PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Patriots Draft Contacts Thread

Yeah, if I were the GM, and we traded with the Browns or another team in the teens for a QB, then I'd strongly consider Melifonwu. He might not work out, but if he does, then he could open up so many options on defense.

He'll probably be at the top of my final big board just because of the athleticism and interest but wouldn't be my preference. Would rather have Josh Jones to be honest.

Although I'm far from convinced he's the best player in this draft, or even the best safety of 2017, I can't shake the idea that he's the rare, transcendent talent who with proper training and development could legitimately play every off the ball position in a defense -- every LB positions, either safety, press-corner, slot, pass-rusher, etc. He might rotate through them all throughout the course of a game, depending on matchups, providing the ultimate defensive weapon. Other players have done similar things (we deploy Chung like that to some degree), but none of them have his special combination of size, speed, coverage ability, and incredible explosiveness. It's incredibly intriguing to imagine Belichick deploying him all over the field.

I just hope he's more coachable than Darius Butler was.

Yeah, never could quite figure how he didn't work out here. Good athlete. Seemed like he had the requisite skillset. He's been a mainstay in Indy, even if he's not a star player. I guess that's a successful 2nd round pick in terms of longevity in the league, but it didn't pay off for us.

By the way, after all this time I only now noticed that it says Patrots in the title instead of Patriots.

By the way, after all this time I only now noticed that it says Patrots in the title instead of Patriots.

Huh. I started the thread and hadn't noticed either. Thanks.

I know it's unfair to Melifonwu, but I've had an irrational "once bitten, twice shy" attitude toward UConn DBs who put up great testing numbers ever since Butler.

More hints at a Butler trade?

Maybe.

OTOH, it's hard to find a year in which BB hasn't added 3-5 DBs to the off-season roster during draft weekend, nearly always spending at least one pick, and ofen two picks, in addition to signing 2-3 UDFA.

They've had a couple seasons now to evaluate Coleman, King and Richards for developmental upside, and a year with Jon Jones. King and Jones appear to be solid, high-use special teamers, but they haven't seen many defensive snaps (King had zero in 2016). Both are probably on the bubble by default.

Coleman appears to be an "okay" backup, but one who could be upgraded. He also lost significant defensive snaps almost immediately after the Pats acquired Rowe in mid-season, which could be a sign that they don't see Coleman ever becoming a starter. Coleman also didn't contribute much on special teams (only 65 total snaps in 2016). So, he could be vulnerable to Camp competition from a rookie. OTOH, he's had enough game exposure that there may be a slim chance that the Pats could get a 7th for him at some point, perhaps during Camp.

I don't know what to make of Richards. He didn't see very many defensive snaps last season, or all that many ST snaps, either. Going into year-3 of his 4-year rookie contract, I'd have to guess that he's vulnerable to being cut in Camp unless he shows a significant developmental leap this summer, either defensively or as a special-teamer.

Anyway, I don't know that the Pats have had an unusually high number (for them) of contacts and/or PWs with DBs this year compared to previous years. It could be that these interactions merely seem more significant this time around because of the Butler situation.

It's entirely possible that Butler gets traded, still. Might happen between now and the draft or on the first night of. But it might still even happen shortly AFTER the draft, if BB "gets his guy" who he thinks could quickly replace Butler.

It also could be that BB is merely keeping the developmental pipeline full in case Butler plays out his tender and walks in 2018.

I know it's unfair to Melifonwu, but I've had an irrational "once bitten, twice shy" attitude toward UConn DBs who put up great testing numbers ever since Butler.

Byron Jones is doing well in Dallas, fwiw.

Just wanted to say that I'm truly grateful for this thread and for everyone's contributions and the periodic consolidations. It's been really helpful in terms of providing clues as to which prospects to spend my limited time on.

Byron Jones is doing well in Dallas, fwiw.

And ill be honest after seeing how byron jones destroyed the combine i was even more skeptical about drafting him and didnt think he was worth our first pick. I was completely wrong lol. But i cant help but to think the same way about melifonwu. When you see his combine numbers and then look at tape it just doesn't show up. I dont know if its something that can be coached up or not.

And ill be honest after seeing how byron jones destroyed the combine i was even more skeptical about drafting him and didnt think he was worth our first pick. I was completely wrong lol. But i cant help but to think the same way about melifonwu. When you see his combine numbers and then look at tape it just doesn't show up. I dont know if its something that can be coached up or not.

No, I'm right there with you about Melifonwu. I liked Jones a lot better as a player. The thing that's intriguing about him, though, is that he is actually very good in press-man coverage, which is exceedingly rare for guys that big. He could literally be as good as he wants to be -- there's no limit on what he's capable of achieving with good coaching and hard work. Sometimes those guys are worth the risk.

Anyway, I don't know that the Pats have had an unusually high number (for them) of contacts and/or PWs with DBs this year compared to previous years. It could be that these interactions merely seem more significant this time around because of the Butler situation

It's more the combination of the Butler signing, the Ramczyk/Melifonwu meetings and now this late visit meetings with CBs. Put all those things together and that signals a trade is, perhaps, more likely than not.

It's more the combination of the Butler signing, the Ramczyk/Melifonwu meetings and now this late visit meetings with CBs. Put all those things together and that signals a trade is, perhaps, more likely than not.

Of course, as soon as enough people are convinced of that, the Pats will announce that Butler has agreed to an extension.

It sometimes feels like the Pats' brain trust is Lucy and we're all Charlie Brown.

Of course, as soon as enough people are convinced of that, the Pats will announce that Butler has agreed to an extension.

It sometimes feels like the Pats' brain trust is Lucy and we're all Charlie Brown.

Yup. Wouldn't put anything past them. Perhaps we should all get together to put trade vibes out there just to ensure Butler does sign long term. I'd take that over Melifonwu any day.

Langi gets more interesting particularly as the Texans reportedly like him too.

Brigham Young University linebacker Harvey Langi has drawn a lot of interest from the Texans, according to a source not authorized to speak publicly.

Langi has visited the New England Patriots

BYU linebacker Harvey Langi catches Texans' eye

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back