PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NBA Draft.....PGs galore.....a C's dilemma

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It's January 9th, 2017 and the Brooklyn Nets are the league's bottom feeder approaching the midpoint of the season. Of course, other cellar dwellers will likely start shedding quality players to gain lottery position ...but the C's lottery position hasn't looked this good in years.
But wouldn't you know, the year the C's have the best chance to strike lottery gold....the NBA draft is top heavy at the one position Boston has a guaranteed All-Star........point guard.
Mock drafts are predicting PGs come off the board with picks 1-4.
1) Fultz 6-4 PG Washington
2) Ball 6-6 PG UCLA
3) Smith 6-2 PG Miami
4) Ntilikina 6-5 PG France

So what do you do if you are Trader Danny? Isaiah Thomas is a regular season scoring machine who becomes an undersized liability come playoff time (my opinion). Thomas is must see TV during the cold winter months and I love watching the guy take on the world with his little man chip on his shoulders.....but is he the PG to elevate the Celtics to the NBA Finals?

Unless a big man makes a quantum leap forward in the next few months, Ainge could be faced with huge dilemmas? Draft an elite PG to battle for minutes with Thomas? Providence College's PG Dunn was letting the Celtics know he wasn't keen on that proposition last year and I would expect similar push back from this draft's PGs. Will Ainge decide Thomas is his long term solution and pay him the max dollars half the league would likely pay for regular season box office gold?

If he keeps Isaiah, does he trade off the Brooklyn pick for a semi-star who was incapable of elevating the team he was traded from? Does he keep stock piling talent....like Philly? Boston will have all the guards / Philly has all the big men. Will Ainge trade down with a PG desperate team in hopes of grabbing a solid piece now and more future draft picks?

Any way you look at it.....it's complicated and full of risk......and with Thomas and Bradley approaching contract extensions...it could become very expensive.....and not be the right solution.

No player on a team that will likely be considering a sell-off at the trade deadline will be worthy of the Crooklyn pick, which should have its maximum value peak during draft night.
I would first be more than willing to trade any or all of Olynyk, Jerebko, Green, Rozier and our own 1st in exchange for a rotational-caliber C/PF and/or a SG/SF by the deadline;
I would then wait until the draft before considering any trades involving the Crooklyn pick.

No player on a team that will likely be considering a sell-off at the trade deadline will be worthy of the Crooklyn pick, which should have its maximum value peak during draft night.
I would first be more than willing to trade any or all of Olynyk, Jerebko, Green, Rozier and our own 1st in exchange for a rotational-caliber C/PF and/or a SG/SF by the deadline;
I would then wait until the draft before considering any trades involving the Crooklyn pick.
the celtics don't have their first rd pick and the nets. they have the right to swap first rd picks only.

My mistake; thanks. Is it 2018 then we have NJ's first as well as our own?

The enigma that is Isaiah Thomas reappeared in the 4th quarter last night. Quality teams have shown they can smother IT when he takes it inside....and post him up on the other end. Thomas' skills are good enough to beat most teams....but not the best teams.
This is quite the dilemma for Ainge.....
Maxing out a player that can take you only so far?
Trading off the one player capable of carrying your team?
Drafting a PG stud to replace IT causing a step backwards for team success?
Drafting a PG stud and keeping IT......creating more tradeable chips but not improving frontline?

It's January 9th, 2017 and the Brooklyn Nets are the league's bottom feeder approaching the midpoint of the season. Of course, other cellar dwellers will likely start shedding quality players to gain lottery position ...but the C's lottery position hasn't looked this good in years.
But wouldn't you know, the year the C's have the best chance to strike lottery gold....the NBA draft is top heavy at the one position Boston has a guaranteed All-Star........point guard.
Mock drafts are predicting PGs come off the board with picks 1-4.
1) Fultz 6-4 PG Washington
2) Ball 6-6 PG UCLA
3) Smith 6-2 PG Miami
4) Ntilikina 6-5 PG France

So what do you do if you are Trader Danny? Isaiah Thomas is a regular season scoring machine who becomes an undersized liability come playoff time (my opinion). Thomas is must see TV during the cold winter months and I love watching the guy take on the world with his little man chip on his shoulders.....but is he the PG to elevate the Celtics to the NBA Finals?

Unless a big man makes a quantum leap forward in the next few months, Ainge could be faced with huge dilemmas? Draft an elite PG to battle for minutes with Thomas? Providence College's PG Dunn was letting the Celtics know he wasn't keen on that proposition last year and I would expect similar push back from this draft's PGs. Will Ainge decide Thomas is his long term solution and pay him the max dollars half the league would likely pay for regular season box office gold?

If he keeps Isaiah, does he trade off the Brooklyn pick for a semi-star who was incapable of elevating the team he was traded from? Does he keep stock piling talent....like Philly? Boston will have all the guards / Philly has all the big men. Will Ainge trade down with a PG desperate team in hopes of grabbing a solid piece now and more future draft picks?

Any way you look at it.....it's complicated and full of risk......and with Thomas and Bradley approaching contract extensions...it could become very expensive.....and not be the right solution.
Fultz is a combo guard so he could fit in pretty well. Giles, if he can pass a physical, is exactly what they need.

Fultz/Ball can play SG with It and be a fallback as PG ,if we dont max iT later. There are 2 or 3 Bigs at top of 2018 draft.Drafting one of them would cover the end of Horford contract

Fultz/Ball can play SG with It and be a fallback as PG ,if we dont max iT later. There are 2 or 3 Bigs at top of 2018 draft.Drafting one of them would cover the end of Horford contract
Plus, Zivic is doing very well in Euro play, being coached by David Blatt the way Stevens wants him coached and is likely to, at the least, add some valuable rebound muscle off the bench next year.

good Lord...Josh Jackson from Kansas has me thinking. So athletic.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back