PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 College Watch List: QB's

What does it say about this draft class, that is supposedly strong in qb’s that teams like Cleveland and San Fran, would rather trade for veterans?

Someone will overspend on cousins this offseason, but I would still rather use draft capital than sign a veteran this offseason.

To play Devil's advocate, what does that say about their ability to coach up young QBs?

For example, it's not like the "he only plays in the spread" issue matters that much anymore (2007 Brady was the first to take the majority of snaps from the gun; now, essentially all teams do).

I just wonder who they are looking at, they obviously weren't big fans of Brisket because they traded him away; so who will they look at in next years draft?

WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

Ignore the specific rankings. That’s a solid list of what’s available this year.

Options for Pick 33-36

Baker Mayfield - an undersized QB (6’1) with good leadership, poise & accuracy. Some people really like him comparing him to Drew Brees. I’m on the fence and will dive into him more in the next few months. He will fall due to height & playing in the Big 12. Projected late rd 1-rd 3 based on what I’ve read.

Josh Allen - Schefter reported last draft that he “will be the #1 pick in the 2018 draft, book it.” He’s had a poor season to say the least. He’s 6’5, can throw 80 yards & run a 4.6. He cannot play NFL QB right now. Complete project. Proj top 5 pick to rd 2.

Out of our range:

Josh Rosen - Looking like the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Sam Darnold - Projected top 5 pick if comes out.

Lamar Jackson - Projected top 15 pick. Doesn’t fit our system IMO & has accuracy concerns.

Players I don’t see with much of an NFL future:

Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, etc.

———————————————

Mayfield really is the X factor for this year’s draft. He broke Russell Wilson’s passer rating record in a season last year & may break his own record again.

Last edited:

Ignore the specific rankings. That’s a solid list of what’s available this year.

Options for Pick 33-36

Baker Mayfield - an undersized QB (6’1) with good leadership, poise & accuracy. Some people really like him comparing him to Drew Brees. I’m on the fence and will dive into him more in the next few months. He will fall due to height & playing in the Big 12. Projected late rd 1-rd 3 based on what I’ve read.

Josh Allen - Schefter reported last draft that he “will be the #1 pick in the 2018 draft, book it.” He’s had a poor season to say the least. He’s 6’5, can throw 80 yards & run a 4.6. He cannot play NFL QB right now. Complete project. Proj top 5 pick to rd 2.

Out of our range:

Josh Rosen - Looking like the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Sam Darnold - Projected top 5 pick if comes out.

Lamar Jackson - Projected top 15 pick. Doesn’t fit our system IMO & has accuracy concerns.

Players I don’t see with much of an NFL future:

Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, Jake Browning, etc.

———————————————

Mayfield really is the X factor for this year’s draft. He broke Russell Wilson’s passer rating record in a season last year & may break his own record again.

Mayfield is an intriguing one for me too, but I have no idea how the Pats feel about him.

He's a nutcase but I've been a huge fan for years. QB Thread coming ...

The more I look the more I like Riley Ferguson -Memphis and Clayton Thorson - NorthWestern

Ferguson has 398 yards passing & 6 touchdowns vs UCLA this season (video)

Thorson

I have been a huge fan & lurker of this draft forum for years, coming here on a yearly basis to get a sense of current stand before draft time. I have never followed college football that closely; I have primarily just kept up with Alabama and the SEC. I have always deeply respected the player analysis & projection stuff that you folks do.

This Jimmy trade was a major shocker to me. We just lost who I thought was our future franchise guy. It has also came at a time where I have coincidentally been watching a bit more college football.

So I think I am going to start watching college games with an eye toward these potential prospects. I will do my best to report anything I notice, and would love constructive criticism on any reports. This will be pretty new for me; I tend to think about football schematically, rather than focusing on the skills and potential of each player.

This Saturday I plan to flip back and forth between Clayton Thorson in Northwestern at Nebraska, and Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield in Oklahoma @ Oklahoma St.

I have been a huge fan & lurker of this draft forum for years, coming here on a yearly basis to get a sense of current stand before draft time. I have never followed college football that closely; I have primarily just kept up with Alabama and the SEC. I have always deeply respected the player analysis & projection stuff that you folks do.

This Jimmy trade was a major shocker to me. We just lost who I thought was our future franchise guy. It has also came at a time where I have coincidentally been watching a bit more college football.

So I think I am going to start watching college games with an eye toward these potential prospects. I will do my best to report anything I notice, and would love constructive criticism on any reports. This will be pretty new for me; I tend to think about football schematically, rather than focusing on the skills and potential of each player.

This Saturday I plan to flip back and forth between Clayton Thorson in Northwestern at Nebraska, and Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield in Oklahoma @ Oklahoma St.

Good to have you aboard! I think I can learn a lot from your breakdowns.

underdog coming out . might be an interesting follow
Garoppolo's body . Brady's chip

I am half-watching Riley Ferguson's performance vs. Tulsa at the moment. His first-half stat line has been pretty good, but somewhat misleading. He ran two minute offense before halftime, and had two really poor decisions:

1) On the first one he did not account for the saftey's deep zone, and threw a pick. This interception was nullified by an offsides call, which did not appear to have a huge impact on the play. Ferguson threw it from the pocket.

2) On the second bad throw he rolled out to his right after a play action and did not notice a linebacker in a underneath zone. It should have been a pick, but it was dropped.

So far I agree with WalterFootball's analysis:

"Ferguson needs to improve his field vision for the NFL. He consistently locks onto his primary read and stares him down."

I don't feel qualified to discuss his mechanics or arm talent; perhaps his draft grade is a function of these things. I also don't have a sense of how much field vision issues are expected in college prospects. Perhaps someone else has some insight on these things?

Fwiw Mason is the only QB that would check all of Parcells boxes.

1) 3 year starter

2) Senior

3) Graduate

4) Start 30, win 23

5) 2:1 TD/INT

6) Complete at least 60% of passes

1) 3 year starter

2) Senior

3) Graduate

4) Start 30, win 23

As an aside, Garoppolo met all of those criteria, albeit just barely for #4 (he won exactly 23 games, almost all of them in the last two years, but they were awful before Dino Babers took over).

1) 3 year starter

2) Senior

3) Graduate

4) Start 30, win 23

Rudolf is likely to go way before Pats can join the party.

I still think character/leadership (on & off field, mental/physical toughness) and size will be most important. Short passing game, sustaining long drives is cheaper and most effective.

Of course you need enough starting experience to assess those things..

I think my (realistic) favorites right now are Stidham and Mayfield. Maybe Falk.

It's mostly based on watching compiled videos of their games - and only their completions - so it's not an NFL level scouting effort I've put in.

I like Stidham best for now. Anybody who watches college ball who has a more informed opinion on him?

Anybody watch Bedlam? Defense optional, obviously. (24/36 for 598 yards?)

In any case, I have no idea what to make of Mayfield and Rudolph after that game; all I can say for sure is that OSU's penultimate possession—after the INT was overturned—was hot garbage.

Anybody watch Bedlam? Defense optional, obviously. (24/36 for 598 yards?)

In any case, I have no idea what to make of Mayfield and Rudolph after that game; all I can say for sure is that OSU's penultimate possession—after the INT was overturned—was hot garbage.

Rudolph seems like your classic system QB at Oklahoma State. Shaky accuracy, pocket presence & a lot of open WRs on go routes (Brandon Weeden & Zac Robinson anyone?)

I've been on the fence with Mayfield but he impressed me with his field vision & accuracy. The backfoot TDs showed off his arm strength too.

I made this document awhile back if anyone is interested. It's basically every QB drafted & their outcome in the last 20 years:

Zero franchise QBs in 20 years from the Big 12 conference (although RGIII & Bradford have had moments). That's Mayfield's biggest red flag and out of his control. I'm warming up to him backing up Brady though.

Mayfield’s ridiculous numbers came against a very athletically weak defense. Not sure we can give him full props for his performance this week.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back