PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Patriots Tougher Than 2007 Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradyking12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
'16 Patriots came back after being down 25 in an unbelievable frame of time starting towards the end of the 3rd quarter we start running the table, meanwhile the 2007 squad had trouble just putting up a second 7 late in the 4th, switch teams and '16 Patriots beat Giants and Falcons beat '07 Patriots imo feel like the level of mental toughness was different towards the end when comparing both teams but we are closer than ever to achieving a 19-0 season more than ever with the power house of a unit we have going into the 2017 season.

Yes. 2016 > 2007.

The counter-argument will be "the best team doesn't always win the big game. My argument is : since the only thing that matters is winning the big one, the team that gets the job done is tougher.

other differences:

-way better health in 2016
-more distractions in 2007 (Tomase's walk-through BS, making "history")
-relied more on older defensive veterans in 2007, which may have affected late-game stamina
-O more reliant on Moss in 2007, who maybe wore down at least a little

Yes. 2016 > 2007.

The counter-argument will be "the best team doesn't always win the big game. My argument is : since the only thing that matters is winning the big one, the team that gets the job done is tougher.

Yea at end of the day a 2016 banner will be hung along with 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, with 2007 nowhere to be found and won't be up there 20yrs from now only stories of how they almost did it but plenty of stories (Possibly more to come) of how other teams were able to, oh and I wouldn't write off the possibility of us going 19-0 especially this season talk about a unit :D

other differences:

-way better health in 2016
-more distractions in 2007 (Tomase's walk-through BS, making "history")
-relied more on older defensive veterans in 2007, which may have affected late-game stamina
-O more reliant on Moss in 2007, who maybe wore down at least a little

'07 defense did their job, they held the Giants to 10 points almost the whole game, our offense should of been up to par can't blame the defense despite the tyree catch that game would of been a blowout had our offense would of performed up to standard's

The 2007 Pats remind me of last year's Warriors team. They dominated early at unprecedented levels, teams slowly caught up to them, and they put a lot of effort into a regular season record. By the playoffs, they were tired and were playing not to lose rather than to win. The 2016 team didn't feel that burden.

The 16-0 regular season took its toll. Still, stupidly, I have a tiny bit of hope for a 19-0 record next season especially with all the talent they have added. Some people never learn.

I don't care about 19-0. 2007 soured me on that. I want a banner. As many banners as possible. Real, Patriots banners (not those millenials participation crap things in Indy).

I do not buy it. If the Falcons did not have a brain freeze and just ran it 3 times then kicked a FG after the Jones catch the entire narrative would very likely be different. The 2007 SB team saw Neal go out very early and was unable to protect Brady. The team clearly had peaked too early but they showed major fortitude when they scored the go ahead TD with 2 and a half minutes to go. One or 2 plays go our way on the final Giants drive and the 2007 team would be considered the greatest of all time. Of course, a Championship is the ultimate goal so they are at best 6th in Pats hierarchy.

Put Hightower on the '07 defense Eli doesn't escape the pocket and probably gets sacked on fourth down somepoint during that drive by BoomTower

Meh I think we criticize the 07 team too much

What they did that season was unprecedented and if Tyree doesn't catch the prayer, they are arguably the greatest team of all time.
If*

This thread is ********.

Spygate. Undefeated season. Arlen Spector. A-hole Tomase. The pressure was incredible.

Brady.Wilfork. Bruschi. Rodney, Seau. Seymour. Vrable. Light. Koppen. Welker. Moss. Neal. Faulk. That team had mental toughness to burn.

The 07 team was 18-0, injured, down 10-7 in the 4th qtr and TB12 and Moss got them to 14-10 with under 3min to go. You don't do that without mental toughness.

The luckiest catch of all time is what did that team in. Not a lack of mental toughness

Last edited:
Also, our '07 O-Line was VERY banged up in the SB. Can't protect Brady, there goes the offense. Simple.

Last edited:
Yea at end of the day a 2016 banner will be hung along with 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, with 2007 nowhere to be found and won't be up there 20yrs from now only stories of how they almost did it but plenty of stories (Possibly more to come) of how other teams were able to, oh and I wouldn't write off the possibility of us going 19-0 especially this season talk about a unit :D
this is a little bit silly. It is a fact that the best team in the NFL does not always win the Super Bowl. In 16 we were the best team and we won it. In 2001 we were not the best team in the NFL and we won. In 2007 we were the best team in the NFL easily and one of the best teams in NFL history, and we LOST the Super Bowl in a mostly fluky way. 2007 team was not only the best team in the 2007 Season of the NFL but is easily one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the history of the NFL.

I don't care about 19-0. 2007 soured me on that. I want a banner. As many banners as possible. Real, Patriots banners (not those millenials participation crap things in Indy).
16-0 Banner should never have gone up, but once it went up it should never have been taken down.

This thread is ********.

Spygate. Undefeated season. Arlen Spector. A-hole Tomase. The pressure was incredible.

Brady.Wilfork. Bruschi. Seau. Seymour. Vrable. Light. Koppen. Welker. Moss. Neal. Faulk. That team had mental toughness to burn.

The 07 team was 18-0, injured, down 10-7 in the 4th qtr and TB12 and Moss got them to 14-10 with under 3min to go. You don't do that without mental toughness.

The luckiest catch of all time is what did that team in. Not a lack of mental toughness
2007 Pats were the best team in the history of the Patriots with the possible exception of 2004.

Its funny you should say this. I hated getting those trophies. I thought they were so dumb. Only trophies I kept were championship trophies. and One second place one because in that particular tournament I performed the best I ever did

'16 Patriots came back after being down 25 in an unbelievable frame of time starting towards the end of the 3rd quarter we start running the table, meanwhile the 2007 squad had trouble just putting up a second 7 late in the 4th, switch teams and '16 Patriots beat Giants and Falcons beat '07 Patriots imo feel like the level of mental toughness was different towards the end when comparing both teams but we are closer than ever to achieving a 19-0 season more than ever with the power house of a unit we have going into the 2017 season.
2007 Pats easily better than 2016 team.

2007 Pats were the best team in the history of the Patriots with the possible exception of 2004.
I just don't agree re 2007. They didn't win. Yes, the last game counts more. And, truthfully, starting with the (almost as lucky as the Tyree catch) win vs Baltimore, there were plenty of close calls : NYG in game 16, an uninspiring win against a limping SD team in the AFCCG...

In 2003 & 2004, NE was steaming forward from Thanksgiving onward. The 2007 was plowing before Halloween.

The 2007 was excellent. But the D was getting older. I know they held a very flawed NYG O to very few points, but still...

Using the Tyree catch as "the reason" skims over all the offensive problems that plagued NE that game until Moss late. I wish they'd have won. Obviously. But they didn't. Give me 03-04.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back