PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Mock Drafts

I'll be shocked if Hockenson slides to 32 but that is a really good draft.

Deebo Samuel, I think you're drafting Cordarrelle Patterson with this pick. He would earn a fraction of what Patterson did and is potentially as electric in the kicking game but I think you would have to use him on offense like Patterson as well. Sweeps, go's, slants....I haven't seen anything to suggest he can make sight adjustments in the offense. I'm fine with a second rounder who can give you what Patterson did but I can hear the board screaming bust already because of where he would be taken. I think a team like Cincinnati he would excel because they keep it simple.

Edwards is a great depth pick especially given Cannon's injury history, you have no idea how Wynn will recover and Brown may be gone.

Interesting mock...Hock adreesess a major need and I like Samuel but not that early to me
Ledbetter I like a lot, good fit and Morerau is an interesting project

Love would be a steal
Normally I roll my eyes at mocks from members of the media, but I love this one. Ledbetter might be my fav, but they're all well thought out and fairly easy to project in our schemes.
Love Ledbetter as well, excellent fit here, reminds me of Vinny Curry a little bit

Deebo Samuel, I think you're drafting Cordarrelle Patterson with this pick. He would earn a fraction of what Patterson did and is potentially as electric in the kicking game but I think you would have to use him on offense like Patterson as well. Sweeps, go's, slants....I haven't seen anything to suggest he can make sight adjustments in the offense. I'm fine with a second rounder who can give you what Patterson did but I can hear the board screaming bust already because of where he would be taken. I think a team like Cincinnati he would excel because they keep it simple.

Edwards is a great depth pick especially given Cannon's injury history, you have no idea how Wynn will recover and Brown may be gone.
Yup, don't love Samuel as a WR, more of a KR ace, 2nd round is way too high for me

Deebo is a much better rr than CP. Not even in the same time zone. A lot closer to DJ Moore from last year.

Deebo is a much better rr than CP. Not even in the same time zone. A lot closer to DJ Moore from last year.
I find him to be similar to former SC WR Ace Saunders whom I actually liked too...as a Day 3 guy

In an admittedly small sample size the big plays I saw he either ran slants or was open on broken plays. He's definitely got both long and short speed so if he replaces CP as the KR and can be a more explosive Dorsett in the passing game I'd take a shot on him.

In an admittedly small sample size the big plays I saw he either ran slants or was open on broken plays. He's definitely got both long and short speed so if he replaces CP as the KR and can be a more explosive Dorsett in the passing game I'd take a shot on him.

I definitely hear what you're saying with his limited route tree, but when I watch Samuel I'm concerned not with his repertoire, but his translatable traits. Samuels shows an understanding of leverage, where his stems should be and how to adjust if necessary, good forward body lean, how to drum his hands, how to use head fakes if needed, how to angle his feet/legs, how to sink his hips, etc. Learning a new route is the easy part if you have the fundamentals of RR down. For example, this whip route is a thing of beauty:

Or this one:

Last edited:
I definitely hear what you're saying with his limited route tree, but when I watch Samuel I'm concerned not with his repertoire, but his translatable traits. Samuels shows an understanding of leverage, where his stems should be and how to adjust if necessary, good forward body lean, how to drum his hands, how to use head fakes if needed, how to angle his feet/legs, how to sink his hips, etc. Learning a new route is the easy part if you have the fundamentals of RR down. For example, this whip route is a thing of beauty:

Or this one:

Samuel is perfect for our offense. A lot of people will say his stats were not the best, but consider who was throwing him the ball!

My only question is can Samuel play the z receiver position?

He was schemed open but is vg off the line, esp in the rz & has run some very nice post, slants, fades/comebacks too. Maybe a lil hyped like CP was but a more complete wr coming out for sure.

Comp Picks announced.
Two 3rds (97,101) , a 6th (205) and a 7th (252)

Last edited:
Why do so many mock drafts have us taking a QB in the later rounds, haven’t we already done that with Etling?

Surely the next QB we take is the ‘actual’ heir apparent in the first or second..

Why do so many mock drafts have us taking a QB in the later rounds, haven’t we already done that with Etling?

Surely the next QB we take is the ‘actual’ heir apparent in the first or second..

It's good business to invest in quarterbacks. Look at the return we got for Cassel, for example. Hoyer is getting older, and while he's a good scout team guy, he probably will transition to coaching in the next few years (purely my speculation, no sources on that). I like that we keep adding players with the right mindset for very little draft capital. I'd take a guy late every year if I were running an NFL team. You never know when your flashy first-round pick may get injured or not work out (look at RGIII & Cousins).

Deebo is a legit WR prospect. If we get him at 56 or 64, that would be a really good pick. Humphrey is like CP. He will do damage on hand offs or screen game but rather useless as a typical receiver.

Deebo is a legit WR prospect. If we get him at 56 or 64, that would be a really good pick. Humphrey is like CP. He will do damage on hand offs or screen game but rather useless as a typical receiver.

I'm a little higher on Humphrey than that, but I agree he's similar to CP. He's very good in jump ball situations, though; he can Moss people. I'd actually like to see him here. I enjoy watching his YAC.

I am all in on Samuel. I think he can play the z and the slot for us, plus return kicks. He should be on a he board when we pick in the second round.

my first stab at first-pick..I think their rating are a bit out of date, but I would like this draft very much:
Round 1 Pick 32: Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (B-)
Round 2 Pick 24: Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College (A)
Round 2 Pick 32: Tillery, Jerry, DT, Notre Dame (A-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Miller, Christian, OLB, Alabama (A)
Round 3 Pick 33 (COMP): Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 3 Pick 37 (COMP): Thorson, Clayton, QB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32: Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32 (COMP): Alaka, Otaro, ILB/SS, Texas AM (A+)
Round 7 Pick 25: Bee, Ryan, DT, Marshall (A+)
Round 7 Pick 32: Seibert, Austin, K, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 7 Pick 38 (COMP): Jones, Hootie, SS, Alabama (A-)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back