PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Defense Is Being Defined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, we always NEED another quality EDGE rusher. If we re-sign Simon, we will have the same De's as last year, with Bennett replacing Flowers.

Agreed. He’s just not signed yet obviously.

What worries me about this is that Wake is 37 years old and his numbers have trended down over the past three seasons. After Bennett, I wouldn't take another risk on a "geriatric fountain of youth" type.

I'm also not high on the team bringing Clayborn back. So...yeah, a lot to be done along the defensive front.

Agreed but Wake could be affordable in a rotational role. The rest of the EDGEs will be expensive.

Don't forget Dawson, we invested a 2nd on him last year. Also hoping McCourty will come back as well. If that's the case, we have arguably the best 1-2 corner tandem in the league and some good young talent and throw in McCourty. Pretty stacked in my opinion

OK, I officially like Jackson a lot. But "stacked" at CB?

We have

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones (on a tender and probably gone next year, and will need to be replaced)
Crossen

OK, we disagree

GILMORE is one of the best in the league.

DAWSON has shown very little, and he has been injured. And the fact that drafted a defensive back in the 2nd isn't exactly indicative of greatness.

MCCOURTY coming back would indeed make the difference for me.

JACKSON is a fine young player. I wouldn't have him as good enough to give us the one of the top tandems in the game. It seems folks once thought that about another UDFA corner.

Don't forget Dawson, we invested a 2nd on him last year. Also hoping McCourty will come back as well. If that's the case, we have arguably the best 1-2 corner tandem in the league and some good young talent and throw in McCourty. Pretty stacked in my opinion

Still have a long way to go with this D.

On the whole I think Bennett for Flowers is 95% a wash this year.

They won't be losing anything else important in the front 7 imo. Mostly replacement level starters.

As for the DBs that will get interesting. Jackson looks to be a good player but I think the sample size is to small and uneven to feel good about him as the no brainer #2.

We will see what happens with the McCourty bros. I'd like to keep both at the right price if possible.

If they do that they are just a few routine minor signings away from this D being just as good as last year imo.

Front Six/Seven
1) Bennett replaces Flowers.
2) We need to re-sign Simon or replacement.
3) We need to sign or re-sign a DT.

4) Clayborn is going nowhere unless a draftee beats him out in the pre-season.
5) We will likely use 2-3 of our first 7 picks on the DL.

Linebacker
We are all set, except for re-signing or signing special teamers.

Defensive Backfield
5) Jones will be tendered.
6) McCourty is now a long-shot, but we have Gilmore, Jackson, Jones and Crossen.
7) We might draft a CB, look a ObiWann at Cb or sign a JAG.
You learned what we are doing in free agency within a couple of hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back