PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 WR Free Agents: who’s a Patriot?

That's kind of a hot take there... "Under 25" is kind of specific but based on that, the below players are younger than 25 and give me plenty of reason to be positive about their futures:

- Damien Harris
- Jakobi Meyers
- Mike Onwenu
- Gunner Olszewski

Other guys with potential too but these 4 jump out most.

that has to be the least impressive 4 guys I’ve ever heard of a team building around

that has to be the least impressive 4 guys I’ve ever heard of a team building around
Not sure ages but throw in Uche, Wino, Duggar as well. Herron and Wynn to a lesser extent.

But yes, you are right

aka dumpster diving. Pay for trash, you get trash

I fully expect bb to sign an under the radar type wide receiver this offseason.

he will not go big, he will go home!

I like the two vets, but not sure if Bill goes WR in round 1...If he doesn't draft a QB there, then he'll likely go defense (DE Rousseau, DT Barmore) or maybe the Penn State TE Freiermuth...
Tough to tell brotha. These are strange times all around. I'm not sure how he's going to approach this offseason.. just keep telling myself to not be surprised with any move. If they went WR or TE 1st rd and traded for a Stafford ..would not be shocked. That said Parsons or Collins first round please..anyday. I'm a defensive player first...always.

Tough to tell brotha. These are strange times all around. I'm not sure how he's going to approach this offseason.. just keep telling myself to not be surprised with any move. If they went WR or TE 1st rd and traded for a Stafford ..would not be shocked. That said Parsons or Collins first round please..anyday. I'm a defensive player first...always.

I think Bill will go back to being Bill. It will be D Line in the 1st round. Maybe a trade down first, but D Line in the 1st.

We might take a stab at TY Hilton in free agency. Unfortunately AJ Green and Larry Fitzgerald are way Over the hill. Imagine if we had traded for Fitz in his prime? Oh well still might not have resulted in any more championships. 6 is a lot.

I like Davis, but also intriged by going after Alen Lazard and Tim Patrick. Shame both are restricted

Crazy Hilton is only 31 seems like he has been around forever... Not that 31 is "young"...

I think Bill will go back to being Bill. It will be D Line in the 1st round. Maybe a trade down first, but D Line in the 1st.

If we acquire Stafford or Ryan or somebody similar during the free agency period before the draft, then it tells me that Bill plans on being a Real contender in 2021 & '22...Do not discount his desire to pass Shula...and he'll take a DT or ED in the first round...

If we instead acquire Fitzy or Scam or somebody similar, then it tells me that Bill plans on doing whatever it takes to choose the QB not named Trevah (nor Fields I hope) whom he feels is best-suited to challenge the Queefs for the AFC by 2023...If that's Wilson it's gonna cost him...

unless/until the QB situation is settled, signing a WR, especially a high priced veteran would seem stupid.

If the Pats bring in a veteran QB, then they are looking to win now, if they go with Stidham, they are tanking/rebuilding and signing a high priced WR would not make sense. The Pats basically wasted last year, going into the year they didn't know who their QB would be, and if Stidham is any good. Now a year later, they still have no idea who their QB is going to be and if Stidham is any good. Except now, all the veterans who have carried this team are now a year older.

The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts.

The only position I would say they are OK with for younger talent is RB. The O line should be OK, Shaq Mason and Tuney were both excellent picks, but Tuney is gone. So they are, at the moment, without Andrews and Tuney. I think that Cannon's career is over. Heron might be OK. They either need to find a new LG or a new LT and kick Wynn down to Guard (that is if he doesn't end up on IR with a hangnail).

So no QB, the O line in flux, why would any good veteran WR sign here?

"The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts."

Really? Not one single player to be excited about?

Josh Uche : athletic freak who flashed pass-rushing ability and open-field pursuit - 22
Damien Harris : I mean, what needs to be said. The guy has the potential to be special - 23
Mike Onwenu : looked as good as it gets for a rookie OL - 23
Kyle Dugger : flashed a lot this season and looked fast/physical - 24
Jakobi Meyers : he proved he belongs this season - 24

Honorable mentions:
Jake Bailey : top tier punter - 23
Joejuan Williams : not played much but he's looked good when he has - 24
Gunner : lead the league in punt return yards - 24

Even if you toss out the honorable mentions, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be excited/hopeful/optimistic about Uche, Harris, Dugger, Onwenu, and Meyers. Is it any guarantee they end up superstars, let alone productive players? Of course not. But there's reason to be excited ... I mean, why wouldn't you be excited? I'm not going to actively root against the players who are here and it seems I have no more of a reason to expect them to flop than I do to expect them to thrive.

We shall see.

Last edited:
No one said we're building exclusively around those 4 guys, and fortunately football is a sport with a 53-person roster.

"The Pats don't have a single player under 25 that you would be excited about his future. The roster has been depleted by years of bad drafts."

Josh Uche : athletic freak who flashed pass-rushing ability and open-field pursuit - 22
Damien Harris : I mean, what needs to be said. The guy has the potential to be special - 23

Honorable mentions:

Even if you toss out the honorable mentions, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be excited/hopeful/optimistic about Uche, Harris, Dugger, Onwenu, and Meyers. Is it any guarantee they end up superstars, let alone productive players? Of course not. But there's reason to be excited ... I mean, why wouldn't you be excited? I'm not going to actively root against the players who are here and it seems I have no more of a reason to expect them to flop than I do to expect them to thrive.

We shall see.
I wonder why I didn’t see some of those guys when I looked on the roster filtered by age. In retrospect I may have accidentally only been looking on offense...

Honorable mentions:

We shall see.

Trigger by trolls. Embarrassing.

If we acquire Stafford or Ryan or somebody similar during the free agency period before the draft, then it tells me that Bill plans on being a Real contender in 2021 & '22...Do not discount his desire to pass Shula...and he'll take a DT or ED in the first round...

If we instead acquire Fitzy or Scam or somebody similar, then it tells me that Bill plans on doing whatever it takes to choose the QB not named Trevah (nor Fields I hope) whom he feels is best-suited to challenge the Queefs for the AFC by 2023...If that's Wilson it's gonna cost him...

Did you forget there is a salary cap? It is nice to live in @captain stone 's dreamland, but certain contracts come with certain consequences you conveniently forgot to mention :whistle:. Not saying you have ever lacked transparency before ;) . So without Googling, Ryan and Stafford must cost $25M to $30M each for 2021. Stidham cost $3M for 2021. So the correct TOTAL TRANSPARENT STORY is do we want Ryan or Stafford with no new weapons, or do we want Stidham AND Samuel AND Davis in 2021? The salary cap hit will about the same. I am not saying what is the correct decision, I am only saying we should be honest and transparent and present both sides of the discussion.

Did you forget there is a salary cap? It is nice to live in @captain stone 's dreamland, but certain contracts come with certain consequences you conveniently forgot to mention :whistle:. Not saying you have ever lacked transparency before ;) . So without Googling, Ryan and Stafford must cost $25M to $30M each for 2021. Stidham cost $3M for 2021. So the correct TOTAL TRANSPARENT STORY is do we want Ryan or Stafford with no new weapons, or do we want Stidham AND Samuel AND Davis in 2021? The salary cap hit will about the same. I am not saying what is the correct decision, I am only saying we should be honest and transparent and present both sides of the discussion.
I was merely presenting the two pre-draft scenarios: Either Bill acquires an expensive QB or he acquires a cheap QB...I wasn't advocating for either one, but one of those two will indeed happen, because Bill can afford an expensive QB if he really really wants him...Same as the draft: If Bill acquires an expensive QB, then he's more likely than not to draft other positions early instead of QB; if he acquires a cheap one, then he's more likely than not to draft a QB earlier than other positions, if not All Other positions...Don't understand what the fuss is about.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back