PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

I'm kind of wary looking a year ahead. Drafts always look much better a year out because you expect guys to take that leap and base them purely off potential. In reality a lot of guys don't live up to the expectations and most years people think the class is mediocre come draft time. There does look to be some good talent and its hard not to get excited about Jadeveon Clowney.

Party pooper :p

I'm already planning draft day +1

This is an interesting prospect rating and certainly different than most others I've seen.

Y! SPORTS

Nowhere have I seen Nassib this high and players like Mingo this low. Patton at 14 is eye opening as well.

EDIT: ALEX OKAFOR 195, WOW.

This is an interesting prospect rating and certainly different than most others I've seen.

Y! SPORTS

Nowhere have I seen Nassib this high and players like Mingo this low. Patton at 14 is eye opening as well.

EDIT: ALEX OKAFOR 195, WOW.

Never liked Russ Lande's rankings. But you've put it in the wrong thread FWIW, this is the 2014 thread. Easy mistake to be made.

Yep my bad.

Trade up for Terry Bridgewater.

I wouldn't mind Teddy. He had a fine command of his offense and is really the only quarterback last season to absolutely torch the Gators. We simply had no answer for him.

The chance of Clowney making it to the Patriots, barring catostrophic injury, is .00000464657%. He was already well on the radar before that hit. After that hit, everyone in the country that had even a passing interest in college football knew his name.

Got a te to RT conversion for ya to keep an eye on OTG. PSU moved TE Garry Gilliam from te to tackle. I think he'll start at RT. He was 6'6" 262 last summer. Now, he's up to 297! That sounds crazy. But, for some background on PSU's strength and conditioning program. It changed dramatically last Jan. They used to use a HIT method that emphasized a lot of reps and cardio. Hired a new S&C coach last winter in Craig Fitzgerald. He was at South Carolina. Brought olympic weights in and are using it to bulk the players up for big-time football.

Gilliam switches to Offensive Tackle

Got a te to RT conversion for ya to keep an eye on OTG. PSU moved TE Garry Gilliam from te to tackle. I think he'll start at RT. He was 6'6" 262 last summer. Now, he's up to 297! That sounds crazy. But, for some background on PSU's strength and conditioning program. It changed dramatically last Jan. They used to use a HIT method that emphasized a lot of reps and cardio. Hired a new S&C coach last winter in Craig Fitzgerald. He was at South Carolina. Brought olympic weights in and are using it to bulk the players up for big-time football.

Gilliam switches to Offensive Tackle

Holy crap, that's a great find, Brother Penn!! :rocker:

This is probably my early binky for next year:

Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State #10.

He's only going to be a Junior next season but whenever I watched Ohio State, I found my eyes being drawn to Shazier's play. He's also only about 225 lbs, hopefully he can add 10 or more on top. But in my early and limited opinion he looks like he'll be better than Lavonte David, Alec Ogletree and Arthur Brown.

When you watch the below video against Penn State, remember two things. Firstly it's from his freshman year and secondly, it's his first start. And once you bear that in mind, prepare to be amazed at his tackling, range and, for someone of his limited bulk, his ability to get off blocks.

Ryan Shazier vs Penn State (11/19/11) - YouTube

The next video is his sophomore highlight video. Check out the hit at 1:25, the goal line stop at 1:40 and the 4th down stop at 3:14 (watch how he cuts inside the block of Taylor Lewan).

Ryan Shazier Sophomore Highlights 2012 | HD - YouTube

I am really going to enjoy watching Ohio State next year.

ive been a huge fan of shazier and bradley roby for a while both great players

This is one of Mayo's absolute favourite prospects:

Why?! RT @MatthewFairburn Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins arrested for DUI. One of the top prospects for 2014

https://twitter.com/Itsasabotage/status/310882879301373952

Has BB been handing out "non-alcoholic" beverages again? If ASJ falls to our pick next year, I'm very tempted. He's an athletic beast - The Ziggy Ansah of TE's.

Just started watching 2014 prospects with David Fales of San Jose State. Pay attention to this guy, he might end up beating Bridgewater for the #1 QB crown. Has that Brady calmness and accuracy to his game.

Just started watching 2014 prospects with David Fales of San Jose State. Pay attention to this guy, he might end up beating Bridgewater for the #1 QB crown. Has that Brady calmness and accuracy to his game.

Scratch that. Bridgewater is too damn good. He's the type of QB I'd trade multiple firsts for as the future Brady replacement. The future is Luck, RGIII and Bridgewater and not necessarily in that order.

My Early Candidate for our first pick at #32 next year:

Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

interview.jpg

643593.jpg

As you can see, he's a big man at 6'7 and 377 lbs. He's the Ted Washington candidate.

Daniel McCullers vs Misssouri 2012 - YouTube

On so many occasions in that video, he affected the pocket. Also like that he has decent lateral ability; he's more than an immovable object. Good scheme fit and what I think will be our no. 1 need next year, namely a double dip at DT.

That dude is mammoth. Would like him a lot.

Yeah, but looking at his size and how the 2011 - 2013 drafts went, he'll likely go Top-15 if he plays well this year. Too much to ask for him to fall all the way down to 32 (manxman -- I love the optimism! :)).

Danny amidon. Not a top tier Guy but I love what he brings to the table. Even with a below par supporting cast he still puts up great numbers. Would love him as a mid round
pick

Maxman, not sure why you are even bothering scouting players for next year. I hate to tell you but I've got inside information about who we will be drafting next year. Here it is:

Round 1 - Brandon Coleman , WR, Rutgers
Round 2 - Savon Huggins, RB, Rutgers
Round 3 - Miles Shuler, WR, Rutgers
Round 4 - Lorenzo Waters, CB, Rutgers
Round 5 - Jamil Merrell, DT, Rutgers
Round 6 - Marcus Thompson, DE, Rutgers
Round 7 - Nick DePaola, LB, Rutgers

Maxman, not sure why you are even bothering scouting players for next year. I hate to tell you but I've got inside information about who we will be drafting next year. Here it is:

Round 1 - Brandon Coleman , WR, Rutgers
Round 2 - Savon Huggins, RB, Rutgers
Round 3 - Miles Shuler, WR, Rutgers
Round 4 - Lorenzo Waters, CB, Rutgers
Round 5 - Jamil Merrell, DT, Rutgers
Round 6 - Marcus Thompson, DE, Rutgers
Round 7 - Nick DePaola, LB, Rutgers

Ha! Right now, I would actually put his twin brother Jamal Merrill in my mock as a mid-rounder. Been watching Rutgers recently and Jamal (note the tiny difference) really stands out as an athletic and lengthy outside linebacker. Been very impressed with him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back