Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some interesting tidbits out from Mike Lombardi today:

The National Football Post | Sunday At The Post

Among the interesting lines:

- " I hear that OLB Aaron Curry might not be a lock in the top three and that the Chiefs might not have him targeted as their pick. The word around the league is the Chiefs are in love with DE Tyson Jackson of LSU and see him as another Richard Seymour type. Teams are worried (as I am) about Curry being a just a Sam Backer and not an effective blitzer. Curry is a fine football player, but it’s hard to pay the high cost of a top-three pick if he can’t rush the passer." Tyson Jackson to KC at #3 (or with a trade back) would really shake up the draft.

- "A general manger told me that he expects Cleveland to trade Brady Quinn this week but he’s not sure what team he will be heading to. The prevailing feeling in the NFL is that the Browns like Mark Sanchez and have spent considerable time getting to know everything they can about him. " With rumors that the Browns are also in love with Michael Crabtree, it sounds more and more likely that this pick could be used on offense.

- Also on Sanchez: "More on Sanchez: I keep hearing (and not from our own diehard ‘Skins fan Ray Gustini) that Washington is trying to find a way to move up and get the USC quarterback. Sanchez left Washington on Saturday and has spent considerable time with ‘Skins brass."

- On the top 2 OTs: " If the Rams go offensive tackle with the second overall pick, it will be Jason Smith of Baylor. They’re still looking to trade down, but it will be very hard to pull off with the cost of these picks so high." And "I’m hearing that there is some declining interest in former Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe heading into next weekend’s draft. Medical concerns regarding Monroe’s knee may limit how high he will be selected."

New England should offer their first round pick and a 7th to move up to a top 3 pick. The way the media is acting, those 3 teams would just jump at the opportunity.

New England should offer their first round pick and a 7th to move up to a top 3 pick. The way the media is acting, those 3 teams would just jump at the opportunity.

I was going to be more generous and suggest offering the Raiders a 4th round pick for #7. :D

if we are going to spend that much money on a player, wouldnt you guys rather try fitting in peppers? I mean, i know what you are saying, but it is a lot of money to pay for a guy that has never stepped on the field as an NFL player

Some interesting tidbits out from Mike Lombardi today:

The National Football Post | Sunday At The Post

Among the interesting lines:

- " I hear that OLB Aaron Curry might not be a lock in the top three and that the Chiefs might not have him targeted as their pick. The word around the league is the Chiefs are in love with DE Tyson Jackson of LSU and see him as another Richard Seymour type. Teams are worried (as I am) about Curry being a just a Sam Backer and not an effective blitzer. Curry is a fine football player, but it’s hard to pay the high cost of a top-three pick if he can’t rush the passer." Tyson Jackson to KC at #3 (or with a trade back) would really shake up the draft.

- "A general manger told me that he expects Cleveland to trade Brady Quinn this week but he’s not sure what team he will be heading to. The prevailing feeling in the NFL is that the Browns like Mark Sanchez and have spent considerable time getting to know everything they can about him. " With rumors that the Browns are also in love with Michael Crabtree, it sounds more and more likely that this pick could be used on offense.

- Also on Sanchez: "More on Sanchez: I keep hearing (and not from our own diehard ‘Skins fan Ray Gustini) that Washington is trying to find a way to move up and get the USC quarterback. Sanchez left Washington on Saturday and has spent considerable time with ‘Skins brass."

- On the top 2 OTs: " If the Rams go offensive tackle with the second overall pick, it will be Jason Smith of Baylor. They’re still looking to trade down, but it will be very hard to pull off with the cost of these picks so high." And "I’m hearing that there is some declining interest in former Virginia offensive tackle Eugene Monroe heading into next weekend’s draft. Medical concerns regarding Monroe’s knee may limit how high he will be selected."

The entire piece is an awesome read today, great work by Lombardi. Interesting about Tyson Jackson, I've been high on him since the beginning.

Last edited:
The Ronnie Brown note was the most compelling, especially after Bru talked about him on NFLTA...so which RB are the fishies targeting?

The Ronnie Brown note was the most compelling, especially after Bru talked about him on NFLTA...so which RB are the fishies targeting?

And the comment about watching Miss Valley St and Jerry Rice in a hotel in Houston. Makes you wonder how history would have been different had they NOT drafted Jerry Rice....Oh and it was the Patriots #16 (?) pick that they traded to SF to draft Rice....

"New England should offer their first round pick and a 7th to move up to a top 3 pick. The way the media is acting, those 3 teams would just jump at the opportunity."

If we had this pick; who would you take? I also don't think KC will take Curry.
Raji would be a better pick imo but what do I know.

I think there has to be a salary cap for the slots in the NFL soon. Its getting way out of hand for the top picks.
thanks

"New England should offer their first round pick and a 7th to move up to a top 3 pick. The way the media is acting, those 3 teams would just jump at the opportunity."

If we had this pick; who would you take? I also don't think KC will take Curry.
Raji would be a better pick imo but what do I know.

I think there has to be a salary cap for the slots in the NFL soon. Its getting way out of hand for the top picks.
thanks

Well, I was joking, obviously, since the Patriots first and seventh aren't going to get it done, but if the Patriots moved up to #3 somehow, I'd want the same thing I wanted last year, and the same thing I want lower in this draft's first round:

I want an elite left tackle. I think Oher can be that player.

Last edited:
"I want an elite left tackle. I think Oher can be that player."

First time I have hear this; everone else wants defense. It would be great to have this and than go all defense.

"I want an elite left tackle. I think Oher can be that player."

First time I have hear this; everone else wants defense. It would be great to have this and than go all defense.

No offense to 'everyone else', but Tom "F'ing" Brady is this team's bread and butter, which I thought became abundantly clear last season, despite Cassel's fine play. With Light and Kaczur both coming up on their contracts in the next 2 years, and Light getting up there in age, it's time to make sure the franchise is protected before worrying about who's going to be the next OLB. Even if they had to give up their top 2 picks in order to move up to 7 or 8, the Patriots would still have enough picks to take players in this draft which is billed as being very deep, maneuver in this draft AND push a pick or two forward to next season. Hell, with the 3 compensatory picks in play, there's no reason for the team to use any non-compensatory pick from the 3rd round down, really.

I was going to be more generous and suggest offering the Raiders a 4th round pick for #7. :D

Both you and DI make sense. In doing mock drafts that I have been dabbling in, compensation for trades is difficult. If you go by points to take first round one through five, you have to give up all of your first four choices to make the "value" number work. Throw that away. Now you can't pay attention to those numbers. It how many players in the top three rounds as as in player numbers you get back.
DW Toys

Well, I was joking, obviously, since the Patriots first and seventh aren't going to get it done, but if the Patriots moved up to #3 somehow, I'd want the same thing I wanted last year, and the same thing I want lower in this draft's first round:

I want an elite left tackle. I think Oher can be that player.

Agree on Oher but I think Saban would give BB the real info on Andre Smith. He might drop but even Mayoc et/al think he could be the real deal.
DW Toys

I too would love to get our LT of the future in this draft. I think we will have to trade up to do it because of the top 4 OTs in this draft (smith,monroe,asmith,oher) i see them all gone by either Buffalo at 11 or Washington at 13. What would it take to move up to say #8 and trade with Jacksonville? What did Jacksonville trade last year to move up from 26 to 8 to get Derrick Harvey? That would be a similar trade scenario.

No offense to 'everyone else', but Tom "F'ing" Brady is this team's bread and butter, which I thought became abundantly clear last season, despite Cassel's fine play. With Light and Kaczur both coming up on their contracts in the next 2 years, and Light getting up there in age, it's time to make sure the franchise is protected before worrying about who's going to be the next OLB. Even if they had to give up their top 2 picks in order to move up to 7 or 8, the Patriots would still have enough picks to take players in this draft which is billed as being very deep, maneuver in this draft AND push a pick or two forward to next season. Hell, with the 3 compensatory picks in play, there's no reason for the team to use any non-compensatory pick from the 3rd round down, really.

I totally and utterly agree and have said so for weeks. Go ask teams with grade A OLB's who have QB's who cant play who'd they rather have and why

In 5-10 years time Tom Brady wont be here anymore and that's why its imperative we keep him upright and give him time to play whilst he is

That's would I would take Beatty/Meredith and Mack/Unger on day one - or even trade up for Oher if he falls

If we can also get a S and an OLB project then great...

1) The patriots can have the best OT in the draft if they really want him. That man is Andre Smith.

2) The patriots have two full years, and three preseasons to develop a LT. There are likely many who might fit the bill later in this draft if they don't like A. Smith, Oher, Beatty, Loadholt or Meredith who are likely to be drafted on Day One. Britton is also available. Or we can wait until 2010 which will still give plenty of time for development.

3) Dante may believe that he has our 2011 LT in Light, Kaczur or even in LeVoir. Also, he may believe that TWO full years early is too much for a LT. Light is NOT old, nor will he be in two years. It is only on patriot boards that we see a huge problem with the quality of our current offensive line. Some think that the 2007 offense, with the current line was just fine. The offense should be even better this year with the improvements at WR and RB.

3) Some might suggest that the plan of the patriots is to extend Light and Mankins. Somehow I expect that Brady with be fine with that plan.

4) Another possibility is that the team sees a need for a stud RT. That is another matter entirely, but there are those available also, early and late.

4) Another possibility is that the team sees a need for a stud RT. That is another matter entirely, but there are those available also, early and late.

Loadholt looks like a possible stud at RT and the Pats won't have to trade up to get him. He should be available mid to late 2nd round.

Andre Smith obviously has a lot of talent but the 'turd factor' makes me too leery to take him for the Pats with a high to mid 1st round pick.

Last edited:
could get an tackle in the 2nd round

1) The patriots can have the best OT in the draft if they really want him. That man is Andre Smith.

1.) I don't expect Smith to make it to where New England is picking

2.) Oher's got more potential than Smith in my opinion, doesn't have the recent baggage of Smith's combine performance, and is already one of the best LTs in this draft.

3.) If BB thinks Smith will be better than Oher, then, as long as he succeeds in getting him, I'll be content with that choice.

2) The patriots have two full years, and three preseasons to develop a LT. There are likely many who might fit the bill later in this draft if they don't like A. Smith, Oher, Beatty, Loadholt or Meredith who are likely to be drafted on Day One. Britton is also available. Or we can wait until 2010 which will still give plenty of time for development.

1.) Light's a UFA after 2010, and Kazcur will be a RFA. Why on Earth would you want to risk getting into trouble at the tackle spot when you can solve it with one of the best LTs this year, given that this year and last year are the two best years there has been for LTs this decade? They've already passed on Clady, the guy who gave up a grand total of half a sack in his rookie season. I'd rather not need to hope that Dante can work magic on the next prospect when a potentially elite LT is in play and can be gotten instead.

2.) Recent reports I've seen seem to either imply or state flat out that there will be a run on the OT position, and waiting could be very costly in terms of who's available at the position. I don't want a 'step down' player.

3) Dante may believe that he has our 2011 LT in Light, Kaczur or even in LeVoir. Also, he may believe that TWO full years early is too much for a LT. Light is NOT old, nor will he be in two years. It is only on patriot boards that we see a huge problem with the quality of our current offensive line. Some think that the 2007 offense, with the current line was just fine. The offense should be even better this year with the improvements at WR and RB.

Light will be 31 when this season starts and 33 in 2011. Kaczur will be 30 when this season starts and 32 in 2011. People underestimate Kaczur's age because they forget that he was old by normal standards when he was drafted. If you want to claim that 33 is not old, for an LT, that's your right and you're welcome to that opinion. Given that Light's biggest weakness is probably his lateral explosion against speed rushers, and that will quickness will usually diminish before strength and technique, let's just agree to disagree here. I'd rather be overloaded at the position two years from now than find out that Light has lost some quickness and there's not a top shelf backup ready to step up.

3) Some might suggest that the plan of the patriots is to extend Light and Mankins. Somehow I expect that Brady with be fine with that plan.

Extending Light is fine. He can be part of a 3 man crew with the new LT and Kaczur. As I've mentioned before, a guy like Oher (or Smith, for that matter) should be able to play both sides of the line. Of course, given Neal's age and health issues, if Neal got hurt again, the team could also move Kaczur inside and move Light to the right side, where he wouldn't be facing the elite speed rushers as often. Either way, that elite LT would still be a great idea.

This makes no sense at all to me, in context, so maybe I'm missing something. Why would this team be in more need of a stud RT than a stud LT, when Light is older than Kaczur and his UFA status comes a year earlier?

Last edited:
Some have moved Loadholt into the first. 34 may be a great place for a quality RT. Belichick can work out whether the issues with Smith are serious. If Belichick is satsfied with the interviews with Smith, trading up to 9-16 and getting a LT for the next six years should be awefully tempting.

Loadholt looks like a possible stud at RT and the Pats won't have to trade up to get him. He should be available mid to late 2nd round.

Andre Smith obviously has a lot of talent but the 'turd factor' makes me too leery to take him for the Pats with a high to mid 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back