PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Patriots Draft Contacts Thread

He's an interesting move TE, but he's going to have to find the right fit.
i think he's more than a move TE. It might take a year but I can see him playing inline.

i think he's more than a move TE. It might take a year but I can see him playing inline.

Eventually, but coaching will be really important for him.

I also don't see him adding a ton of size, so it's going to have to be technique for him.

Eventually, but coaching will be really important for him.

I also don't see him adding a ton of size, so it's going to have to be technique for him.

As long as opposing defenses recognise that he is a threat to add as a blocker in the run game, that's all that's needed. Make them keep a box defender in the game rather than sticking a pass defender on him. That's why AHern was so useful. Wasn't an every down inline blocker but had to respected as such.

As long as opposing defenses recognise that he is a threat to add as a blocker in the run game, that's all that's needed. Make them keep a box defender in the game rather than sticking a pass defender on him. That's why AHern was so useful. Wasn't an every down inline blocker but had to respected as such.

Yep, exactly. Much is made between the Engram being Ahern 2.0, but really I see Njoku as a closer parallel. Ahern ended up being a much better blocker than given credit for coming out, enough to keep defenses honest.

I imagine Njoku will be more explosive, less agile Ahern. Great chess piece to have, but an expensive one given where he's going to go.

Yep, exactly. Much is made between the Engram being Ahern 2.0, but really I see Njoku as a closer parallel. Ahern ended up being a much better blocker than given credit for coming out, enough to keep defenses honest.

I imagine Njoku will be more explosive, less agile Ahern. Great chess piece to have, but an expensive one given where he's going to go.

No more expensive than a Taco Charlton. I know you disagree but I think I'd rather a Njoku-Basham option than a Charlton-Leggett one (with the caveat that I've yet to do Leggett. I just doubt he has the upside of Njoku).

No more expensive than a Taco Charlton. I know you disagree but I think I'd rather a Njoku-Basham option than a Charlton-Leggett one (with the caveat that I've yet to do Leggett. I just doubt he has the upside of Njoku).

These are the fascinating draft questions that never get old. Where does the greater value lie? I think it's fair to say that if we end up with 12, this is the type of conversation taking place. Is the difference in value between Taco and Basham greater than or less than the difference between Njokue and Leggett?

But, what if it's Solomon Thomas available at 12? Or Hooker?

This is what makes me a draft addict. Flip a coin, and the whole board turns upside down.

These are the fascinating draft questions that never get old. Where does the greater value lie? I think it's fair to say that if we end up with 12, this is the type of conversation taking place. Is the difference in value between Taco and Basham greater than or less than the difference between Njokue and Leggett?

But, what if it's Solomon Thomas available at 12? Or Hooker?

This is what makes me a draft addict. Flip a coin, and the whole board turns upside down.

It would make a nice change to be picking that high and to have that discussion.

Let's say we do get Cleveland's first and second round picks. Key needs are pass rusher, TE, LB (or safety if HT comes back), CB. That's four key needs that can be filled in the first two rounds. Choosing whom and in which order would be a fun debate.

It would make a nice change to be picking that high and to have that discussion.

Let's say we do get Cleveland's first and second round picks. Key needs are pass rusher, TE, LB (or safety if HT comes back), CB. That's four key needs that can be filled in the first two rounds. Choosing whom and in which order would be a fun debate.

After the combine and hopefully after a JimmyG trade, I will work on a grouping thread. 2-3 guys from each positional need, and allow for a choose your own adventure draft outcome.

After the combine and hopefully after a JimmyG trade, I will work on a grouping thread. 2-3 guys from each positional need, and allow for a choose your own adventure draft outcome.

Good idea.

I thought (still do) Stewart is one of the more serious options if Pats go WR.
Id be surprised if they take WR before one of the 3rd rounders. Stewart could very well still be there.

(although couple of CBS mocksters have Kupp for Pats at #32 so what does anybody know..)

Id be surprised they take WR before one of the 3rd rounders. Stewart could very well still be there.

(although couple of CBS mocksters have Kupp for Pats at #32 so what does anybody know..)
I like Kupp a lot but we don't need to draft another Chris Hogan at 32.
Should be a TE, DE,DT, or LB at that spot

I like Kupp a lot but we don't need to draft another Chris Hogan at 32.
Should be a TE, DE,DT, or LB at that spot

I mean, Hogan is a high 4.3s, 4.4 guy, Kupp isn't even close to that range.

Stewart is an interesting piece because of how versatile he is and the different ways you can use him as a chess piece.

Id be surprised if they take WR before one of the 3rd rounders. Stewart could very well still be there.

Yup. I had Stewart as a Patriots type WR.

If for some reason we can bait Cleveland into giving up 12, 33 and 52 then I certainly hope BB finds a way to trade one of our first 4 picks into a 2018 first rounder. Keep the flexible pipeline going for a bit.

I said it before I'd almost prefer 33, 52 and Cleveland's 2018 first round pick to most other scenarios. It removes those early pick dilemmas (pick at 12 vs. trading down), gives us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and sets up flexibility for next year.

But yeah.. trading Cleveland would create a ****ton of discussion material while we sit and wait for the draft to actually take place.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back