PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Patriots Draft Contacts Thread

Plays on an earlier idea I had about scouting good positional groups together.

I remember when BB drafted Harmon, apparently way too high for people's interest, his reasoning was that every time they looked at tape of Ryan, Harmon was always in the right position. That stuff seems to matter to our staff, and should benefit some of the deeper positional groups out there for the secondary(Wash, Colo, fla, Bama, OhSt).

Usually the majority of those people have actually no clue who a player is but just consult some "experts" mock draft to judge - which is completely asinine. Can't wait for the overreactions this year :)

In terms of positional groups I think that BB's good relationship with Schiano also played a huge role in all of that. He trusted him and was never really let down in terms of drafted players from his program. The Rutgers players had a prototypical Patriots/BB mentality about the daily grind that can't be emphasized enough.

This is also why I am happy that Daboll went to Alabama and not to some other NFL team. Having people you can trust in college programs is huge.

Usually the majority of those people have actually no clue who a player is but just consult some "experts" mock draft to judge - which is completely asinine. Can't wait for the overreactions this year :)

In terms of positional groups I think that BB's good relationship with Schiano also played a huge role in all of that. He trusted him and was never really let down in terms of drafted players from his program. The Rutgers players had a prototypical Patriots/BB mentality about the daily grind that can't be emphasized enough.

This is also why I am happy that Daboll went to Alabama and not to some other NFL team. Having people you can trust in college programs is huge.

It's all about professional coaching. A lot of college players have very diffferent expectations placed upon them. It's why mocking Bama players will never be a bad strategy, because you know that BB will trust the training Saban has given to his guys.

I would imagine you will see similar coaching approval with Ohio State, Michigan, maybe even Washington and Houston (soon to be Texas).

Florida State’s Roderick Johnson (6-6, 308) is another highly-regarded tackle. He said he had an informal meeting set up with the Patriots Thursday evening but hadn’t spoken yet to any coaches. Johnson did say he’s been in contact with former FSU teammates Tre’ Jackson and the Patriots guard explained to him the grind of playing in New England.

Mock those 2nd/3rd round TEs.

Great news. One of my most consistently mocked.

I wonder where they see him? Currently falls to the bottom of 3rd. Meeting with Pats puts him up 30 spots immediately Id guess..;)

I tend to look at the position and value with these meetings rather than the player. Hodges and Leggett certainly suggests that they're considering a TE in that 2nd-3rd range. But not much more than that right now.

Tomorrows Tight Ends are going to be interesting to watch.

Very interesting and telling to me, although not really surprising. Tells me that they expect to lose Bennett, and they recognize the real value of his contributions as they were able to win the freaking Super Bowl without Gronk partly because of the great work of Bennett (also helped that we finally had decent outside options in Hogan and Mitchell; the last year they had that in 2014 they won the Super Bowl as well....). They all fit differently and from this board it sounds like Leggett and Butt might be the ones who most closely replicate Bennett (although I may be mistaken), but I'm sure they'd be able to work with all of these guys' various strengths.

Very interesting and telling to me, although not really surprising. Tells me that they expect to lose Bennett, and they recognize the real values of his contributions as they were able to win the freaking Super Bowl without Gronk partly because of the great work of Bennett (also helped that we finally had decent outside options in Hogan and Mitchell; the last year they had that in 2014 they won the Super Bowl as well....). They all fit differently and from this board it sounds like Leggett and Butt might be the ones who most closely replicate Bennett (although I may be mistaken), but I'm sure they'd be able to work with all of these guys' various strengths.

It's early yet but no information on meeting with any of the undersized TEs like Everett or Ingram.

Heh, interesting....

To @manxman2601's theory though, I wonder how the positions line up compared to the positions that were taken? In theory, to paraphrase Mike Lombardi, the interviews and such are really job interviews. Says that the Pats feel that there is opening at this position, interviewed this candidate but decided someone else was a better candidate.

EDIT: Well, here's an answer:

Last edited:
Heh, interesting....

To @manxman2601's theory though, I wonder how the positions line up compared to the positions that were taken? In theory, to paraphrase Mike Lombardi, the interviews and such are really job interviews. Says that the Pats feel that there is opening at this position, interviewed this candidate but decided someone else was a better candidate.

EDIT: Well, here's an answer:

He's missing the fact that Chandler Jones was a combine interview. It's also a bit of a straw man. Pre-draft contacts do have some value if you include them all. Obviously there isn't a direct corrolation between who we draft and combine interviews because it precedes free agency. After all, who did we sign last year? Chris Long. No-one should be arguing it's a full puzzle, it's a useful part of the puzzle, nothing more.

NJoku on this offense would be rediculous .

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back