PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Harry has plenty of potential, but the biggest concern for me is not his supposed lack of speed but his play strength. For such a big dude he should be bullying DB's and he's just not.
Forget the fumble out of the end zone, his worst moment on Sunday was when he caught the pass on the touchline made a few yards and got knocked backwards onto his ass by the much smaller DB on a shoulder to shoulder hit. He saw the hit coming, had time to prepare and instead of lowering his shoulder and running through the DB, he kind of slowed up, cushioned the hit and fell backwards. He needs to toughen up in a hurry.
Outside of the lack of separation this is my biggest concern with him. He is a big guy who doesn't play like it. He got trucked by a much smaller DB, then couldn't find a way to get in the end zone and even worse fumbled the ball. Pair this with him getting bullied by Roby at the top of his route then just totally giving up and allowing a pick last year against Houston and it doesn't look good for him. I was hoping for him to be an Anquon Boldin type receiver and so far he looks like David Terrell.

Outside of the lack of separation this is my biggest concern with him. He is a big guy who doesn't play like it. He got trucked by a much smaller DB, then couldn't find a way to get in the end zone and even worse fumbled the ball. Pair this with him getting bullied by Roby at the top of his route then just totally giving up and allowing a pick last year against Houston and it doesn't look good for him. I was hoping for him to be an Anquon Boldin type receiver and so far he looks like David Terrell.

He has been bullying players as a blocker in the run game even last year. Why do you think he played as many snaps as he did in a gameplan that required a lot of run blocking if he truly is soft ? I don't understand people who are questioning his physicality or drive because there is more than enough data to show the opposite. Hell, the way he fought through contact of multiple players to get the first down during the drive that ended on the fumble is a perfect example of both.

But one play at the start of the game where he might have protected his shoulder injury -- for which he is on the injury report on -- is already enough confirm that he is still weak and not playing up to his size.

Criticise away on his route running and footwork because that where he is still catching up. But how about we don't invent other imaginary faults based on confirmation bias ?

He has been bullying players as a blocker in the run game even last year. Why do you think he played as many snaps as he did in a gameplan that required a lot of run blocking if he truly is soft ? I don't understand people who are questioning his physicality or drive because there is more than enough data to show the opposite. Hell, the way he fought through contact of multiple players to get the first down during the drive that ended on the fumble is a perfect example of both.

But one play at the start of the game where he might have protected his shoulder injury -- for which he is on the injury report on -- is already enough confirm that he is still weak and not playing up to his size.

Criticise away on his route running and footwork because that where he is still catching up. But how about we don't invent other imaginary faults based on confirmation bias ?
The Patriots had what? Four active receivers? Pretty sure no matter what he did he was going to have to play some snaps especially considering Edelman was being bubbled wrapped for half the snaps. If getting some snaps in an NFL game is the bar we have set for Harry then I guess yeah, throw him a parade but I am hoping he turns into a legitimate outside threat who uses his frame and strength to create separation. I want him to succeed. We desperately need him to succeed this year but regardless of whether he was protecting himself or not he should not be getting bullied like this...

Imagine Brady defending a young receiver like this:

And incidentally, on that Roby play linked above, notice how Harry gets his feet under him when he cuts. So he not only fails to get separation, but he's actually off-balance the whole way. Lazar has been talking a lot about this - he says it is fixable.

Lol this turned into a Harry thread. I know Harry is a first round but you people expecting too much out of Harry, lower you expectations, at least we got a starter. He still our 2nd best receiver and there's no one out there besides a trade that would make him our 3rd. If he was that bad, Bill would have cut him.

Like when people was mad at Sony last year, like you guys forgot he was one of the reason we made to the play-offs and won our last super bowl. Who wouldn't draft with their first round a player that would help win a super bowl. Legit blows my mind.

The only thing that disappointed me was the lack of Meyers on the field.

Lol this turned into a Harry thread. I know Harry is a first round but you people expecting too much out of Harry, lower you expectations, at least we got a starter. He still our 2nd best receiver and there's no one out there besides a trade that would make him our 3rd. If he was that bad, Bill would have cut him.

Like when people was mad at Sony last year, like you guys forgot he was one of the reason we made to the play-offs and won our last super bowl. Who wouldn't draft with their first round a player that would help win a super bowl. Legit blows my mind.

I agree on Myers. He had a red non-contact jersey on late in camp so maybe they held him back. Byrd did not get a target either. Let's see what happens this week. Cam is getting used to everyone.

The Patriots had what? Four active receivers? Pretty sure no matter what he did he was going to have to play some snaps especially considering Edelman was being bubbled wrapped for half the snaps. If getting some snaps in an NFL game is the bar we have set for Harry then I guess yeah, throw him a parade but I am hoping he turns into a legitimate outside threat who uses his frame and strength to create separation. I want him to succeed. We desperately need him to succeed this year but regardless of whether he was protecting himself or not he should not be getting bullied like this...

These 2 examples are pretty damning. Shows being very soft.

We could have easily found a back like Sony in the 5th or 6th round. He doesn’t have breakaway speed, isn’t elusive and can’t be used in the passing game. Backs like him are a dime a dozen. The homers on here can’t accept that though.

We could have easily found a back like Sony in the 5th or 6th round. He doesn’t have breakaway speed, isn’t elusive and can’t be used in the passing game. Backs like him are a dime a dozen. The homers on here can’t accept that though.

It was the exact same way with Laurence Maroney.

His fans probably ate Lucky Charms breakfast cereal and watched cartoons just like Laurence.

Do we really want a one-year rental?

It's one thing if the end result is winning the Super Bowl, but let's be realistic - that's not going to happen this season, and the compensatory picks would not arrive until the 2022 draft.

Its unlikely, but not impossible. Every once in a while teams that aren't fully complete catch lightning in a bottle for a playoff run (Giants beating Pats in SB as 1 example)

This team does need a long term solution at WR, we can't get by on having a QB who processes information like a computer anymore. We need talent that can get open or make plays in tight coverage

Harry still has a chance to be that, he had a lot of good plays against Miami that people are just deciding to have amnesia about because of that 1 effort play at the goal line where he made a bad mistake (and the defender made a great play)

Had the chance, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf were selected in our slots in the 2nd round when we traded up last year for JoeJuan Williams. Imagine having those guys, totally changes our offense (and return game) around. That one may haunt me for a LONG time. Then this year, had a chance to select several receivers with speed and separation, even when we drafted a kicker, there were several good receivers available. Bad drafting and ignoring receivers in the draft for years, have really hurt this offense.

I was a big Harry fan, just have a bad feeling about him, I hope I'm wrong and he becomes a huge part of this offense.
Yeah how great would it be to have Hardmsn who has caught 11 passes in his last 12 games?

I think someone already posted that Robinson has a slower 40 time than Harry.. and people dump on Harry constantly as being a "slow" receiver
Agreed, however..Robinson is “slow” BUT productive; which offsets his lack of speed. Additionally, he’s been productive with terrible QBs, so, in his case, the speed argument is nullified. With that being said, Harry still gets the benefit of the doubt in my book due to this being his “true” rookie season (barring another injury).

Last edited:
Hahaha good luck.
He is a free agent at end of season, so his value goes down, because you would have to resign him. I would think a 3rd would get it done (which pats do not have because it was was taken away by NFL in camera gate). Seems like he is kind of redundant with Harry. OBJ would make a lot more sense for Pats.

These 2 examples are pretty damning. Shows being very soft.

You obviously don't watch much college football. Harry was anything but soft for 3 years at AZ and even plays on that drive in the second half that were certainly not soft. Labeling him soft bc of those two plays is beyond dumb.

What the definition of a failed take on this site? If Captain Stone is the only person to agree with your post, you have failed.

You obviously don't watch much college football. Harry was anything but soft for 3 years at AZ and even plays on that drive in the second half that were certainly not soft. Labeling him soft bc of those two plays is beyond dumb.

What the definition of a failed take on this site? If Captain Stone is the only person to agree with your post, you have failed.

factual evidence of Harry being soft and you can’t dismiss it. It also wasn’t posted by stone but someone else. I’ve seen his Arizona tape but it’s mostly of him leaping. He isn’t a physical receiver who will run over DBs. He’s a slow WR who tries to box out or jump but this isn’t translating in the NFL. He averages under 8 yards per catch, worse than tight ends. He’s slow. He gets brought down by DBs 40 pounds lighter. He makes bone head turnovers that may have lost the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes