PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both McCourtys are back next year with Dmac under a lower cap hit, they've both made the bulk of their money and may want to stay together another year.

I think both McCourtys are back next year with Dmac under a lower cap hit, they've both made the bulk of their money and may want to stay together another year.
That would be great. I think they’ve both proven themselves to be high character guys in the locker room, and they offer a lot on the field, too. Like you said, the money has to be right with both players, but there’s no reason to think that we can’t have another year of back end twinning.

Are Tiquan Underwood or "Two Way Troy" available???

OTOH nice to see that whatever it looks like next year, our D Backfield is more balanced and deeper than it has been in the past...

I see absolutely ZERO reason to break up the secondary.

Good points, the secondary has been better than expected, I could see a scenario where both McCourties are gone and a younger Safety is brought in. Both Chung and Dmac are getting old and expensive.

fair enough

Belichick has ignored safety for a couple of years, since our safeties are so good. Obi wan is simply another use for the 4th emergency safety spot. I just don't see Belichick using significant resources on a #4 safety.

Well, he has drafted 2 safeties in the second round who didn't work out.

Well, he has drafted 2 safeties in the second round who didn't work out.
fair enough

I have no problems with continuing to try to find our #4 safety (and perhaps a future starter) in the draft. Belichick may find value (and take a flyer) in a safety or corner convert. I just don't that this is a critical or even important need.

I don't understand your point. The way I see it, if we re-sign Jason and tender Jones, we will have no need to spend significant resources on a top college DB. We'll have 7 quality defensive backs, plus a2nd rounder who should at least have some potential (certainly enough not to replace him as yet). That doesn't even count our #9 and #10, Obiwan and Crossen. So, sure, I can see us drafting a defensive back in the 4th or later, and adding camp competition. I just can't see the need to use significant resources.

My point is that it's not about just the 2019 season; it's about continually refreshing the DB roster in the present to develop players for the future (if possible).
- Jason, Devin and Chung will all turn 32 during 2019 Camp.
- Other returning veterans include Harmon (28 in January) and Gilmore (29 in September).
- The (more-or-less) "proven" youngsters are JJ (26) and Jackson (23).
- Beyond that, the Pats have "still unproven" Crossen, Dawson, and Melifonwu. We really don't know how those guys are doing from the perspective of the coaches.

If there's a particular kid in this draft who the Pats think is highly-likely to fit and perform well (significantly more likely than others), they may well take him at the last possible moment they need to in order to be sure to get him. Maybe that's in the first two rounds, maybe they know enough about what the interest level of other teams is that they'll be able to wait until the 4th, or even until post-draft free agency.

Good points, the secondary has been better than expected, I could see a scenario where both McCourties are gone and a younger Safety is brought in. Both Chung and Dmac are getting old and expensive.

Chung's 2019 and 2020 cap hits are $3.6M each. Harmon's are $4.5M and $5.5M.

Both Crossen and Jackson are NFL-level corners. Don't know about Dawson yet, but the only thing that could shake up this secondary would be the emergence of one of them (as we're seeing with Jackson this year).

Unless a real stud falls in the S category, this is not an area that needs anything more than a restructure and what should be an easy re-sign for the McCourty brothers.

This group and the OL (particularly if they re-sign Brown) are rock solid.

Both Crossen and Jackson are NFL-level corners.

Just curious ..... what have you actually seen from Crossen playing in a live fire NFL game that leads you to be certain that he's an "NFL-level corner"? He's played 7 total defensive snaps in the 8 games he's been active, and allow 1 catch on 1 tgt for 16 yards. If he's on a par with JC Jackson, why hasn't he seen the field on defense more?

So take some from Dmac to pay Jmac. :D

Just curious ..... what have you actually seen from Crossen playing in a live fire NFL game that leads you to be certain that he's an "NFL-level corner"? He's played 7 total defensive snaps in the 8 games he's been active, and allow 1 catch on 1 tgt for 16 yards. If he's on a par with JC Jackson, why hasn't he seen the field on defense more?

I don't know that he'll get to a high level, but he has all the tools - if not here, I think he'll be a similar case to Roberts. I like him - he's willing to do whatever he needs to do to stick around, from everything I've read.

I don't know that he'll get to a high level, but he has all the tools - if not here, I think he'll be a similar case to Roberts. I like him - he's willing to do whatever he needs to do to stick around, from everything I've read.

Don't get me wrong, I like Crossen - his speed/athleticism, his tackling ability, what he showed in pre-season. I thought from the get-go that his floor would be very good special teamer who stuck around for awhile (which appeared to have been the case there, for awhile at least).

However, playing with consistent effectiveness in the secondary is a whole other performance category. Until Crossen actually demonstrates that, I'm not counting on him for it. We'll see how it goes for him next year.

I believe that Crossen sticks (and has done so) because he plays a lot of special teams.

Don't get me wrong, I like Crossen - his speed/athleticism, his tackling ability, what he showed in pre-season. I thought from the get-go that his floor would be very good special teamer who stuck around for awhile (which appeared to have been the case there, for awhile at least).

However, playing with consistent effectiveness in the secondary is a whole other performance category. Until Crossen actually demonstrates that, I'm not counting on him for it. We'll see how it goes for him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back