PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Hypothetical offseason scenario: (Poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

2018: do you keep Brady or Jimmy?

• Move on with Jimmy for the future.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Stick with TB12

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Let's say that Jimmy tears it up every time he's on the field over the next two seasons, (meaning we don't trade him) and looks so good to the point that he looks like a future great. Tom also is still playing like Tom.

Do you re up Jimmy, and move forward with him? Or do you give that up to have Brady for a couple more seasons? It'd be difficult to have Brady and Jimmy be under big cap hits at the same time, so it almost feels like one has to be chosen over the other.

Let's say that Jimmy tears it up every time he's on the field over the next two seasons, (meaning we don't trade him) and looks so good to the point that he looks like a future great. Tom also is still playing like Tom.

Do you re up Jimmy, and move forward with him? Or do you give that up to have Brady for a couple more seasons? It'd be difficult to have Brady and Jimmy be under big cap hits at the same time, so it almost feels like one has to be chosen over the other.
If Brady makes 14 and Polo makes 7 or 8, that is 21 or 22 which is what Luck and Rodgers makes. Keep them both

If Brady makes 14 and Polo makes 7 or 8, that is 21 or 22 which is what Luck and Rodgers makes. Keep them both

Brady makes 22 in 2018.

As much as I like Brady i could not bring myself to sacrifice 10-15 years of good QB play for the last 1-3 years of Brady. He will always be a Patriots and retire one I am sure though.

It would be so hard to do though cause to let a QB go that has won you 5-6 superbowls (5 for sure cause they are winning this year) and the GOAT is tough. But even Montana left to KC at the end.

Lets add some logic here

lets assume jimmy plays lights out.

That means hes playing at a high level, which is something probably 50-60% of the teams in teh league are lacking, the patriots are sure to field some offers of a high 2 possibly even a first rounder.

now lets look at the patriots system. They are pretty ruthless in terms of their players. So you have Jimmy playing really well when he gets his opportunities, but then you have brady, lets assume that brady remains brady. Do you cut brady( you can't keep him on the roster after reupping Jimmy at market value(franchise tag at the worst will probably be north of 25 million. or do you ship jimmy out of the AFC east?

I think the patriots are more likely to get a first rounder or a high second rounder and keep brady at a team friendly deal, then they are to give a QB a market value contract, I think BB is confident enough in his system that a pretty okay QB could come in at bring in wins(cassel).

Assuming he plays well I think this will end up being the real question. Meaning if he plays well I doubt we would trade him this off-season.

My heart says stick with Tom. My head is not sure. Obviously you don't want to lose out on the next franchise QB but at the same time the short term answer to what most likely wins you a SB would still be TB.

If Jimmy's skill is still a mystery I think a missing point to this which is an even bigger mystery is Brissett. If you feel confident in him that makes this decision much easier. Stating the obvious but 2 years is a real long time in the NFL so we will have a lot more info at that time.

If he hasn't shown decline I think you ride out TB.

You bite the bullet and find a creative way to keep both. You just find a way. As much as people want to think Tom will last forever, he's not going to.

What changed in the 5 months that have passed since the Pats wrote Brady a huge check to ensure that he's their QB in 2018 and 2019?

What changed in the 5 months that have passed since the Pats wrote Brady a huge check to ensure that he's their QB in 2018 and 2019?

The JG hype train is chugging down the tracks. That's the only thing that changed.

It will be interesting to see if Edelman is available during that first month, as well as how much the positions of OL and RB help Garoppolo's play.

As much as I like Brady i could not bring myself to sacrifice 10-15 years of good QB play for the last 1-3 years of Brady. He will always be a Patriots and retire one I am sure though.

It would be so hard to do though cause to let a QB go that has won you 5-6 superbowls (5 for sure cause they are winning this year) and the GOAT is tough. But even Montana left to KC at the end.
If that was the trade-off, of course most would choose the 10-15 years of good QB play (personally I'd let Brady play as long as he wants, so long as the team remains a SB contender and he sticks to his notion that he'll quit "when i suck"). But what if you traded 1 or 2 of those last years for JG's future but instead of being Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers, he turned out to be more like Tony Romo (really good, but oft-injured) or Nick Foles (27:2 td:int in 2013, lucky to have a job 2 years later)? It's a roll of the dice, always will be, but I don't see why you'd hand the keys to anyone else while the team is still a contender and Brady is still Brady. As accustomed as we all are to the roster turning over and over and the AFCCG's just keep on coming, I guess I could envision a future where some unfortunate things happen (injuries, FA losses or misses, bad drafts catch up) and the 2018, 2019, or 2020 Patriots are more of a total rebuild than the re-tooling we tend to see. In that case...maybe I'd feel differently. Maybe Tom would too.

Montana had injury issues throughout his career and lost his SF job due to injuries that made him miss 2 entire seasons before he asked to be traded. Besides the 4 SB's and dynasty stuff, Brady's durability undermines any comparison to that situation - Montana only even played 16 games twice, the last being 1983. There's no comparison because no one has played this position this well, for this long, with little to no indication of diminishing skills. I don't think it's guaranteed he'll retire as a Patriot - if he felt like he still had a couple years left in him and the team wanted to go younger at QB that could get ugly and I absolutely think Tom would go play somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes