judgment, thusly being forced into defend it forever. EDIT THATS WHY IM GIVING OUT RATINGS THIS TIME.
Stick around to the end where I will give out a rating to the FA in general. WOW

Judon

Absolutely jstified his worth. Hopefully he'll slide into leadership role and become the guy on defense, who will go through a remake one way or the other when Dmac and Ht leave
- Halfway update: Yep. Nothing more to be said
Well, there was a turn of events... His ending finished with a spurt, which is fine, given that the whole #D became a bit worse towards january, but he is still a slam dunk signing. I am really excited to what we are going to do with him next year, when the D staff will have a whole offseason to scheme around him. 9/10

Henry
So far, better than his counterpiece. Solid hands an good routes. But so far, not really that good at blocking
- Halfway update: First sentence becoming quite true. Second one becoming more false. Good to see
He continues to improve on the offense, and I love that he was able to stay healthy the whole year. In a couple of years, Henry will be a complete bargain and he will always be a force in the Redzone, thanks to his route running and awereness. Absolutely love him. 8/10

Smith
The most disappointing of all so far, albeir one game has really tainted this sample. He is really good at YAC tho, so there is a good chance he can recover.
- Halfway update: Still pretty bad IMO. Can do stuff with the ball in his hands, but if we need to design plays for him to run with it... might not be worth the investment (Still plenty of time tho, for better or worse)
The biggest disappointment of the class, Smith never got it going. I wont speculate on the reason why, Im only hopping he can improve in year 2. If he doesnt, early candidate for a cut/trade in year 3 of his contract? (dont know the cap stuff, wont look it up lol). Anyways, he is a solid blocker and good at YAC. Lets hope next year he is better, and Ill grade on this potential too, but there is no denying it: Not worth the contract. So far. PS- pls improve catching 4/10

Mills
Has surprised me a lot with his man coverage skills. He Might be a great Jones replacement once we sort our outside ****.
- Halfway update: Meh. He's decent, but not a guy we can stay comfortable as a #2 (or even #3). Needs more consistency
Roller coaster season. While he was bad in a few moments, he passed by most games unnoticed, which is a good thing overall. i dont think he has a high ceiling, but having a decent DB as #4 or #3 guy is very nice. At 6m per, not bad at all. 6/10

Godchaux

A signing I didnt like at the beginning and its showing I was right. Guy is fat, and thats about it. Flores is a heck of a DC and let him walk cheaply.
- Halfway update: Trash. Every time I look for him specifically he's being carried 5 yards back. Trash.
Well, well, well. Ive been saying. Ive been watching and reading your posts for a whooole season. And finally everyone comes around. JUST AS PLANNED.
Look, this guy is a guy i watched ever since the dolphins days (i really like Flores.) I saw him being mediocre there. I thought we overpaid for a guy who in his BEST SNAPS only goes latterally. Many times, unwillingly. A guy with slow feet and mediocre hands usage. But hey, he got 10 tackles once. He is a bad player, easily exploitable, and one of the reasons our Run D has been mediocre and bad the whole season. Bad signing, but not unexpected. 1/10

H. Anderson - Went on IR, so his contributions to team will remain the same.

Agholor
I still believe in him and I saw him open more than Mac's given him credit for. At his price tag tho? A bit disappointing
- Halfway update: Running out of time to make his contract worth, but I keep my last status
The best way to describe Agholor is... We miss him when he's not around. Maybe he isnt a guy thats going to get 1000 yards on our system. But does he have to? It all comes down to his salary over production to me... So he is really tricky to rate, because guys that got more money some where else havent really lighten up the world on fire, but i doubt they are going back to the market. In the end, Im satisfied with Agholor. No dropsies for the season in general is good too 6.5/10

Bourne
I was skeptical, but has been a great addition. Can he become a proper Edelman replacemente? Idk
- Halfway update: Everythings sounds fair to me here
Biggest improvement, and by the end of the year, i think he is our best WR. Love his energy, love his play style. I now think he can be a Edelman clone in the playbook, not as in playing the same type of receiver, but being our Go-To-Guy in the clutch WR. I really really like him and he is cheap. 8/10

All in all, I have mixed feelings, but much bc our TEs havent really given the return I was expecting. If we end up missing the Playoffs, much will be talked aboit this.
- Halfway update: Henry becoming actually good makes for a good grade overall, but Jonnu Smith is starting to become a clear bust, at least in year 1

No more tiptoeing! This class has been.... GOOD! I mean, look at the ratings. Godsucks is the only misfire, given that Jonnu STILL HAS THE POTENTIAL to blossom, this is kinda unprecedent in Patriots history and a great sign that BB isnt completely senile yet. If this year becames the foundation of SB-caliber team in the coming years, this will be looked at as one of the best GM-years of all time (adding this amazing draft to the list). But lets focus on the present now, with what we had, our successes and our godchaux'es, this has been a good Spending spree.

FINAL RATING 7.5/10

--Returning Players, halfway update thoughts:

Van Noy - Ok guy, has bursts, but needs to be replaced as he is not the same. At 6M per, depending on what happens in the Offseason, wouldnt be hugely surprised if he is cut actually

Karras - I thought he was a steal then and continue to do so. Dont shoot me, but I prefer him over Andrews.

Bonus round - Covid returners - DMac and HT - HT has been better, but I think the wheels are falling off of both of thenm. Need to make plans for their replacements, next year (if it happens) will be the last.

Agree with your grades for Double-H, Bourne, JonNo Smith and Especially Godsmack;

Judon is closer to 7.5 than 9;

Greenhead Mills & Whoa Nellie Agholor are still Way Over-rated...Those two are 4s, just like JonNo Smith.

p.s.: DMac did play last season; maybe you were thinking of Bolden?

No. Smith is signed for four years - you feel like eating 25+million, or whatever it would be?

Agholor has one more year - save $5 million, eat $10 million.

Is Godwin even playing before mid-season next year?
If they don’t figure Smith out and get him performing, then that has to be one of the worst contracts in recent memory. The amount of dead money. Awful.

Care to re-evaluate those evaluations?
No but you are welcome to re-watch the MIA game and report back how many times they ran at God as opposed to Guy, Barmore, Judon, Davis and Ekuale.

Hint: Very few. Same with Wise.

Agree with your grades for Double-H, Bourne, JonNo Smith and Especially Godsmack;

Judon is closer to 7.5 than 9;

Greenhead Mills & Whoa Nellie Agholor are still Way Over-rated...Those two are 4s, just like JonNo Smith.

p.s.: DMac did play last season; maybe you were thinking of Bolden?
The thing of Judon is that, the same way i didnt grade it 10/10 after 4 games, i wont be downgrading 2.5 points for 4 bad games. There could be many reasons for lack of production at the end, so unless this becomes a thing (aka, he disapears next year and/or in this years playoffs), still a slam dunk sign to me. Ill keep the 9

Mills is better than the average DB. at 6 mil, he is on the borderline of being cheap. He can improve. I think 6 is still fair

But i wont defend Agholor... I might be biased here based on experiences, i cant deny it. 6.5 was generous

Judon is getting the Gronk treatment, or more accurately, the Chandler Jones treatment when he was here. He's constantly held, and sometimes makes plays in spite of it, so hasn't gotten the calls the last several weeks. I used to blame Jones' shoulder pads for making it easy to hold him, and the only thing I can see with Judon is that he is so fast up the field and so quick with his hands that he gets held on nearly every play. It's so routine the zebras don't notice...that's the only thing I can think of.

Judon and Bourne were the best signings.

Henry was good but he’s gotten away with a ton of push offs this year. When he’s not doing that, he disappears.

Mills and Godchaux were mediocre signings.

Smith was horrendous. You pay him all that money for trick plays out of the backfield. It seems like every time he actually gets the ball, it’s from the same designed play.

Judon and Bourne were the best signings.

Henry was good but he’s gotten away with a ton of push offs this year. When he’s not doing that, he disappears.

Mills and Godchaux were mediocre signings.

Smith was horrendous. You pay him all that money for trick plays out of the backfield. It seems like every time he actually gets the ball, it’s from the same designed play.
Is that on Smith or the OC or QB?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back