PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 Draft Prospect Thread

Garoppolo must have been thrilled with that first one. . . . ;)

Not to pick any nits, but that one was actually this season so at least The G Man didn't have to see it in person.

An offensive lineman to replace Logan Mankins just vaulted as the top priority for the New England Patriots in the 2015 NFL Draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT
I looked at the tape of Tre' Jackson from the Oklahoma state game as he was one of the top ranked OGs on that list. I wasn't impressed with him. He looked slow. Had a hard time getting to the second level when the LBs flowed on outside plays. He held his ground a couple of times when the DL tried to spin. But on power rushed he got pushed back on some plays. He's a big guy. But he doesn't really get that push that I'd like to see from someone his size to make up from his lack of speed. Will have to see some more of him though. Might just have been a downgame. But looking at him, and his numbers, some weight loss wouldn't be that bad as lack of speed will be an even bigger problem in the NFL.

I looked at the tape of Tre' Jackson from the Oklahoma state game as he was one of the top ranked OGs on that list. I wasn't impressed with him. He looked slow. Had a hard time getting to the second level when the LBs flowed on outside plays. He held his ground a couple of times when the DL tried to spin. But on power rushed he got pushed back on some plays. He's a big guy. But he doesn't really get that push that I'd like to see from someone his size to make up from his lack of speed. Will have to see some more of him though. Might just have been a downgame. But looking at him, and his numbers, some weight loss wouldn't be that bad as lack of speed will be an even bigger problem in the NFL.

Jackson's just a big road grader who overpowers people at the college level. I'm much more interested in his teammate Josue Matias, whom Manx has mentioned. Take a look at the LG on the same tape and see what you think. He's sort of a poor man's Mike Iupati - 6'6" 330#, but fairly nimble for his size.

Jackson's just a big road grader who overpowers people at the college level. I'm much more interested in his teammate Josue Matias, whom Manx has mentioned. Take a look at the LG on the same tape and see what you think. He's sort of a poor man's Mike Iupati - 6'6" 330#, but fairly nimble for his size.
Yeah I like Matias more. More mobile than Jackson. I like his hand placement on run blocks. Gets a good grip of the center of the pads and locks up the defender. He did a good job at holding his ground on pass plays. Didn't get pushed back to often and met up blitzers good in pass pro.

Conversely, there's this:

The scoop: An NFC scout coming off a recent visit to UCLA says sophomore LB/RBMyles Jack is "the best player in the Pac-12." The evaluator raved about Jack's instincts, aggressiveness and toughness. When the scout was reminded about bigger-name stars in the conference, he didn't back off his claim and even suggested Jack could be a first-round pick on either side of the ball.

The skinny: That's quite a statement about a player in a conference that boasts quarterbacks Marcus Mariota and Brett Hundley, DL Leonard Williams and OT Andrus Peat. But it speaks to Jack's rising stock as a two-way player, even though UCLA coach Jim Mora seems committed to playing the reigning Pac-12 defensive and offensive freshman of the year almost exclusively at linebacker (he didn't have a carry in UCLA's opening-game victory over Virginia).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000389066/article/sources-tell-us-what-were-hearing-about-nfl-prospects

I'm not questioning Oakman's ability but SMU's LT might just be the worst LT in the history of LTs
Agreed. I was really impressed with Oakman. He was quick off the line, used several different pass rush moves with sucess. He was also quick in reading screens. Didn't get fooled away on those. But that LT was absolutely horrible. Way to slow first step, so he was often beaten there already.

I think Oakman can be a high pick. He's big, fast, and strong. But will need to see how he handles LTs that can actually keep up with his athletisism. Or you know, just against an LT that can actually block someone. But so far I'm really intrigued by Oakman. Was a force both inside and outside the tackle.

Last edited:
I think Oakman can be a high pick. He's big, fast, and strong. But we'll need to see how he handles LTs that can actually keep up with his athleticism. Or you know, just against an LT that can actually block someone. But so far I'm really intrigued by Oakman. Was a force both inside and outside the tackle.

Oakman also stood up at times, FWIW, and seemed reasonably comfortable doing so.

I agree with the comments about SMU's LT. But ideally, I'd plug Oakman in at LDE and match him up against slow, less athletic right tackles, and kick him inside at times. It's rare to see a guy with his size and burst, and I think the combination would be hard for RTs to handle. A line of Oakman-Wilfork-Easley-Jones would be very, very sweet (though I suspect Oakman will end up a top 15 pick and be out of reach).

No. True sophomore. I didn't mean to imply that he was, and apologize if I gave that impression.

That's OK. I thought we'd have heard more if he was.

Just watched the tape of Todd Gurley. He looks real good. Good combination of speed and power. Can run through tackles or just outrun the defender. Good vision. Liked that he wasn't afraid to turn upfield as soon as an opportunity existed on outside tosses.

Very impressive RB.

Just watched the tape of Todd Gurley. He looks real good. Good combination of speed and power. Can run through tackles or just outrun the defender. Good vision. Liked that he wasn't afraid to turn upfield as soon as an opportunity existed on outside tosses.

Very impressive RB.

I like him, reminds me of a faster and more nifty version of Blount.

He's not eligible until 2016, but Ziggy Ansah, meet Manny Ogbah:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/emmanuel-ogbah-s-breakout-performance-was-a-matter-of-time/article_2156a014-2d25-5e64-819d-575306a6f30e.html
http://www.ocolly.com/sports/article_c7011570-32d5-11e4-b555-001a4bcf6878.html

6'4" 270# as a sophomore. Like Ansah, from Nigeria. In his first game as a starter, Ogbah had 6 tackles, 2 sacks (a 3rd nullified by penalties), 2 TFL and 2 passes defended against a very good FSU OL, with one nearly an interception.

Someone to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
He's not eligible until 2016, but Ziggy Ansah, meet Manny Ogbah:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osusportsextra/emmanuel-ogbah-s-breakout-performance-was-a-matter-of-time/article_2156a014-2d25-5e64-819d-575306a6f30e.html
http://www.ocolly.com/sports/article_c7011570-32d5-11e4-b555-001a4bcf6878.html

6'4" 270# as a sophomore. Like Ansah, from Nigeria. In his first game as a starter, Ogbah had 6 tackles, 2 sacks (a 3rd nullified by penalties), 2 TFL and 2 passes defended against a very good FSU OL, with one nearly an interception.

Someone to keep an eye on.

I'm sure you don't mind the correction but Ziggy was from Ghana, not Nigeria.

I love that Ogbah learnt positional skills by watching YouTube. You see Bill, Myface does serve a purpose.

With the thought that this could be Wilfork's last year in New England, I watched DT Carl Davis of Iowa yesterday. No pass rush, but he can play the run really well.

It's official, the New England Patriots are in dire need of defensive tackles and offensive guards.

Vince Wilfork - 33 years old on November 4, 2014
Sealver Siliga - severely overrated
Chris Jones - severely overrated
Joe Vellano - worthless

Dan Connolly - unrestricted free agent
Marcus Cannon - unrestricted free agent
Jordan Devey - severely overrated
Ryan Wendell - worthless

Last edited:
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2015stock_02.php

Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
Shelton was on here a week ago for a huge game against Hawaii with two sacks and a ton of tackles. Well, he took his game to another level against Eastern Washington with four sacks, 4.5 tackles for a loss and eight solo tackles. Across two games this season, Shelton has been a man on fire. He's totaled 12 tackles with six sacks and 7.5 tackles for a loss. Shelton is overwhelming blockers with his size and quickness. The 6-foot-2, 339-pound looks like a great fit as a nose tackle for a 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

After watching our o-line's disastrous performance on Sunday, I think we forum member need to collect and pool our various resources and talents to come up with a foolproof scheme to get Brandon Scherff's draft stock to plummet down to our pick. Falsifying medical reports; spreading false rumors; heck, send him out barhopping with Dennard before draft day. Yeah, it's mean and nasty, but I'm not above doing any of it to repair this sieve of an offensive line.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back