PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 NE Offseason

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that time of year when the office slows down and we can start to look at free agents and draft prospects.

Overall it looks like Patriots are in good shape with a large number of returning players.

Help is needed at LT and the defense could use some playmakers

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster

Yes, that time of year when the office slows down and we can start to look at free agents and draft prospects.

Overall it looks like Patriots are in good shape with a large number of returning players.

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster[/QUOTE

Garcia is listed as guard but isn't he supposed to be a tackle of the future?

Really appreciate the spreadsheet. I'll use this for roster building.

Did I miss Keionta Davis? He's on NFI I believe.

Who is Jackson at LG? Could that be Andrew Jelks?

Freeny is no longer on the team, thank Ganja.

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster

Updated with initial assessment of player quality

PatriotRoster

Not sure where else to put this ...

I think this only applies to Futures contracts, most typically for practice squad guys, but sometimes others.

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster

Thanks for doing this!

I've been keeping my own roster spreadsheet all season and have a new one for 2018 prepped, so yours will give me a way to double-check my own.

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster

I think we resign solder this offseason!

First cap estimate

This will possibly/probably increase by some 20M by cutting vets like Bennett (6.4M), Branch (3.3M), McClellin (2.8M), Harris (2.2M), Britt (1.5M), Gillislee? (2.4M).

They can add another 5M by cutting Richards (1.2M; unlikely IMO) and restructuring (more likely) or cutting Allen (5M).

They can add some more in restructuring Brady, Gronk, D-Mac, Jules, Hogan if needed

Id say 30-35 M as a starting point..

Here all Pats contracts - where you can be doing your own GM-ing..;)

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Link to Google sheet
PatriotRoster

If its not too much bother - can you change the title in “2018 NE Offseason“ ?
(if its meant to be predominantly about NE that is)

I was just about to open my “2018 roster building“ thread and discovered this one is already going on that road..

Last edited:
If its not too much bother - can you change the title in “2018 NE Offseason“ ?
(if its meant to be predominantly about NE that is)

I was just about to open my “2018 roster building“ thread and discovered this one is already going on that road..

Sure, I actually don't know how to do that, send me an private message if this is something I can do, thanks.

This just reinforces my belief that Evans will make his way here, if he doesn't test himself out of our range. Plays inside and outside, on the line as a pass rusher, lines up in man coverage, etc. He's one of the few linebackers this year who can actually stack and shed. Most of the quick coverage guys get exploited in the run game, but Evans has the physicality and grit required to crash with the big boys inside. His closing speed in the open field is better than anyone on our roster currently, and he has years of experience at multiple positions in a defense that shares some concepts with ours, even though it's not identical.

This just reinforces my belief that Evans will make his way here, if he doesn't test himself out of our range. Plays inside and outside, on the line as a pass rusher, lines up in man coverage, etc. He's one of the few linebackers this year who can actually stack and shed. Most of the quick coverage guys get exploited in the run game, but Evans has the physicality and grit required to crash with the big boys inside. His closing speed in the open field is better than anyone on our roster currently, and he has years of experience at multiple positions in a defense that shares some concepts with ours, even though it's not identical.

I would love to see Evans in a New England uniform next year.

He may never be Malik Jefferson in coverage, but in our defense he does so many other things that we desperately need.

With him, Hightower and van noy, we have solid starting linebackers.

For me the offseason starts at LT, Solder is not Joe Thomas but he has been solid and a winner. At LB I am withholding judgement until I see what this band of merry no names can do in the playoffs.

Re-reviewing the people under contract for 2018 the Patriots really can take BPA at key positions. The challenge is how to take adequate players and develop play makers.

He may never be Malik Jefferson in coverage, but in our defense he does so many other things that we desperately need.

Did you see him against Clemson? On the first drive, he had great coverage and broke up a pass against Renfrow. He can blitz, run fill, and cover at a starting level. He may not be as good in coverage as Roquan Smith, or pass rush like Hightower, but he still does everything well.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back