PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Training Camp Thread - Day 14* (8/14/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They underpaid Amendola for years, forcing him to take pay cuts. When healthy, he's been a quality part of the offense. So all the "but money!" arguments are nonsense, because the pay bump could easily have been justified.

But not paying Amendola is only going to be an issue if the receivers don't get it done. As is almost always the case when a sports team moves on from a player, the real issue is who's brought in to replace him, because it's the impact of the replacement player that largely determines the value gained or lost by moving on from the now-former player.

Agreed, hard to make any judgement until we are into the season.

The bump could have been justified since he had taken a lot less than market for several years, and did perform. But they really diddnt use him as a full time player.

I love the guy and wish he was still here.

Also, how do you pay DA 6 mil when you are paying Hogan 3 and JE 1.5?

To be fair JE has a higher cap charge than Hogan if you dont ignore the signing bonus. But either way that is the key issue right there. Howe and other beat guys have talked about this last offseason a lot. BB apparently likes to have essentially a salary ladder for negotiation purposes. He will say I can't pay you more than whoever is above you in the hierarchy. Brady's low salary was allegedly often used by him in negotations with others in the vein of "can't pay you more than Brady".

Either way a bump of 6m to Amendola would require salary bumps to Edelman and Hogan as they are bigger contributors and clearly ahead of Dola in the WR depth chart.

Howe went into more depth about it. It was in one of his Butler episodes when we were all hoping for an extension in the offseason before the sillyness with the Saints even started.

IDK why the team doesn't just sign Dez Bryant. It would be a 1 year thing but clearly he would be good here.

Dez would happily take 6M for 1 year to play with Brady and set himself up for that last contract. No reason not to at this point.

How many times does it need to be said that Oklahoma State had to simplify their offense for Dez while he was there? What about that would make anyone think "clearly he would be good here," especially since it's already mid-August?

Was posted earlier in thread; said he walked back to the field to get his pads and said he "was all right".
I take the player's assessment with a grain of salt. As in "not an acl." But a lot of other things will kerp him out of action for a bit, which is not what we need. I will feel better when he catches a bunch of footballs Thursday night.
This is one to monitor, as the Pats don't have many reliable options at wide receiver. Kenny Britt is off the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, but he's hardly practicing. He hasn't yet participated in team drills or 1-on-1s. Eric Decker hasn't made a particularly strong impression, and Cordarrelle Patterson does not receive many reps with Tom Brady (although he has delivered a handful of highlight plays in training camp).

The Pats parted ways with Malcolm Mitchell and Jordan Matthews earlier in camp.
Patriots training camp: Injury scare at wide receiver in Tuesday's practice

Last edited:
We will see. What I have seen "bite this team in the ass" is injuries and lack of depth. And DA gets injured hence the snap count.

DA has a 6 mil cap hit
Decker, Britt, Dorsett, Turner and Lucian combined are less than that.

Also, how do you pay DA 6 mil when you are paying Hogan 3 and JE 1.5?

Also, Patterson has been a solid 3 WR and is probably the second greatest return guy of all time. He dosent even need to be our 3 WR here and we have him for 3 million.

DA is strictly a role player now. And you can restructure Dwayne Allen this year. You could not do it again with DA

Turner and Lucien are camp fodder waiver wire guys, Britt has done nothing and has a shaky track record, Decker has looked to be in decline and Dorset is a fringe roster player. If 2 of those guys make the roster, I'd be surprised

Amendola is more valuable than that quintet of has beens and never will bes

That's not to say Amendola is worth what Miami paid him. But the "replace two proven guys (Cooks and Amendola) with quantity over quality" plan looks pretty terrible right about now. Matthews is on IR, Patterson is known garbage at WR and Britt/Decker have been underwhelming at best in their very minimal camp time

I don't know how anyone can look at this collection of WR and be anything other than worried unless you're buying heavily into Patterson/Dorsett blossoming into quality players.

It's a bad WR group that needs an awful lot of "ifs" to go in the Pats favor to be a strong group. The fundamental strategy this off-season was questionable

I'm ok with losing Cooks and Amendola but the pile of crap brought in to replace them is frightening

Turner and Lucien are camp fodder waiver wire guys, Britt has done nothing and has a shaky track record, Decker has looked to be in decline and Dorset is a fringe roster player. If 2 of those guys make the roster, I'd be surprised

That's not to say Amendola is worth what Miami paid him. But the "replace two proven guys (Cooks and Amendola) with quantity over quality" plan looks pretty terrible right about now. Matthews is on IR, Patterson is known garbage at WR and Britt/Decker have been underwhelming at best in their very minimal camp time

I don't know how anyone can look at this collection of WR and be anything other than worried unless you're buying heavily into Patterson/Dorsett blossoming into quality players.

It's a bad WR group that needs an awful lot of "ifs" to go in the Pats favor to be a strong group. The fundamental strategy this off-season was questionable

I'm ok with losing Cooks and Amendola but the pile of crap brought in to replace them is frightening

DOOMED images.jpg

Comments on WR's:

Amendola - I am going to be targeting him in the mid-rounds of my FFL's....THEN try selling him high after 4 weeks. He'll be HUGE in Miami...especially with Landry on the Browns and Parker's injured finger. Amendola produces when he gets reps.... I am seeing a 4 week total line of 32 rec, 400 yards, and 4 TD's….before he gets dinged up.

Dez Bryant - Not seeing what he would bring that Kenny Britt doesn't already bring and I think Britt is an even better route runner too. That being said...I wouldn't object to Dez AND Gronk in the red zone though....defenses would be all over those two.

Dorsett - He's my binky! Hope he's OK!

And whoever pointed out that we don't pay WR's more than Edelman is spot on, IMO. That has been a part of our problem in attracting talent...the "hierarchy" in place. Then again, it saves us a ton of money for other parts of our team and Brady elevates WR's...….hmmm...I mean we aren't paying 17M a year for a guy like AB which is more than we are paying ALL OF OUR WR's....

No it would make no sense on any BB run team whatsoever to pay Dola what he gets in Miami.

He is getting low-end WR1 money. He is not even a full WR3 and needs to be kept on a snap count or you run risk wearing him down. We are using RBs and TEs so he would be maybe the fifth or sixth option sometimes. He is turning 33. None of this makes any sense in terms of value.

Like I said in a different post I LOVED Dola. I wish he would have retired here. Bringing up Allen being arguably overpaid does not change that what the Dolphins offered Dola was crazy money.

I loved Dola. Clutch! Hated to see him go but liked seeing him ca$h in at last. Regrettably the right decision for the team.
Posters who say we're too thin in WR depth w/o Dola and in the same post suggest cutting Allen for the $ contradict their argument. What's the depth at TE if Gronk goes down? WORSE than the WR depth with Dola gone! No TE with any pass threat who can block.

No complaints from me there the BB lemmings:rolleyes: refuse to see it though. Just wait until Gronk is consistently doubled and Hogan faces #1CB's consistently. It might be slim pickings for Brady and the Offense hopefully they have a running game. We better hope Gronk or Hogan doesn't miss time early on very paltry looking bunch after them poor Brady.

No complaints from me there the BB lemmings:rolleyes: refuse to see it though. Just wait until Gronk is consistently doubled and Hogan faces #1CB's consistently. It might be slim pickings for Brady and the Offense hopefully they have a running game. We better hope Gronk or Hogan doesn't miss time early on very paltry looking bunch after them poor Brady.

The second game against the jags will be interesting. We will see if anyone can beat man coverage. Without cooks we lose last year.

I loved Dola. Clutch! Hated to see him go but liked seeing him ca$h in at last. Regrettably the right decision for the team.
Posters who say we're too thin in WR depth w/o Dola and in the same post suggest cutting Allen for the $ contradict their argument. What's the depth at TE if Gronk goes down? WORSE than the WR depth with Dola gone! No TE with any pass threat who can block.
At TE we have a GOAT and depth issues. At WR, we start the season with a WR3 and depth issues.

I read some who said Allen is well worth his hefty cap hit...shaking my head. :eek:Didn't know Blocking TE were worth that much.... may be it's just me though. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes