Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Front Six/Seven
1) Bennett replaces Flowers.
2) We need to re-sign Simon or replacement.
3) We need to sign or re-sign a DT.

4) Clayborn is going nowhere unless a draftee beats him out in the pre-season.
5) We will likely use 2-3 of our first 7 picks on the DL.

Linebacker
We are all set, except for re-signing or signing special teamers.

Defensive Backfield
5) Jones will be tendered.
6) McCourty is now a long-shot, but we have Gilmore, Jackson, Jones and Crossen.
7) We might draft a CB, look a ObiWann at Cb or sign a JAG.

Front Six/Seven
1) Bennett replaces Flowers.
2) We need to re-sign Simon or replacement.
3) We need to sign or re-sign a DT.

4) Clayborn is going nowhere unless a draftee beats him out in the pre-season.
5) We will likely use 2-3 of our first 7 picks on the DL.

Linebacker
We are all set, except for re-signing or signing special teamers.

Defensive Backfield
5) Jones will be tendered.
6) McCourty is now a long-shot, but we have Gilmore, Jackson, Jones and Crossen.
7) We might draft a CB, look a ObiWann at Cb or sign a JAG.

We need two DTs.

We need two DTs.

I am presuming that we sign or re-sign one, and draft one.

Guy, fa, Butler, draftee, Kamalu

I'm fine with a second free agent to compete with Kamalu.

Would be nice if Rivers or Davis stepped up next year.

Zack Cox‏Verified account @ZackCoxNESN 15m15 minutes ago
Updated look at the Patriots' defensive end depth chart:

Michael Bennett
Adrian Clayborn
Deatrich Wise
Derek Rivers
Ufomba Kamalu
Keionta Davis

I definitely see them adding here through the draft.

Defensive line won’t cut it as it currently stands

Fortunately FA didn't start yet, the draft is still months away and we have picks and long term cap space to make trades.

Yeah, I’m not panicking.

At this point we need a lot but free agency hasn't even opened yet

I would say there is a clear need at DT and WR where we are lacking starters. Then a slightly lesser but still significant need at DE and TE where we need quality depth/starter competition. I'd then add in CB and OT competition. And obviously a kicker/punter.

I don't see us shelling out much in free agency at all really. Instead I see a few 1-2 year low level deals for some role players in free agency. Then a couple of trades for players on lower salaries (like Bennett) and mainly focusing on retooling through the draft.

You've been around long enough not to be shocked.

In addition to defensive lineman or TE, Belichick could
1) trade down
2) trade into 2020
3) pick a QB
4) pick a CB
5) pick an OL
6) trade up for a QB

NONE of these would shock me.

If our 1st pick in the draft isn't on the d-line or tight end, I'd be shocked.

I expect us to re-sign Simon, tender Jones, and re-sign either Shelton or Brown. That would solidify the defense a lot going into the draft, where I would expect us to draft a couple of DL's early.
=============
As far as who will catch the ball (other than Edelman and Gronk), ?????????

At this point we need a lot but free agency hasn't even opened yet

I would say there is a clear need at DT and WR where we are lacking starters. Then a slightly lesser but still significant need at DE and TE where we need quality depth/starter competition. I'd then add in CB and OT competition. And obviously a kicker/punter.

I don't see us shelling out much in free agency at all really. Instead I see a few 1-2 year low level deals for some role players in free agency. Then a couple of trades for players on lower salaries (like Bennett) and mainly focusing on retooling through the draft.

The defense’ defining characteristics the 2nd half of the season was their #1 3rd down % & elite pass defense metrics. I trust the team to find a serviceable 20-30 snap run stuffer. The Pass D is where the games are primarily won & lost on that side of the ball. On that note:

3rd down/obvious passing situations

DE: Wise/Clayborn
DT: Bennett (Takes Flowers’ role)
DT: Butler
DE ???

LB: Van Noy
LB: Hightower/Bentley

CB1: Gilmore
CB2: Jackson
SCB: Jones (needs to be tendered)
S: McCourty
S: Chung/Harmon

The team basically needs another quality EDGE rusher to run a high level pass defense. Their CB depth will be worse as J-Mac will probably be gone. Butler is good in this role so the key will be to find an upgrade over Shelton/Brown in the early down DT role. Shouldn’t be hard.

This defense would’ve been nasty with Trey but alas we move on. Cameron Wake would look mighty nice as the last piece to the above.

I wouldn't be shocked if we traded down either. When we do make our first pick, if we pick a corner I will be shocked...that's probably our most stacked position. I'd also be shocked if we picked an OL with our first pick, another loaded position with everyone coming back except Brown and Wynn who we drafted with our 1st pick last year. Can't see it.

As far as drafting a qb, I don't see us taking one with our first pick. Could I be wrong, sure...it wouldn't be the first time, but we'll see. That's what makes this time of year so fun!!!!!

You've been around long enough not to be shocked.

In addition to defensive lineman or TE, Belichick could
1) trade down
2) trade into 2020
3) pick a QB
4) pick a CB
5) pick an OL
6) trade up for a QB

NONE of these would shock me.

Sure, we always NEED another quality EDGE rusher. If we re-sign Simon, we will have the same De's as last year, with Bennett replacing Flowers.

The defense’ defining characteristics the 2nd half of the season was their #1 3rd down % & elite pass defense metrics. I trust the team to find a serviceable 20-30 snap run stuffer. The Pass D is where the games are primarily won & lost on that side of the ball. On that note:

DE ???

The team basically needs another quality EDGE rusher to run a high level pass defense. Their CB depth will be worse as J-Mac will probably be gone. Butler is good in this role so the key will be to find an upgrade over Shelton/Brown in the early down DT role. Shouldn’t be hard.

This defense would’ve been nasty with Trey but alas we move on. Cameron Wake would look mighty nice as the last piece to the above.

DE ???

What worries me about this is that Wake is 37 years old and his numbers have trended down over the past three seasons. After Bennett, I wouldn't take another risk on a "geriatric fountain of youth" type.

I'm also not high on the team bringing Clayborn back. So...yeah, a lot to be done along the defensive front.

OK, I officially like Jackson a lot. But "stacked" at CB?

We have

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones (on a tender and probably gone next year, and will need to be replaced)
Crossen

When we do make our first pick, if we pick a corner I will be shocked...that's probably our most stacked position. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News