PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Conference Championship weekend

Bills +3 @ KC
TB +3.5 @ GB

Haven't looked much into either game. My quick thoughts are these.

KC has been a little suspect all year. Not that they are bad, but they aren't automatically the best team in the NFL. I think they are right in the pack with 3-4 other teams but managed to have certain things go there way. Catch teams at the right time. Get breaks when needed. Stay healthy mostly. All that kind of stuff. The Bills have a real chance to win. They match up well vs KC, even if they are fully healthy. They have the kind of D that has been able to slow them down just enough all year to keep them within range. And KC after a great first half last game started to come back down to earth before Mahomes got hurt. They've had issues getting much over 30 all year, and that puts them in striking distance of all these teams. Their D is probably the worst one left, though it isn't much worse than the Bills or GB.

One thing I'm going to be looking for is if Mahomes is at all gun shy when back there. Either when pressure gets in his face or if he'll run. Personally I think he's in a tough spot. While he can't play scared, his usual play of reckless abandon definitely isn't optimal for next week. That will be a hard needle to thread for him. And I don't think he'll try. Smart or not, he'll play as he always has, like he's indestructible. He'll try to make that defender miss or and make that big play or run for that first down. That's who he is. And that should have KC fans worried. I could see a universe in which he is cleared when he shouldn't be and he tries to play hero ball which ends very badly for him and KC. We all hope it doesn't happen, but it seems like a possibility.

The Bills seemed to have played their best football already. They peaked around weeks 15-17. They've been doing well enough to win, but not as well as they were. And not just cause they are playing better teams. They need a good game all around. Mahomes will 100% play but if he's in anyway not 100% they better jump on it. They are the underdog going in, but just by a little. They need to attack early and often. Yes KC is weak against their run, and they should run some, but don't go thinking averaging 5YPC and running 30 times is going to win you this game. It won't. How you beat KC is you attack early and often and never let your foot off the gas. Race them to 40 on an offensive speed run and bring a lot of pressure and take risk on defense when it calls for it. On 3rd and long you don't blitz though. You bring 4 and spy while trying to under cut routes on people not named Hill or Hardman. Also for the love of god, practice covering deep crossers over the middle with a stop an go option in the zone. They've been doing it for years!

I think one point not being talked about that is HUGE is the Bills played this team before. It seems teams are quick to forget how to deal with this offense. The play calling and the speed they have are so different from other teams. It causes a lot of teams to fall behind in the first half. The Bills having played them once already is a big deal. It means they won't be caught napping. They won't be a step short on Hill's speed. They will have experience dealing with an offense that mixes imrpov and scheme so well. I think the Bills D is going give KC more trouble than people think just because they are now less likely to give up a bunch of scoring drives in the first half before adjusting.

The Packers have been the best team in football this year. Aaron has been sensational. I'm a bit of an Aaron doubter, and I personally dislike him to a degree due to some things i've read, but he has found another level to his play this year. After losing the conference championship game last year, it seems unlikely they will not be ready to capitalize on this chance. As much as I hate to bet against Brady, when a team makes it to 2 conference games in a row after losing the first, they tend to figure out what they failed to do right and win the second. The experience of being their and failing before is something most of these Bucs don't have. But this Bucs team is so different than the Rams or SF that those experiences won't transfer as much, which is good for the Bucs.

On offense they just need to keep doing what they are doing. It has worked all year and it is a good mix of stuff. No need to change anything now, though they might want to give some help on the edge. The Rams without Donald didn't have much of a pass rush, particular on the edge. The Bucs have more of one there and GB needs to be a little mindful of it. Besides that they will be very hard to stop in what should be some snow. On defense they should probably just take a page out of the Saints book and play cover two until they believe it doesn't work. They certainly have the safeties to pull it off. The only issue will be that besides Alexander their CBs don't match up as well as the Saints CBs did.

While I think the game the Bills had with KC will be meaningful, I think the game the Packers have with the Bucs will be meaningless. It was just such a blow out you can burn most of the tape.

As for the Bucs they need to completely forget about last game and move on when it comes to offense. On defense while they can't do the exact same thing they should stay aggressive and play man. They're CBs seem hot right now and they should ride it, with safety help of course. Their CBs well may decide this game. If they can limit Adams and Scantling then they have a good chance. I don't see them shutting either down like they did Thomas though. No way that happens again with Rodgers throwing the ball. As for Tonvan, something has to give. You can't focus on everyone and if you need to single him up deep on an island so be it. Stopping the run will be impossible. The key is don't let them average more than 5YPC. If you keep them under that it will be a success. If they can't do that, they are very unlikely to win. It just opens up too much for GB. Luckily the Bucs have a run D that has a chance to do that.

Here is a fun stat I just looked up. GB was kept under 120 yards on the ground 10 times. They went 7-3. In the other 6 games they exploded for 149 or more (much more usually) and were 7-0. Usually the less the defense gave up the closer the games were. The 3 they lost were 109 Vikings, 94 Bucs and 66 Indy. I used the 120/149 marks as they were the cleanest clearest cut off. A lot of teams that held them low were losing teams like the Jags, Panthers, Falcons, Texans. Vikings, Lions (they went 1-5) When .500 or better teams held them down are the Saints, Bucs, Indy, Bears (they went 2-2).

So i think it's clear. One of keys to beating GB is not letting them run over you, and if you can do that and also are compentent in other things you have a good shot to win. The Bucs can potentially follow this formula again. They are in many ways a bad match up for GB. As for any picks in these games. I'll need to look at more. But this is good food for thought.

Last edited:
While I think the game the Bills had with KC will be meaningful, I think the game the Packers have with the Bucs will be meaningless. It was just such a blow out you can burn most of the tape.
This x100.

Reminder that Farve currently has 11 NFC playoff wins. Which is the most of any player. Rodgers currently has 10. If Brady wins next week he will stop Rodgers from tying Farve and be just 1 behind him. And have the ability to potentially beat him to 11 next year. Imagine if Brady retired with the most wins against both NFC and AFC playoff teams LOL If he plays 2 more years he might do it, but a lot depends on this game and how long he and Rodgers play.

I really wanted the Saints to win last night. I picked them mid-season to be in the NFCCG, and I would have loved to see Brees walk out as a champ. Right now, I have to root for the Bills and Packers. I just don't want the Chiefs to repeat, and I certainly don't want Brady to win another SB anywhere else. That doesn't make me a hater, it just makes me want his time with the Pats to be unique and historical. If the Bucs lose in GB, this year or two in TB will be a blip for Brady's career (while he pads his stats to be the greatest ever). But if he wins one, all the debates for the next 30 years will be horrible, and ultimately shine a negative light on the Pats dynasty. He's shown he is the GOAT this year, but I'd rather see Rogers win a 2nd, or the Bills shock the world than to see Brady or Mahomes win another right now. And I definitely don't want Brady to lose a 4th SB by getting there and losing to the Chiefs.
Genuinely don't understand what you mean. The Pats did what the Pats did. Brady is unquestionably great. He gave us a ton of great memories and I'm rooting for him now. How can you not?

This season's playoffs have confirmed what I already knew, that you need a QB who can read a defense to win. The idea that some RB posing as a QB, like Jackson Lamar, is going to revolutionize the NYFL is comical. I laugh hysterically at the teams that invested large chunks of cap space in some QB who's more likely to make a boneheaded decision in a big situation than win a playoff game.

Another thing that's been confirmed is how influential it is to have an easy schedule and get a better seed in the playoffs. Green Bay is the prime example with the easiest schedule which handed them the top NFC seed, but they aren't alone. Hear this, the teams with the 7 easiest schedules in the NYFL this year made the playoffs, and 5 of those have already been eliminated. The remaining two are the #1 seeds, KC and GB. The Bills played the 12th toughest while getting the #2 AFC seed. TB is near the middle of the pack.

During the season when Pittsburgh was off to an 11-0 start I remember having my doubts about their true strength. After watching the way the AFCN playoff teams crapped the bed in the playoffs, it's pretty clear that they benefitted the most from playing 6 games each vs the NFCE and Cincy. If Pitt and Cleveland didn't meet in the first round they probably would have all gone one and done. It's too bad because Miami is probably a better team than all of those teams but missed out by one game.

I'm hoping for a Bills win over KC and a TB win over GB and I think I have a decent chance of seeing that happen. If it does happen I'll be happy no matter which team wins the SB.

I really wanted the Saints to win last night. I picked them mid-season to be in the NFCCG, and I would have loved to see Brees walk out as a champ. Right now, I have to root for the Bills and Packers. I just don't want the Chiefs to repeat, and I certainly don't want Brady to win another SB anywhere else. That doesn't make me a hater, it just makes me want his time with the Pats to be unique and historical. If the Bucs lose in GB, this year or two in TB will be a blip for Brady's career (while he pads his stats to be the greatest ever). But if he wins one, all the debates for the next 30 years will be horrible, and ultimately shine a negative light on the Pats dynasty. He's shown he is the GOAT this year, but I'd rather see Rogers win a 2nd, or the Bills shock the world than to see Brady or Mahomes win another right now. And I definitely don't want Brady to lose a 4th SB by getting there and losing to the Chiefs.

I don't see how Brady winning a Super Bowl would shine a negative light on the Patriots' dynasty. Tom Brady is still a top QB whether we want to say he is two or three or five or six in the league, any QB in those ranges have a shot to win the Super Bowl no matter what uniform they wear if the talent is good around him like Brady has in Tampa. He went from the Patriots to a very good situation talent-wise. That won't hurt the Patriots' legacy and will only enhance Tom's.

What it will do is put pressure on Belichick though. It could hurt his legacy long term if he doesn't rebuild the Patriots into a contender. He unfortunately has the harder job than Brady because it is easier to build around a great QB than it is to find another great QB or build a contender with only a good QB.

Huh? What debates?

How does that shine a negative light on the Pats?

"We knew them guys didn’t deserve to be on the field with us because we got too much talent and we fly around to the ball."

-Devin White, after the last Packers-Bucs game

"Packers we coming"

-Jason Pierre Paul after last night

These could come back to bite them like Cam Jordan's comments about Brees being the GOAT.

Last edited:
I hope Buffalo can find a way to win it all...after 4 tries i would like a Bills trophy

But not easy at all...

2 great games for sure

I hope Buffalo can find a way to win it all...after 4 tries i would like a Bills trophy

But not easy at all...

2 great games for sure
One week from Wednesday is the 30th anniversary of Wide Right. That game was also in Tampa.

Full circle? Lol

I got the Bucs winning this and if mahomes is healthy the Chiefs beating the bills. If not then the bills will win.

I don't care as much about that game though. I just want the bucs to beat the packers. That would put Brady against either Mahomes or the bills.

Which guarantees for an amazing superbowl and opportunity for brady to either have the greatest SB run ever by smacking down brees rodgers and mahomes at age 43 or making bills fans cry one last time in the most ironic hilarious way ever while winning his 7th ring and sticking it to every single hater and doubter on the planet. I can't wait.

I got the Bucs winning this and if mahomes is healthy the Chiefs beating the bills. If not then the bills will win.

I don't care as much about that game though. I just want the bucs to beat the packers. That would put Brady against either Mahomes or the bills.

Which guarantees for an amazing superbowl and opportunity for brady to either have the greatest SB run ever by smacking down brees rodgers and mahomes at age 43 or making bills fans cry one last time in the most ironic hilarious way ever while winning his 7th ring and sticking it to every single hater and doubter on the planet. I can't wait.
Wide left this time? :D

doctor: Guys, i dont think i can clear him off protocol. He sounds like Kermit the frog right now.
** awkward silence around the room **

As for the Bucs they need to completely forget about last game and move on when it comes to offense. On defense while they can't do the exact same thing they should stay aggressive and play man. They're CBs seem hot right now and they should ride it, with safety help of course. Their CBs well may decide this game. If they can limit Adams and Scantling then they have a good chance. I don't see them shutting either down like they did Thomas though. No way that happens again with Rodgers throwing the ball. As for Tonvan, something has to give. You can't focus on everyone and if you need to single him up deep on an island so be it. Stopping the run will be impossible. The key is don't let them average more than 5YPC. If you need them under that it will be a success. If they can't do that, they are very unlikely to win. It just opens up too much for GB. Luckily the Bucs have a run D that has a chance to do that.

Here is a fun stat I just looked up. GB was kept under 120 yards on the ground 10 times. They went 7-3. In the other 6 games they exploded for 149 or more (much more usually) and were 7-0. Usually the less the defense gave up the closer the games were. The 3 they lost were 109 Vikings, 94 Bucs and 66 Indy. I used the 120/149 marks as they were the cleanest clearest cut off. A lot of teams that held them low were losing teams like the Jags, Panthers, Falcons, Texans. Vikings, Lions (they went 1-5) When .500 or better teams held them down are the Saints, Bucs, Indy, Bears (they went 2-2).

So i think it's clear. One of keys to beating GB is not letting them run over you, and if you can do that and also are compentent in other things you have a good shot to win. The Bucs can potentially follow this formula again. They are in many ways a bad match up for GB. As for any picks in these games. I'll need to look at more. But this is good food for thought.

Well it helps that Tampa had the best run defense in the league this year.

Prediction and breakdown

Bills @ Chiefs

I'm going to assume that KC will be fine and have CEH back for this one as well as Mahomes mostly being okay. Though the toe of Mahomes will be worth keeping an eye on, as will how aggressively he plays. Does he continue to run with abandon? We will see. Moving on!

The Bills absolutely deserve to be here. They were the 2nd best team in the AFC this year, and it really wasn't as close as a lot of people wanted you to think. Let's first start with their D.

The Bills have a slightly better D than KC, even though they are lower on the rankings. Particularly since their bye. While it is true they faced some pretty bad offenses since then, they also faced some okay ones like Miami, Indy and Balt who they let score 26, 24 and 3 points (26 is also the most they surrendered in the 8 games since the bye). While these offenses aren't as good as KC, the fact that they managed to keep them in the mid 20s or lower is a good sign. This means KC is probably not going to be able to hang 35+ on them and just put the game out of reach. The Bills will have a shot.

On the offensive side, the Bills offense hasn't look as good as it has in the past, and that is an issue. Since ending the year on fire, they haven't been getting it done in the playoffs either on the score board or on the field. It has looked just a little off. I would say that right now of the 4 teams left, which are all offensive teams, the Bills have the worst. Not that they are bad, but I don't see them being able to keep up with the others if their D doesn't give them help.

The main issue the Bills face is they can't really beat you multiple ways on offense. They don't have a back you need to be afraid of. Singlertary is fine, but not special. And If you dedicate resources to not letting Diggs take over the game, how else do they beat you? Beasley? He's a good player, but not a guy you can depend on. Even though Diggs has had good games recently, I think the fact that they are so predictable offensively has become a problem for them against higher quality teams.

Even without having great defensive talent, you would figure the well coached Chiefs can figure out to not leave Diggs on an island on key downs or let him get over the top for a quick 7. So if that is the case how do the Bills answer? The only option is that Allen needs to run like a man possessed. It will hopefully help open up Diggs and take pressure off other guys. As much as I don't like a QB running being the plan, I don't think the Bills have an option here. They need Allen to run for multiple first downs on third downs that would otherwise be punts. He needs to get it in the end zone when his WRs are covered. He need to break it up the middle of the field for big 10+ yard gains. To win this game I think Allen needs to have about 10 big time run plays, as well as do damage in the passing game. If that happens they have their foot in the door with a chance to push it open.

On defense the Bills need to pick their poison. They tend to let teams run by design and have one of the better defensive passer ratings in the NFL. CEH is a good but not great runner. He has 4.4 YPC in that offense, which seems kind of low. I know KC's offensive line isn't as great as it use to be, but it isn't horrible IMO and with tier passing attack more should be open. If I'm the Bills DC I let CEH run all day. Any down they don't throw a pass is a win. The Bills used the same plan last time they played, and while it didn't work they were able to keep KC to 26 points. They should do it again with just a few tweaks. The key about letting KC run is don't let Mahomes run for first downs or the receives beat you on end arounds. Those are the runs that can kill you. CEH getting 161 yards on 26 carries can't and won't happen again.

Last game they let CEH get too many easy yards. As much as I think they should bait them to run again, they can't give up a bunch of big runs, like they did last game. They need to invite GB to run, but make them see some reasonable 2nd and 3rd downs while doing it. Keep the down and distance reasonable and letting them run 35 times for 160 yards or so yards isn't a big deal. If it takes the ball out of Mahomes hands 5-10 times it would otherwise be in there, then it's worth it.

One last thing. Control the clock well in the last 2 minutes of the half and in the game. Call smart plays and don't try to score too fast unless it is wide open and they basically let you. Even 30 seconds is too much if KC has time outs. And playing that 2 minute offense is what they are built to do. They are built to pick up chunks and take deep shots. Don't go out of your way to give them a chance to do it when you could call plays that leave less time.

As far as KC's offense, they need to just put it together. They have been so hot and cold this season. Rarely having a complete game. The main issue they have is they need to take the open plays that are there. Don't go for 20 yards on 3rd and 5 when you have an underneath guy who you can fit it in too with good reliability. Don't be afraid of long drives if that is what they give you. They were a bit more patient against Cleveland, but that got away from them a little. The Bills defense is built well to take away some of the things they do best. They don't tend to give up big chunks of pass plays, and trying to force them may get KC in trouble. Not to say they should never take a shot, but don't live in die by them in this match up.

Also, be careful with Mahomes if they can help it. I'm not sure how hurt he will be, but putting him in harms way with called QB runs when you have guys like Hill, Kelce, Hardman and Watkins seems unneeded. If he needs to run so be it, but you don't need to call it. If they need to put their back up on the field for any length of time vs the Bills they will lose. No need to take a risk.

On the defensive side, besides not allowing Diggs to beat them, they should challenge the other WR on the field. Make them beat you in man. Of course with safety help over the top at all time. I don't think they are that talented and it is worth testing them. Though KC kind of does what they do on D a fair amount of the time.

One other thing KC should do is bait the Bills into running, They only have one back that they really trust and after that they have little depth. While KC's run D isn't the best, it isn't so bad that it will blow the game against a mundane run game like the Bills. Some benefits of this strategy would be that you force their 3rd and maybe even 4th string back on the field who are more likely to give you a turnover. As well as force the Bills to throw against a coverage look you like the majority of the time. The fact is the Bills are even worse off than KC if they are forced to try to win by running.

Prediction - KC 27 Bills 23 – The Main issue with the Bills the past few weeks has been offense more than their defense. More aptly the inability of their run game to get anything going besides Allen making some nice runs. This can be overcome if you have an elite defense of a Brady/Montana level QB who can win without a run game, Allen isn't that. He's been good this year, but not good enough to go any further with an offense that has good but not great play makers and a defense that right now is playing good but not great. They are a godo team, but they just aren't on the level of the other 3 teams left most days. That being said, they are a bad match up for KC in certain scheme ways. Some of their strengths (like pass defense) play well against a team like KC. And they can score. If KC makes mistakes or Mahomes goes down I fully expect KC to jump on it. They are well within the margin of ever. One big play, one weird bounce and it is anyone's game the way KC has played this year.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back