PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Patriots Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't. But that didn't stop a significant portion of this board from acting like he was a huge piece for the defense.

I’m guilty for thinking his speed was going to be a welcome addition to one of the slowest lb cores in the league. Sad it didn’t work out, thank god it looks like we hit on Bentley.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Interesting. I think SEA still has the option of working out an injury settlement with the kid and then eventually sending him on his way.

My interpretation is they were trying to weasel out out paying him that hence they just cut him.

I wonder if the NFLPA got involved?

@prime, @alex

A couple of things are unclear to me. First, under what (if any) circumstances is a team required to attach the "injured" designation to a waiver? For example, was he practicing through discomfort, but simply couldn't perform well-enough (e.g., Malcolm Mitchell)? Had Darboh independently scheduled his surgery before he was waived? If so, did the Seahawks know about it?

Apparently, the Seahawks did NOT use the "waived-injured" designation when they released Darboh initially. The Pats may not have put in a claim if they had.

I’m guilty for thinking his speed was going to be a welcome addition to one of the slowest lb cores in the league. Sad it didn’t work out, thank god it looks like we hit on Bentley.

I was a fan of his through the 2017 preseason and thought he had potential. He may still. I think the only thing that didn't work out is he wasn't in our top PS priorities.

He didn't. But that didn't stop a significant portion of this board from acting like he was a huge piece for the defense.

It's bizarre to me to see the same people talking **** about Sony Michel who are lamenting the loss of Harvey Langi.

@prime, @alex

A couple of things are unclear to me. First, under what (if any) circumstances is a team required to attach the "injured" designation to a waiver? For example, was he practicing through discomfort, but simply couldn't perform well-enough (e.g., Malcolm Mitchell)? Had Darboh independently scheduled his surgery before he was waived? If so, did the Seahawks know about it?

Apparently, the Seahawks did NOT use the "waived-injured" designation when they released Darboh initially. The Pats may not have put in a claim if they had.

There's a lengthy injury grievance section of the CBA. The main difference between Darboh and Mitchell is that Mitchell was practicing this offseason, which meant he had been cleared by doctors. The Patriots waived him under a performance designation.

If, say, the Seahawks had claimed Mitchell and he had failed a physical, he would have reverted to IR on the Patriots similar to Darboh. But the likelihood with Mitchell was simply that he was capable of passing a physical but injuries had piled up such that he was no longer capable of performing at a level required of an NFL player.

The other possibility is that the Patriots asked Mitchell to come to practice in full pads so they could cut him and then have evidence against a grievance. That'd be scummy but it would be a way to avoid paying. I don't pretend the team we root for is virtuous. It'd be the way I'd do it if I wanted to do it, speaking as a labor union leader. It checks the boxes.

There's a lengthy injury grievance section of the CBA. The main difference between Darboh and Mitchell is that Mitchell was practicing this offseason, which meant he had been cleared by doctors. The Patriots waived him under a performance designation.

If, say, the Seahawks had claimed Mitchell and he had failed a physical, he would have reverted to IR on the Patriots similar to Darboh. But the likelihood with Mitchell was simply that he was capable of passing a physical but injuries had piled up such that he was no longer capable of performing at a level required of an NFL player.

The other possibility is that the Patriots asked Mitchell to come to practice in full pads so they could cut him and then have evidence against a grievance. That'd be scummy but it would be a way to avoid paying. I don't pretend the team we root for is virtuous. It'd be the way I'd do it if I wanted to do it, speaking as a labor union leader. It checks the boxes.

It appears to me that the Mitchell and Darboh situations were identical. Neither was on Camp/PUP. Darboh apparently also passed the Seahawks' Camp physical, as Mitchell had with the Pats, and then practiced. Both were ultimately waived/performance.

It seems possible to me, though, that there was a difference of opinion between the Pats' medical staff and the Seahawks' medical staff wrt the severity of Darboh's injuries. Maybe the Seahawks' doctors were being dishonest (or incompetent), but maybe not.

It appears to me that the Mitchell and Darboh situations were identical. Neither was on Camp/PUP. Darboh apparently also passed the Seahawks' Camp physical, as Mitchell had with the Pats, and then practiced. Both were ultimately waived/performance.

It seems possible to me, though, that there was a difference of opinion between the Pats' medical staff and the Seahawks' medical staff wrt the severity of Darboh's injuries. Maybe the Seahawks' doctors were being dishonest (or incompetent), but maybe not.

Of course, it's worth remembering that the doctors are really there for the team, not the players, insofar as their interests are at odds.

Of course, it's worth remembering that the doctors are really there for the team, not the players, insofar as their interests are at odds.
It's entirely possible that SEA would have gotten away with it if he hadn't been claimed and then released with failed physical designation.

It's entirely possible that SEA would have gotten away with it if he hadn't been claimed and then released with failed physical designation.

Right.

Some think that the Patriots' medical staff can not diagnose "bone on bone" in a player's knee so Seattle probably would not have gotten away with Darboh's release since he must have had an artificial knee or something similar in order for Darboh to fail the Pat's physical. o_O

I would've tried to sign Chad Hansen to the PS instead of McCarron.

BB the GM at it again trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore