PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 Week 2: Thursday Night Thread - Vikings at Eagles

Just watching the game now. The second quarter was just a run fest for the Eagles , the vikings could not stop the run.

Apparently AJ Brown and Hurts got into it over Browns lack of involvement in the offense.

This is one of the worst rules in football. It should have been changed by now.

Truly sick stuff.

And adding gambling into the mix increases the venom exponentially.
I'm not excusing it but if you know Twitter/X, this is normal stuff. These type of responses are so incredibly common for stuff that is only marginally related to race or politics or anything really. I could be talking about a film or a movie, and a bunch of these twits pile into the posts with this stuff. This is why the platform has lost all its advertising.

Doesn't look like a catch, looks to me he starts bobbling before he gets his second foot down

Doesn't look like a catch, looks to me he starts bobbling before he gets his second foot down
Either way, the touchback rule is pretty ridiculous.

I disagree. Players already get let off the hook a LOT for fumbling, either because it happens to bounce right back to a teammate, or it goes out of bounds before the other team can grab it. All they have to do is get the ball one Planck Length over the outer edge of goal line and they're automatically awarded a touchdown. They can hang on to the ball if they don't want to lose possession, and the current rule is in line with every other rule associated with change of possession and touchbacks, such as fumbling back through your own end zone becoming a safety.

The question becomes, change it to what?

The problem is, everything you could change it to has major issues with consistency.

I disagree. Players already get let off the hook a LOT for fumbling, either because it happens to bounce right back to a teammate, or it goes out of bounds before the other team can grab it. All they have to do is get the ball one Planck Length over the outer edge of goal line and they're automatically awarded a touchdown. They can hang on to the ball if they don't want to lose possession, and the current rule is in line with every other rule associated with change of possession and touchbacks, such as fumbling back through your own end zone becoming a safety.
Agree.

I remember how bummed I was on the similar K'neal Harry play. I said to myself as he made the catch, "finally he's done something positive!" and of course fractions of a second later he erases all that by fumbling.

Some people here were angry about the rule, but I think the way to look at it is the BB way, you coach to what the rules are, not what you want them to be.

The rule is quite clear, if players want to risk fate by stretching out the ball, it's on them if they fumble.

Definitely a fumble but this was really close whether they got this right or not. Pylon is also leaning so it's hard to tell
1694789384799.png

Last edited:
It just always seemed like a weird rule, where if you fumbled out of bounds almost anywhere else, you got to keep the ball at the spot of the fumble, essentially meaning the fumble doesn't affect you that much. But if you get closer to the goal, suddenly the penalty becomes significantly worse?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sb1
It just always seemed like a weird rule, where if you fumbled out of bounds almost anywhere else, you got to keep the ball at the spot of the fumble, essentially meaning the fumble doesn't affect you that much. But if you get closer to the goal, suddenly the penalty becomes significantly worse?

It's basically the same as any rule in relation to the end zone though. The consequence is always worse. Get sacked at mid-field? You lose a down and some yards. Get sacked in your own end zone? You lose possession entirely AND the other team gets points. Hold at the 20? Lose 10 yards. Hold in the endzone? Safety. It's consistent.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back