PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 UDFA thread

I'm expecting more use of an offensive lineman. Maybe they will find one that can catch a pass once in a while.
I think of it a different way.

I think that we now have 8 active OL's: the starters, a tackle, a guard and one other, usually a backup center. The mix can be different.

One of the OL's could be the 3rd TE in jumbo sets. Then, there is no need for an active 3rd TE. Whether we have a backup TE on the 53 man roster is another issue.

The bottom line is whether a blocking TE is worth an active roster spot.

How about Calvin Anderson, guy has the best agility on the line along with Strange. Plug him in at the end of the line and let him play a little TE. Hunter Henry can play some at the end of the line, his blocking is a little better than advertised.
Sorry Wozzy no its not just horrible.
Bryce Ford Wheaton to Giants.
They got J Hyatt too in the Third Potentially Fast Giants Offense there.

I just don't get what is special about Lumpkin that prevented him from working out for his pro day, he couldn't go to his local park, set up cones and practice his measurables like everybody else?

If it was as easy as going to his local park, setting up cones and practicing his measurables, you wouldn't have these facilities charging thousands and thousands in AZ and FL who specialize in training these guys for the Combine and their Pro-Day. There are actual techniques in running, jumping, and broadjump that get taught so they can improve their times/height/distance.

This idea that you have that these kids can just go down the park and run on their own and magically improve shows a hole in your understanding of these drills. For instance, how quickly a player comes up out of their stance when doing the 40 can slow them down and add 0.1-0.2 second to their time. How you breath and your coordination can tremendously affect your height and distance in your jumps.

You started by saying he was exceptional for his size, he wasn't, now you're finding reasons why he wasn't. I get you want a third blocking TE but he has to beat out Matt Sokol or convince the staff a 6th offensive lineman isn't a better option. I just don't see it.

Actually, you're confusing me with someone else. I made no mention about Lumpkin's size or potential. I've made no comment one way or the other about his signing My first reaction to Lumpkin was to pity him because of Capt. Stone's antics of giving stupid nicknames. My 2nd was commenting on Lumpkin being a 7th yr Senior. My next post after that was the fact that guys train at facilities to improve their techniques so they can shave time off.

FWIW:

Tight End Johnny Lumpkin (via Jordan Schultz/The Score)​

It was disappointing that New England wasn't able to secure one of the many highly-regarded tight ends in this year's class. Still, they have reportedly added a big-bodied one in Johnny Lumpkin out of Louisiana to round out the position group. With two primary pass catchers atop the depth chart in Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki, Lumpkin could carve out a role with his solid size and physicality as a blocker, or as NFL.com suggested, perhaps a move to tackle. His big frame (6-foot-6, 268 pounds) gives him some unique potential and considering the team's needs and depth, he could be the clubhouse favorite to be this year's rookie to make the 53-man roster.
Lumpkin ran a 4.81-second 40-yard dash at his pro day in March after catching 16 passes for 143 yards with four touchdowns in 2022.

Appreciate the article.

He didn't test well in the agility drills, but, as discussed, he didn't have the funds to get the training that some of these guys do. It will be interesting to see what he can do and whether or not he can make the 53 or the PS.

How does he have the same speed as Gronk ? I thought I read he’s slow, runs like a 4.8.
Yeah he doesn't. The 1.61 10 split is pretty good, though - same as Kelce's. Gronk's was 1.58. For reference DarnellW's was 1.60. JLump's not gonna be taking seam routes to the house with that top end speed though.

In reality I do think Cunningham might be an okay idea as an QB3. Give him a chance to develop, he’s not absurdly small so it could happen, and in the meantime he can be extremely helpful in practice emulating mobile quarterbacks.
He's no Pro QB he throws way too many ducks...but as a WR with the way he runs that would work. Cunningham is very good with ball in his hands and have very good speed good conversion prospect.

Last edited:

Looks like a natural can barely find tape on the guy real hidden diamond in the rough there. Ben Coates 2.0?

This was a really good TE class not to take one I still can't believe we didn't take one of the Top Guys.

In his limited tapes Johnny Lumpkin moves very well for a Big guy he's going to be interesting to watch.
Looks like he can move a little better then Sokol. That might be the difference in making the 53. Not that Sokol was a lock to make the 53 but a better TE3 might have better luck.

Last edited:
He's no Pro QB he throws way too many ducks...but as a WR with the way he runs that would work. Cunningham is very good with ball in his hands and have very good speed good conversion prospect.
Yeah, as a QB, I question his arm.

All the training in the world won’t allow me to play center for the Celtics.
did you play 4 years of Basketball at a division 1 school? Are you the optimal size for a NBA center, were you considered one of the best 25 players at your position during your draft year?

This was a really good TE class not to take one I still can't believe we didn't take one of the Top Guys.
Well we could have. But BB wanted that hybrid safety/linebacker in the 3rd. And of course we wasted the entire 4th round taking a kicker and multiple IOL. Priorities...

Looks very athletic for 6'5" and 264 lbs. No idea why a guy like that does not get drafted. Also read he has great hands.

Looks very athletic for 6'5" and 264 lbs. No idea why a guy like that does not get drafted. Also read he has great hands.
Yeah seems athletic enough. This could be an off-season issue…no camp yet with no comparison to other NFL players. I hope he sticks.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back