PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 reasons why I accept a week 1, 1 point loss to the Dolphins

Not a terrible loss, but we could easily be 1-3 with only one road game played because Saints and Bucs will be really tough.

I mean it be nice if the game was both qbs taking turns throwing at bullseyes on the field and nothing else buttttt

imagine our defense without bb. I’m not impressed.
third down conversion 11/16 70%.. They were no where near that last year ....Optimistic..All they have to do is cut down stupid penalties and hold onto the ball.. both correctable...( I know-thanks captain obvious)

I always said, I don’t think a team ever lost their top 2 CBs, and won a SB, only the 2004 Patriots achieved that (I could be wrong). 4th round pick Asante Samuel (2nd year) and UDRFA Randal Gay were our CBs in SB 39. Just an incredible achievement. We had lost Ty Law and Tyrone Pool to injury earlier that year. Amazing !

Yeah 2004 was the exception. Larger point was the Pats aren't a great zone or non-press team. Gilmore is very important to the team, this secondary of JC, Jones, Mills is noticeably softer and not as good. Even when Law was hurt etc the Pats were a physical secondary. Pats bread and butter is man cover-1.

I always said, I don’t think a team ever lost their top 2 CBs, and won a SB, only the 2004 Patriots achieved that (I could be wrong). 4th round pick Asante Samuel (2nd year) and UDRFA Randal Gay were our CBs in SB 39. Just an incredible achievement. We had lost Ty Law and Tyrone Pool to injury earlier that year. Amazing !
Asante Samuel was a 5x pro bowler…clearly he stepped right in and did fantastic

( I know-thanks captain obvious)
Anyone know why it's always Captain Obvious? Can't obviousness make rank? There are some here that absolutely could be considered General Obvious by now (including myself).

Terrible loss...especially to a strong division opponent AND Buffalo losing. You should never lose a game when you have the ball in that position, i don't care how young or inexperienced the team is. Every single AFC East game is important and a must win. Cant afford to lose these games.

I expect to be better going forward and Mac Jones is the perfect QB for our system.

They patched it together (extremely impressive) but Law was still on the team.

Look at today. No Gilmore. CBs playing many yards off the line of scrimmage. This D is not great when they aren't playing a lot of man cover-1.
Law missed the final 9 games and all 3 playoff games that year...

We can make it work with smoke and mirrors...sure having a lock down CB makes life easier....but it is still dobale without. Just gotta marry the pass rush with the coverage.....

1: The Dolphins are a playoff contender. If Tua plays well they'll be in the mix right up to the end. We played even with a team that shoud have played us even, they just happened to get 1 more point than we did.

2: Mac10 looked GOOD. Like really good. Like making poised throws that moved the offense down the field and being calm and level headed and making good decisions and making accurate throws on timing plays. To the point that with the issues shown in the rushing attack we might want to move up the timetable for when we start handing Mac most of the offensive burden because it looks like he can handle it.

This is going to sound sacrilegious, but Mac right now looks better than Brady did early in 2001 and he had the team in position to win the game before Harris coughed up the ball. He came within spitting distance of completing a TB12 style comeback and it was someone else's mistake that stopped it from happening. I'm all in on Mac10 at this point.

3: Belichick never places a ton of stock in the first couple games. He has a tendency to trade early wins for information, and then make it up in the second half. He will take risks in week 1 he'd never take in week 13. We got a lot of information tonight that Bill will use to coach the team up. We learned a lot about what this team is rather than what we thought it was, and not all of it was bad.
I don't accept the loss but Mac playing like he did and showing what he is capable of makes me a bit more optimistic about the team making a decent run in the playoffs.

...the fumbles, penalties and defensive calls and play on the 1st drive, end of the 1st 1/2 and start of the 2nd 1/2 time was BAD.

It's a developmental year. Not going to content this year.
Disagree. If Mac keeps looking this good we could be contender is year but if we are, the great developmental strides Mac showed in week 1 will be part of why.

...the fumbles, penalties and defensive calls and play on the 1st drive, end of the 1st 1/2 and start of the 2nd 1/2 time was BAD.
Ultra conservative first read play-calling is my guess when it wasn't run. That and as had been said, the over-reliance on the running game in the red zone and lack of testing seams against the zone coverages especially by the TEs.

But even with all that - 1st down inside the 20 with three minutes left down 1. Ultra risk avoidance by being conservative and they still cough the ball up. Hopefully that frees up their shackles a bit and allows for a wider playbook in the future (assuming they can resolve the RT issue as well - notice there wasn't an OL anywhere near Harris when he fumbled whereas in the final Dolphins drive every carry had 3-4 OL helping push the pile).

Next up: NYJ

Nothing like Jete stank to get off the schneid.

third down conversion 11/16 70%.. They were no where near that last year ....Optimistic..All they have to do is cut down stupid penalties and hold onto the ball.. both correctable...( I know-thanks captain obvious)
THAT DOES NOT DETERMINE THE GAME WE LOST THE TURNOVER BATTLE AND LOST.

Law missed the final 9 games and all 3 playoff games that year...

We can make it work with smoke and mirrors...sure having a lock down CB makes life easier....but it is still dobale without. Just gotta marry the pass rush with the coverage.....

Yes. The only exception. Even then it was smoke and mirrors during the year, they didn't start the season this way. The Pats are not going to succeed without Gilmore thinking JC, Jones, and Mills is going to cut it.

Yes. The only exception. Even then it was smoke and mirrors during the year, they didn't start the season this way. The Pats are not going to succeed without Gilmore thinking JC, Jones, and Mills is going to cut it.
Mills had a good game including a great PD in the EZ very much like Gilmore's PD at the end of the '17 AFC title game.

Mills had a good game including a great PD in the EZ very much like Gilmore's PD at the end of the '17 AFC title game.

The deflection was great. The other snaps, unfortunately not

The deflection was great. The other snaps, unfortunately not
Hard to defend those RPO first read slant routes. The entire D needs to play better. It wasn't one DB. It was also the Lb'ers biting to inside run fakes and getting caught inside.

Ill never accept a loss, dolphins got lucky as heck though. 4 fumbles losing 2 and what was it 80-90 yards of penalties and still should of won if not for the Harris fumble.

Not even sure the Dolphins are a good team, so the loss was frustrating. However, it's week 1 and we lost the game they didn't win it. I'm not going to worry unless we mess it up against the Jets.

A loss in the Nfl is always a huge one and difficult to accept
If you add that it was an home loss internally in our division and the way it happened still hurts now...

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back