• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarozzor

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Which team do you think was better?

2014 was a great team that got hot at the right time. 2016 was straight up dominant, only losing with an injured third string rookie at QB and at the last second against SEA.
Loved both teams. Was (I thought at the time) a rejuvinated D with young and skill at important spots. I'd have to agree here and say 2016, if pressed.

2014 for the simple reason that Gronkowski was healthy and in his prime. As amazing and efficient the 2016 team was on offense, I'm not sure they hang 28 on that 2014 Seahwks defense. Defensively, the 2016 was better overall (number one ranked scoring defense), although player for player the 2014 defense had more talented individual players and didn't allow a fourth quarter TD for something like the last ten games including postseason.

Very close, but I'll take the team with Gronk.

I chose 2014. The comeback against the Falcons was unbelievable, but that team had to put themselves in a 28-3 hole in the first place. I also think that stretch of tough offenses that the 2014 team had to contend with (and dominate for the most part) really fortified their confidence. I also think the 2014 Seahawks were a better team than the 2016 Falcons (certainly defensively).

Man, both teams were great though. Both really fun years.

I chose 2014 same reason as a fellow poster above. They had a healthy Gronk and Edelman for the playoff run. The defense had players too Chandler Jones, faster Hightower, Collins(before his drop off), Revis, Browner, younger McCourty etc

I chose 2014. The comeback against the Falcons was unbelievable, but that team had to put themselves in a 28-3 hole in the first place. I also think that stretch of tough offenses that the 2014 team had to contend with (and dominate for the most part) really fortified their confidence. I also think the 2014 Seahawks were a better team than the 2016 Falcons (certainly defensively).

Man, both teams were great though. Both really fun years.

Agree on a slight edge to 2014 however using 28-3 to justify 2014 being a better when the 2014 Divisional game vs BAL in which they came back from two 14 point deficits is equally crappy. That rationale doesn't add up.

2016 had more talent offensively by a smidge but 2014 was better defensively.

2016 Pats were 14-2

2014 Pats were 12-4

Not only that the 2016 was way better defensively, only giving up 250 points.

Agree on a slight edge to 2014 however using 28-3 to justify 2014 being a better when the 2014 Divisional game vs BAL in which they came back from two 14 point deficits is equally crappy. That rationale doesn't add up.

2016 had more talent offensively by a smidge but 2014 was better defensively.

28-3 wasn't to justify 2014 over 2016 per se, but more to say I don't count the comeback as a huge bonus to the 2016 team. I wouldn't use the 10 point comeback against Seattle either for the same reason.

This is one of those choices that I don't think you can go wrong with. I think the 2014 team beats the 2016 team, at least the two rosters that played in the Super Bowl. Put a healthy Gronk on the 2016 team and I'd probably go the other way.

How lucky are we to even be having this debate? :)

The 2014 team had more major strengths like a healthy Gronk, a more loaded LB core, and of course the secondary.

That being said, 2016 was way more of a balanced out squad. Better O-line, better running game, better WR’s, better depth at pass rusher. But still remained solid at the positions mentioned above with the 2014 team.

So I think I’d actually have to go with the 2016 squad as a whole.

Both teams authored incredible comebacks to win their respective Superbowl.

28-3 wasn't to justify 2014 over 2016 per se, but more to say I don't count the comeback as a huge bonus to the 2016 team. I wouldn't use the 10 point comeback against Seattle either for the same reason.

This is one of those choices that I don't think you can go wrong with. I think the 2014 team beats the 2016 team, at least the two rosters that played in the Super Bowl. Put a healthy Gronk on the 2016 team and I'd probably go the other way.

How lucky are we to even be having this debate? :)
Agree

...and embarrassment of riches.

Lets hope we can have a debate of the 2018 Red Sox v the 2004 edition.

2014 Patriots, 2016 Patriots: Which team do you think was better?

ap-edelman-kraft-super-bowl-trophies-1504834860.jpg

Don't make me choose between my children. :)

2014...better players on defense, and they beat Baltimore en route to the title. Plus, Seattle was a better team than Atlanta...

2016...that was a magical year. Brady's suspension....Garopollo looking good before he got knocked out...Brissett managing to beat the Texans...then we throw a game away vs. the Bills when Brissett couldn't even throw the ball. Then Brady comes back against the Browns...you could feel it, baby!

Then of course...28-3....and booing Goodell in Houston.

Now...I might be a bit biased....as I was at that game :).

2014 was better

Defensively;”: Wilfork still playing well, Revis was still playing at his high shut down level, Browner did what was needed, Hightower was still peaking, Collins and Jones also added a ton of pressure.

Defensively it’s not close. We were a legit top defense and Seattle was the only team we were even close to being worse on defense than. This was a stacked unit.

Offensively: Gronk was healthy unlike in 2016. Lafell had a decent year as well. We also still had Shane Vereen. Now I might argue Hogan and Lewis were better additions, but honestly they don’t make up for Gronk not being on the field.

2014 was superior

2014 Pats were much better imo; I'm really surprised so many people are choosing 2016.

A big reason why is because I really think NFL defenses got much worse after/around the 2015 season. No defense in 2016 (or 2017, or now) was as dominant on D as Seattle, Denver, San Fran, or Balt were in the early 2010s. In 2014, Pats D was right up there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back