PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 patriots draft; a look back; hint its terrible

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
  • Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia (Round 1, Pick No. 23)
  • Sony Michel, RB, Georgia (Round 1, Pick No. 31)
  • Duke Dawson, CB, Florida (Round 2, Pick No. 56)
  • Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB, Purdue (Round 5, Pick No. 143)
  • Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State (Round 6, Pick No. 178)
  • Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami (Round 6, Pick No. 210)

• any other GM would be long gone by now

Pathetic draft. Trade a major contributor on the 2018 team, yet pick up an option for the guy who hasn’t done anything and gets worse every year (Wynn). Dawson was another ridiculous DB pick that wasn’t needed. Became a sickness a year later taking Williams.

Had Kraft not publicly called out Bill, we’d more drafts like this. We should be thankful Bob finally lit a fire under Bill to take the draft more seriously.

Originality score of this thread (hint, it’s terrible):

1633738429034.gif

This topic has been beaten to death already.

Love threads like this where the OP makes a ridiculous comment with ZERO comparison while acting like they are the bees knees..

Wynn - 4 year starter.
Michel - Starting caliber RB (NOT superstar)
Bentley - 4 year contributor
Ryan Izzo - back-up TE, capable Special Teamer.

Berrios - Capable Slot Receiver. IRed in 2018. Tried to hide him on the PS in 2019. Jets grabbed him.
Keion Crossen - Back-up DB. Couldn't break through a stacked defensive backfield during 2019. Was Houston's starting Slot Corner in 2020.

Duke Dawson - Bust - Traded for a 6th rounder. Couldn't break through a stacked backfield once healthy. Back on the IR with Houston.

Danny Etling and Cristian Sam - 6th rounders that the Pats took flyers on..

7of 9 players are still in the league. The only ones NOT in the league is Christian Sam and Danny Etling. And Etling was in camp with the Seahawks and Vikings this year.

Care to show what the other 31 teams did with their 2018 Picks?

Love threads like this where the OP makes a ridiculous comment with ZERO comparison while acting like they are the bees knees..

Wynn - 4 year starter.

Berrios - Capable Slot Receiver. IRed in 2018. Tried to hide him on the PS in 2019. Jets grabbed him.
Keion Crossen - Back-up DB. Couldn't break through a stacked defensive backfield during 2019. Was Houston's starting Slot Corner in 2020.

Duke Dawson - Bust - Traded for a 6th rounder. Couldn't break through a stacked backfield once healthy. Back on the IR with Houston.

7of 9 players are still in the league. The only ones NOT in the league is Christian Sam and Danny Etling. And Etling was in camp with the Seahawks and Vikings this year.

Yup. Bentley was an excellent pick in the fifth round.

I mean, let’s start other threads. Here are a few suggestions :

-Brady was a system QB
-BB is an embarrassment because he only has 6 rings as a HC and only a couple more from his time with the Giants. Less than 10 = fail.
-Since NE doesn’t have many HoFers from the early 2000s, were they even a dynasty ?
-WR stats are all I live for & since NE rarely has players with awesome stats, they were never very good (even during SB seasons)

I actually don’t think the draft was that terrible. Wynn has been decent enough, when healthy. Not sure what happened this year though. I think Michel was a waste of a pick, we have had a lot of success drafting rb’s in the late second, early third. Considering Bentley is a good player and berrios is decent, it’s really not a terrible draft at all. Dawson was bad, no doubt, but that’s our annual waste a pick on a bust db pick

It was a bad draft, but I bet you can find plenty other teams who had worse drafts than the Pats did that year. Hell, the Pats arguably had the second best draft in the AFC East that year. Faint praise considering how bad both the Jets and Dolphins drafted, but still.

I mean, let’s start other threads. Here are a few suggestions :

-Brady was a system QB
-BB is an embarrassment because he only has 6 rings as a HC and only a couple more from his time with the Giants. Less than 10 = fail.
-Since NE doesn’t have many HoFers from the early 2000s, were they even a dynasty ?
-WR stats are all I live for & since NE rarely has players with awesome stats, they were never very good (even during SB seasons)

You forgot "There's no way X makes this team!"

Wynn - 4 year starter.

Sure. And I’m just choosing teams who made picks right around ours. Not fair to compare teams who picked in the top half of the first round.

Indy-back to back picks early round 2 after the Wynn/Michel picks. Darius Leonard and Braden Smith.

Carolina-DJ Moore 2 picks after Wynn and Donte Jackson a pick before Dawson.

Baltimore- Lamar Jackson (and if you wanna argue that he wasn’t a fit here that’s fine. Still a boom pick for them at 32.) Followed up in rounds 3 and 4 with Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown.

I'm a totall BB supporter but that is not a good draft, given the draft capital invested.

Pathetic draft. Trade a major contributor on the 2018 team, yet pick up an option for the guy who hasn’t done anything and gets worse every year (Wynn). Dawson was another ridiculous DB pick that wasn’t needed. Became a sickness a year later taking Williams.

Had Kraft not publicly called out Bill, we’d more drafts like this. We should be thankful Bob finally lit a fire under Bill to take the draft more seriously.

Another commonality both picks share is that Little Billy Notgoat traded UP both times for them.

#FireTheBelichicks

Do you care, and can you stand it anymore?

I wish all the dislikes on that one were preserved. :D

I think Michel is going to become a good player...other than that, the draft was bad.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back