PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 Big Boards

WaterfallJumper

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
My first go around, pre-Combine. I threw this together while working, so I probably left off some names, included others I shouldn't have, and generally arranged them out of order. I expect significant changes before the draft. Please also keep in mind that I've skipped most of the consensus top-25 guys, since there's no real point in listing Bosa or Williams for a Patriots-Type Player board when we're picking 32.

I decided to create three boards, broken down by projected starters, role players, and developmental players. The rankings within each board are roughly in order, but don't reflect final grades. I probably have too many players, honestly, and should cut this down by about 15 - 25 before the draft.

Oh, and Trevon Wesco is inexplicably missing from their list, so I couldn't add him. :mad:

Feel free to create and share your own!

Starters

Role players; potential starters

Developmental players

EDIT: I listed Tillery twice. Oops!

Last edited:
Hi @reamer . Have you looked at Kahale Warring, the TE from San Diego State? 6-6, 250lbs, blocks inline and good enough to take on linebackers and has good athleticism (not sure how good yet though). Also seems to have good hands clutching the ball away from his body.

I did a search on here and didn’t find any mention of him. Lance Ziegler’s has him as his 4th best TE.

Warring beating press.

And loved this TD

Sorry Reamz, don’t want to hijack your thread (which I’ll use as a template. Many thanks).

Hi @reamer . Have you looked at Kahale Warring, the TE from San Diego State? 6-6, 250lbs, blocks inline and good enough to take on linebackers and has good athleticism (not sure how good yet though). Also seems to have good hands clutching the ball away from his body.

I did a search on here and didn’t find any mention of him. Lance Ziegler’s has him as his 4th best TE.

Yes, I've looked at him some, but not as extensively as the other players yet. @BaconGrundleCandy profiled Warring in his thread recently. I'm not claiming to have an exhausting list above -- I wanted to start the conversation and keep myself limited to a smaller player pool so that I had to make tough decisions. I'm not convinced that I've made the right ones, yet, or that this is the final iteration.

Good to see you around. Hope you'll join us for the next months leading up to the draft. :cool:

Yes, I've looked at him some, but not as extensively as the other players yet. @BaconGrundleCandy profiled Warring in his thread recently. I'm not claiming to have an exhausting list above -- I wanted to start the conversation and keep myself limited to a smaller player pool so that I had to make tough decisions. I'm not convinced that I've made the right ones, yet, or that this is the final iteration.

Good to see you around. Hope you'll join us for the next months leading up to the draft. :cool:

I’ll see how much I get into the combine. That usually gets me focused on who to watch.

Wonder if we double dip at TE a la 2010. A receiver like Fant or Smith at 32. An in line TE with a supplemental 3. I looked at ESPN Insider rankings. Have Fant at 32.

1. N. Fant TE Iowa
2. N. Harry WR ASU
2. Chauncy Gardner-Johnson - DB
3. Y. Cajuste - T - WVU
3. K. Smith - TE - Stanford
3. A. Nelson - DE - Iowa

No DT or QB.

Hope Gronk comes back for 1 more year and we keep Flowers. Guessing Brown, J. McCourty will be gone. Along with D. Allen.

Would love to get a veteran WR and DT. UFA or Trade.

Great find manman they have him way down the list of TE's maybe a testament to how deep the class is. I really hope the Pats do their homework and double dip great year to do it.

Will move this here:

Draft Guru Reamer what's your take of these Three TE's.

Jace Sternberger Texas A&M

Zach Gentry Michigan

Kaden Smith Stanford

I would like us to get a couple of Y TE's I think Sternberger and Gentry can carry more weigh on their frames and might be sleepers beyond the Top 2. I think Kaden Smith have a Super pair of hands but is molasses slow in the open field. Irv Smith reminds of a much better version of the Criminal a Super move TE in the mold of a Big WR.

Last edited:
Wonder if we double dip at TE a la 2010. A receiver like Fant or Smith at 32. An in line TE with a supplemental 3. I looked at ESPN Insider rankings. Have Fant at 32.

1. N. Fant TE Iowa
2. N. Harry WR ASU
2. Chauncy Gardner-Johnson - DB
3. Y. Cajuste - T - WVU
3. K. Smith - TE - Stanford
3. A. Nelson - DE - Iowa

No DT or QB.

Hope Gronk comes back for 1 more year and we keep Flowers. Guessing Brown, J. McCourty will be gone. Along with D. Allen.

Would love to get a veteran WR and DT. UFA or Trade.

patspa: that's an excellent draft I hope BB and Patriots Director of Player personnel are paying attention. This Board have been spot on with some picks they have passed on over the years. Ps. I like Kaden Smith a awful lot too with one of our Thirds.

Will move this here:

Draft Guru Reamer what's your take of theses Three TE's.

Jace Sternberger Texas A&M

Zach Gentry Michigan

Kaden Smith Stanford

I would like us to get a couple of Y TE's I think Sternberger and Gentry can carry more weigh on their frames and might be sleepers beyond the Top 2. I think Kaden Smith have a Super pair of hands but is molasses slow in the open field. Irv Smith reminds of a much better version of the Criminal a Super move TE in the mold of a Big WR.

I haven't finished my eval on Sternberger yet. I know @Ochmed Jones likes him a lot. Maybe he can chime in to give you some more feedback.

Gentry has a great frame and shows some solid fundamentals, but I remember coming away from his games asking where he upgrades the roster. Maybe he develops well enough as a blocker to allow the Patriots to move on from Allen's salary, but even that might be too big of a projection.

Along the same lines, what does Smith brings to the team that Izzo (last year's TE pick) doesn't? Okay, that's probably hyperbole, since I think Smith is a better route runner/pass catcher, but I don't know if I'd invest a top 100 pick into him.

I guess I'm not much of a guru. :p:D

I haven't finished my eval on Sternberger yet. I know @Ochmed Jones likes him a lot. Maybe he can chime in to give you some more feedback.

Gentry has a great frame and shows some solid fundamentals, but I remember coming away from his games asking where he upgrades the roster. Maybe he develops well enough as a blocker to allow the Patriots to move on from Allen's salary, but even that might be too big of a projection.

Along the same lines, what does Smith brings to the team that Izzo (last year's TE pick) doesn't? Okay, that's probably hyperbole, since I think Smith is a better route runner/pass catcher, but I don't know if I'd invest a top 100 pick into him.

I guess I'm not much of a guru. :p:D

I am a huge sternburger fan. But not as a blocker. I want him in the deep seam causing all types of match up problems. The only tight end to catch the high fastball today was Sternburger.

The kid from LSU also intrigued me. If we double dip, those are the two I want.

For blocking we have gronkowski and izzo.

Jachai Polite had horrible interviews and cried about it. He will be free falling in draft biards!

I have just watching Jaylen Ferguson tapes and was so impressed. Then I read some articles he was not even invited to the scouting combine because of his issues before playing football in college. What's your opinion about him? How much his stocks will be fallen down in the draft ?

I have just watching Jaylen Ferguson tapes and was so impressed. Then I read some articles he was not even invited to the scouting combine because of his issues before playing football in college. What's your opinion about him? How much his stocks will be fallen down in the draft ?

I don't think his stock will -- or should -- fall that much. He got in a fight at a McDonald's in high school. He hasn't had a problem before or since. That said, he's an older prospect if I recall, and we have no idea what his testing may look like, so I'd expect a fall. He's not a bendy speed player, but I do like his ability to play with some power. He looks like a solid fit here. If I had to guess, the great performances by other prospects will push him down in the 3rd+ range, although I think he's a better player than some of the guys who will be drafted before him. We'll see.

I don't know if this is legitimate, but it seems right. Check out the Raiders evals from 2010. Not as detailed as I expected; they just summarize the player quickly. Still, it's kind of neat to see their boards at several positions. I like their grading scale the best, however, as it correlates pretty well to mine. ;)

xHfzQ6a.jpg

I don't know if this is legitimate, but it seems right. Check out the Raiders evals from 2010. Not as detailed as I expected; they just summarize the player quickly. Still, it's kind of neat to see their boards at several positions. I like their grading scale the best, however, as it correlates pretty well to mine. ;)

xHfzQ6a.jpg

Really appreciate you posting this, awesome

That Raiders grading system solves the whole drafting BPA but only at a position of need issue with the “providing we do not have an outstanding individual at this position” caveat.

The Draft Network

created a big board here. After some more film review I came to the conclusion that some of the projected 1st rounders are vastly overrated. Some are obviously good but some just aren't that good like a Rashan Gary or Jawaan Taylor.

Ok, my 'hot takes' include Summers, Gaillard, Haynes and some others but was impressed what they showed on the field. Armstead and Edoga are 2 sleepers to me nobody talks about.

The Draft Network

created a big board here. After some more film review I came to the conclusion that some of the projected 1st rounders are vastly overrated. Some are obviously good but some just aren't that good like a Rashan Gary or Jawaan Taylor.

Ok, my 'hot takes' include Summers, Gaillard, Haynes and some others but was impressed what they showed on the field. Armstead and Edoga are 2 sleepers to me nobody talks about.

One thing to bear in mind with Edoga is that I’ve seen/heard both Matt Miller and Dane Brugler talk about him having very serious maturity red flags.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back