PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 NEP 3RD Overall Pick - DRAKE MAYE

They made the pick they needed to make. I'm tempering my expectations because of the Mac debacle and the fact that we don't know if this new coaching staff and philosophy are going to bear fruit.

Overall, I'm optimistic. It's a new new era in New England. We'll see how it plays out.
Bill is working on the manngcast now, judge is back in college and Matt is in Philadelphia.. so...

I don't expect him to play at all this year unless Brissett gets hurt or in garbage time/mop up duty.
As long as Mayo's not asking covington and springer to be his OC and QBs coaches next season I like his potential!

It might not be a bad decision to let him sit. It gets him accustomed to the NFL and it gives us two drafts to build around him. I would let him play a preseason game though to give him a taste of NFL action but maybe that’s just me.
Agreed, now of course this all changes if JB absolutely is a wreck ...in wich I highly doubt.. then he has to play baptism by fire..

He’s the QB I wanted the most, I’ve been saying it for a long time (if you’ve seen my comments the last 6 months). Many people had him as QB2 in this draft, despite Daniels winning the Heisman. I have nothing against Daniels, I think he’s gonna be an excellent QB. But he is 2 years older and had 2 first round WRs and a great OLine, if Maye had that, his numbers would have been insane too.

I give Wolf credit, he didn’t try to get cute and do something wacky. He stayed strong and did the right thing. So many times Belichick tried to prove he’s the smartest guy in the room, and did something weird or stupid (the last being the Cole Strange debacle).

Now you have to give the kid a chance, you have to give the kid some weapons. He’s not going to play right away most likely. But get some explosive offensive weapons to set him up for success. I would go WR in round 2 and WR or TE in round 3 (I would love to get Ben Sinnott). The best friend of a young QB is a pass catching TE.

I love everything about Maye, the arm strength, the maneuverability in the pocket, the athleticism he shows as a runner (ran for over 1000 yards the last 2 years and 16 rushing tds). He throws well on the run and makes some great off schedule plays. I think he’s a really smart, talented, but humble kid. He truly is a modern athletic QB that you need in the NFL nowadays.

He's young, has the physical tools, seems like a good kid. It's always going to be a leap of faith when you take a QB. He has all the things you want to see to feel good about the upside projection. It does feel like there are some serious fundamental concerns that could push him towards the downside projection too though. But he's a guy I can at least have optimism for.

This is Mahomes/Allen type stuff here. Mac Jones maybe makes 1 of these type plays in a season. Maye doing it multiple times in a game
The thing he is doing there is he making throws and completing them while getting hit or being in the grasp of the defender. This is one benefit of his huge size/mass that allows him to 'extend' plays even when they would be over for a lesser quarterback. It's something you see from elite big dudes like Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. The play is never quite over until the guy is 100% horizontal to the turf.

Now don't get me wrong, this could turn into a negative if you force a throw from that position, but sometimes it gives you that extra half second to complete a play that another smaller QB just could not do.

Drake Maye reminds me of Gronk as far as being goofy, he definitely has that. As well as his relationship with his brothers, very Gronk like. He’s what you imagine what Gronk would be if he was a QB, goofy, but deadly serious and super competitive on the field.

So does Harbaugh love Herbert's ability to hand off the ball because it looks like they are building a team to run 30 times a game.
Agreed. I’m willing to bet they draft RB Blake Corum from Michigan. Classic Harbaugh.

Bill is working on the manngcast now, judge is back in college and Matt is in Philadelphia.. so...

It more of a "once bitten, twice shy" thing with me. I went all-in on Mac and I'm hesitant to do so with this kid.

Like I said, I'm optimistic but also in wait and see mode since the coaching staff is still a big question mark. However i don't think McAdoo/AVP will be worse than Judge/Patricia.

Although Gaffney wasn't great by any stretch, he was decent. People on here shouldn't be concerned so much about the number (Maye has worn #10 since HS).
The number 10 is cursed. Especially for QBs.

Jimmy lasted 2 games in NE before getting hurt. Corky Mac created enough bad mojo for that number that its radioactive.

It is really hard to believe BB is not coaching football and reduced to Manning cast.

I am tempering my enthusiasm as I've seen this movie before
A few years back the Pats drafted this highly touted rookie named Mac Jones and at the time I was ecstatic.(along with many Patriot fans).

They then proceeded to surround him with no receivers and an offensive line that looked like turnstiles. They gave him no real offensive co-ordinator nor the proper coaching. And now, he has been run out of town.

Lets hope they handle Drake Maye a lot more professionally and actually give him the coaching and offensive tools to succeed.
He was a bad pick.

FULL STOP.

I agree. JJ will probably turn out to be the better QB, or at least a solid player. Not so sure about Drake.

The picking of Maye seems like a Bob/J Kraft special. Hopefully the Krafts do not dictate the rest of the draft. A trade down would have been better; the elite WRs and OLs are now gone. Unless the Patriots can address those needs, any QB playing for the Patriots will have a difficult time of it.
I loved McCarthy at first. Then as I kept watching his tape. I noticed he has a fastball but he has to wind up to throw it. NFL CB's most likely will be breaking on the ball the minute he starts his windup. He also does not have any touch on his balls. All fastballs. I also got a bad sense of Harbaugh just always keeping him as a game manager and not putting a game on his shoulders. He had a good line and supporting cast all years at Michigan. What happens in the NFL when he does not. Can he put a team on his shoulders.
Saying that he has the "IT' factor and Intelligence, footwork etc.
I ended up thinking that Maye had a crap supporting class and he did put his team on his shoulders. Made for some bad throws and decision making. But for what he had he did well. He does have bad footwork but I think he can make every throw to all levels of the field. Taller and bigger player. Just felt his low floor is higher than what people give him credit for. His ceiling is through the roof

It more of a "once bitten, twice shy" thing with me. I went all-in on Mac and I'm hesitant to do so with this kid.

Like I said, I'm optimistic but also in wait and see mode since the coaching staff is still a big question mark. However i don't think McAdoo/AVP will be worse than Judge/Patricia.
You're not setting the bar too high there........

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back