PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

25 Def. Front Seven Players In The Top 75?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
See below for 28 possible top defensive front seven players. I suspect that I have missed one or two, and certainly there are 3 that each of us might drop off the list. But that still leaves about 25 or 1/3 of the top 75. This year, there is no question. The players are available and we have the picks (5 as of now in the top 75).

25 Front Seven Players In The Top 75?
--------------------------------------
TIER ONE (3)
---------
Dareus, Miller, Quinn

TIER 2 (7)
------
Fairley, Watt, Jordan. Bowers, Liuget, A Smith, Kerrigan

TIER 3 (9)
------
Heyward, Wilkerson, Taylor, Sheard, Austin, Reed, Paea, Houston, Ayers

TIER 4 (9)
------
Ellis, Wilson, Jenkins, Ballard, Bailey, Casey, Acho, Carter, McClain

Last edited:
See below for 28 possible top defensive front seven players. I suspect that I have missed one or two, and certainly there are 3 that each of us might drop off the list. But that still leaves about 25 or 1/3 of the top 75. This year, there is no question. The players are available and we have the picks (5 as of now in the top 75).

TIER ONE (3)
---------
Dareus, Miller, Quinn

TIER 2 (7)
------

TIER 3 (9)
------

TIER 4 (9)
------
I still think Fairley is a tier one. Reed and Sheard are more tier four. Jenkins could sneak into the back of tier three.

I'd be surprised if Fairley falls past Cincy. I think he fits their profile very well. Plus he's a helluva penetrator and disruptor in the middle. This guy had a nice season last year, Suh-like, and he's going to fall to #8?

TIER ONE (3)
---------
Dareus, Miller, Quinn

TIER 2 (7)
------

TIER 3 (9)
------

TIER 4 (9)
------

Nice job mg, but I am not sure how many you can cross off due to being gone, not fitting our system etc. I still don't see more than 1 high pick DE being needed, and 1 high pick OLB.

I realize the depth and talent is there, and that is your point, but I still really don't see more than 2 of these taken--at least not in the top 75. There certainly may be someone who slips down past 75, and then we may pounce.

I still think that DE will be taken care of, and that will pretty much solidify that position. The same goes with OLB, as Cunningham is at least one next yr. Ninkovich and a higher type draft pick can fight the other one out, with the loser getting plenty of reps through the season too. TBC is pretty much gone in my opinion, I don't know. I also think that some OLB competition can be had in the mid and later rds too.

Last edited:
Certainly some will quibble with your tiers. Most posters want our DE early and another front seven player of consequence. Belichick will indubitably address these and other needs in the top 75.

TIER ONE (3)
---------
Dareus, Miller, Quinn

TIER 2 (7)
------

TIER 3 (9)
------

TIER 4 (9)
------

DEFENSIVE LINE
I agree that one DE is all we need. However consideration might be given to someone who could really be backup NT. But, I agree with one DL.

Warren, Wilfork, rookie
KEEP FOUR: Brace, Stroud, Deaderick, Pryor, Love, Wright
====================================================

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
We're all set inside: Mayo, Spikes and Guyton.

That leaves SIX roster spots. The inclubants are
Ninkovich, Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Fletcher, Moore, vet STer

Are we REALLY saying that onely one of these players can be beaten out for a roster spot by a rookie? Consider sending Moore or Fletcher packing and considering Banta-Cain at the STer and 9th OLB. There is certainly ROOM for two OLB's.

BOTTOM LINE
Obviously the question is value. Given that we draft a DE and an OLB, we will still (as of now have 3 additional picks in the top 75, plus #92 and #125). I could see us drafting an additional OLB if the value was perceived to be there.

And yes, I understand the need at OG, RB and WR (and perhaps at OT and S). I'd like to see us come out of the first 33 with Jordan, Watkins and Reed. We would still ahve a full complement of picks to go forward. Perhaps, even then we would draft an OLB the 50-75 range.

Nice job mg, but I am not sure how many you can cross off due to being gone, not fitting our system etc. I still don't see more than 1 high pick DE being needed, and 1 high pick OLB.

I realize the depth and talent is there, and that is your point, but I still really don't see more than 2 of these taken--at least not in the top 75. There certainly may be someone who slips down past 75, and then we may pounce.

I still think that DE will be taken care of, and that will pretty much solidify that position. The same goes with OLB, as Cunningham is at least one next yr. Ninkovich and a higher type draft pick can fight the other one out, with the loser getting plenty of reps through the season too. TBC is pretty much gone in my opinion, I don't know. I also think that some OLB competition can be had in the mid and later rds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes