PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Patriots Draft Contact List

Sean Porter, LB, Texas A&M had a private workout with the Patriots, among others according to RavensInsider.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1h
Texas A&M linebacker Sean Porter: private workouts Chiefs, Falcons, Cowboys, Patriots; Interest from Broncos, Bears, Texans and Rams

Actually a little disappointed by this - I was hoping they were pulling a Solder with Wheaton.

Anyway, here's a list of draftable WR's that, as far as we know, haven't had any contact with the Pats. There are 35 WR's with a top 300 grade according to CBS Sports:

Keenan Allen
Terrance Williams
Justin Hunter
Da'Rick Rogers
Aaron Dobson
Marquise Goodwin
Tavarres King
Cobi Hamilton
Chris Harper
Conner Vernon
Corey Fuller
Ace Sanders
Rodney Smith
Denard Robinson
Alec Lemon
Marcus Davis
Uzoma Nwachukwu
Devonte Christopher
TJ Moe

Interestingly, at the top of the draft, they're mainly x-receiver types like Hunter, Rogers, Williams and Dobson.

As another way to look at the contact list, here it is sorted by approximate draft status (this is very approximate and very general)

Round One

Dion Jordan - LB
Alec Ogletree - LB

Desmond Trufant - CB

Cordarelle Patterson - WR
Tavon Austin - WR

DJ Fluker - OL

Early Day Two

Cornelius Carradine - DE

DeAndre Hopkins - WR
Quinton Patton - WR
Robert Woods - WR

Day Two

Andre Ellington - RB

Ryan Swope - WR
Stedman Bailey - WR
Markus Wheaton - WR

Justin Pugh - OL

Travis Kelce - TE

Corey Lemonier - DE

Jordan Poyer - CB
Blidi Wreh-Wilson - CB

Philip Thomas - S

Day 2-3

Marcus Lattimore - RB

Kenny Stills - WR

Reid Fragel - OL

Zavier Gooden - LB
Sean Porter - LB

Tyrann Mathieu - CB

Day 3 Draftable

Robbie Rouse - RB
Knile Davies - RB
Miguel Maysonet - RB

Marquess Wilson - WR
Josh Boyce - WR
Aaron Mellette - WR

Brennan Williams - OL
David Bakhtiari - OL
Ricky Wagner - OL
Patrick Lewis - OL
Dalton Freeman - OL

David Bass - DE
Lerentee McCray - DE

Jon Bostic - LB

Kayvon Webster - CB
Sanders Commings - CB
Marc Anthony - CB

Duke Williams - S

Day 3/UDFA

Dayne Crist -QB
Jeff Tuel - QB

Derrick Washington - RB
Kendial Lawrence - RB
Washaun Ealey - RB

Charles Johnson - WR
Courtney Gardner - WR
Rashad Ross - WR
Jasper Collins - WR
Anthony Amos - WR
Tyrone Goard - WR
Keenan Davis - WR
Russell Sheppard - WR

Travis Tannehill - TE
Hubie Graham - TE

Luke Marquadt - OL
Ryan Schraeder - OL
Ryan Jensen - OL
Matt Tobin - OL
Mark Popek - OL

Earl Okine - DE

Jared Smith - DT
William Campbell - DT
Cory Grissom - DT
Michael Brooks - DT

Sam Barrington - LB
toben Opurum - LB

Mark Watley - CB
Reggie Topps - CB

Jordan Kovacs - S
Don Jones - S
Josh Evans - S
Bradley McDougald - S

Some of these we know about, but the following have visited. Per Reiss:

LB Kiko Alonso (Oregon)
OT Chris Faulk (LSU)
RB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina)
CB Tyrann Mathieu (LSU)
WR Kenny Stills (Oklahoma)
G Dallas Thomas (Tennessee)
WR Robert Woods (Southern Cal)
WR Markus Wheaton (Oregon State)

3 WRs among Patriots visitors - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

LB is becoming more prominent now as a position being looked at by the Pats. The lack of DT's is very interesting. either there is no interest (my belief) or they have one name in mind and they don't want to telegraph anything (Jesse Williams perhaps?)

Some of these we know about, but the following have visited. Per Reiss:

3 WRs among Patriots visitors - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

LB is becoming more prominent now as a position being looked at by the Pats. The lack of DT's is very interesting. either there is no interest (my belief) or they have one name in mind and they don't want to telegraph anything (Jesse Williams perhaps?)

I wouldn't read too much into visits and contacts at this stage, we are still a long way away from the draft. Most of the guys we have actually talked to we don't even know about right now. and some guys we will have contact with in the next two weeks or so. We also know the Pats don't like players or agents talking about their business, so I think there is a good chance we have had contact with quite a few players we won't hear about, especially 1st and 2nd round picks. I think it is interesting to see this kind of stuff and sometimes we can get an indication of which way they might be looking, but I wouldn't read too far into it, BB is way to smart to give out indications like that.

Further to this point and thinking from the perspective of our first and second round picks from previous years:

The following DE and Safeties visited in 2012:

OLB/DE: Bruce Irvin, West Virginia - V
OLB/DE: Melvin Ingram, South Carolina - I, APD, V
OLB/DE: Chandler Jones, Syracuse - I
OLB/DE: Shea McClellin, Boise State - APD, MC
OLB/DE: Nick Perry, USC - APD, V
OLB/DE: Courtney Upshaw - I, MC, APD
OLB/DE: Kyle Wilber, Wake Forest - APD, MC

There are others but we were clearly looking at first or early round pass rushers.

S: Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State - V
S: Harrison Smith, Notre Dame - MC
S: Brandon Taylor, LSU - APD, PW (JMc)

Interestingly whilst we looked at some LB's, only Luke Kuechly qualifies as being similar to Hightower. So Hightower probably got the Saban seal of approval which reduced the need to look around (hence my suggestion of Jesse Williams).

QB's

QB: Andy Dalton, TCU - PW
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - I
QB: Jake Locker, Washington - V
QB: Ryan Mallet, Arkansas - V

RB's

RB: Mario Fannin, Auburn - RI
RB: Alex Green, Hawaii - I
RB: Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State - PW, V
RB: Taiwan Jones, Eastern Washington - APD
RB: Mikel Leshoure, Illinois - V
RB: Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I, PW
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - I
RB: Bilal Powell, Louisville - MC (either PW, or V not yet confirmed)
RB: Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State - MC
RB: Da'Rel Scott, Maryland - PW
RB: Daniel Thomas, Kansas State - PW
RB: Jordan Todman, Conneticut - C (IF), V
RB: Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech - PW (IF)

OT's

OT: Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana - I
OT: Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT: James Carpenter, Alabama - APD, C (DS)
OT: Anthony Castonzo, Boston - APD (DS)
OT: Marcus Gilbert, Florida - I
OT: Chris Hairston, Clemson - PW
OT: Rich Lapham, Boston - RI
OT: Tyron Smith, Southern California - APD, V
OT: Nate Solder, Colorado - V
OT: Danny Watkins, Baylor - I

2010:

CB's

Kyle Wilson
Kareem Jackson
Devin McCourty
Chris Cook
Javier Arenas

TE

Jermaine Gresham
Jimmy Graham
Rob Gronkowski
Dennis Pitta
Tony Moeaki
Aaron Hernandez

and interestingly - Jake Ballard

We also looked at most of Cunningham's rivals and a good number of MLB's.

The point is this: in the last three years, the Patriots have had contacts with most of the immediate rivals for players we've subsequently drafted with the exception of Hightower. So far, the only DT's we've been linked to are UDFA types. So, unless there's someone specific, the recent track record suggests not getting up your hopes for a DT.

I wouldn't read too much into visits and contacts at this stage, we are still a long way away from the draft. Most of the guys we have actually talked to we don't even know about right now. and some guys we will have contact with in the next two weeks or so. We also know the Pats don't like players or agents talking about their business, so I think there is a good chance we have had contact with quite a few players we won't hear about, especially 1st and 2nd round picks. I think it is interesting to see this kind of stuff and sometimes we can get an indication of which way they might be looking, but I wouldn't read too far into it, BB is way to smart to give out indications like that.

See Above.

And yes of course we're still two weeks away - that's pretty obvious. But we can only use the information available to us which is what I'm doing.

Further to this point and thinking from the perspective of our first and second round picks from previous years:

Good post. I think we all go with our guts and perceptions sometimes so I love it when people back it up with the facts. I was leaning towards the Pats taking a fatty in this draft but I think you're right that it may be Williams or nothing, at least early.

Good post. I think we all go with our guts and perceptions sometimes so I love it when people back it up with the facts. I was leaning towards the Pats taking a fatty in this draft but I think you're right that it may be Williams or nothing, at least early.

Well as Wilfork75 pointed out, we only know of about 12 official visits so far and they're entitled to 30 so we could suddenly see a flurry of DT activity. But the apparent lack of interest so far is interesting.

Well as Wilfork75 pointed out, we only know of about 12 official visits so far and they're entitled to 30 so we could suddenly see a flurry of DT activity. But the apparent lack of interest so far is interesting.

Yes I was more referencing the history the last few years showing they are bringing in who they're really looking at. If they do bring in 5-7 NT/DT types I'll start to figure that back into my thinking. I think Pats fans in general, myself included, think BB is doing way more cloak and dagger stuff than he really is.

TE

Jermaine Gresham
Jimmy Graham
Rob Gronkowski
Dennis Pitta
Tony Moeaki
Aaron Hernandez

and interestingly - Jake Ballard

It would not surprise me if I saw that in 2010 they contacted EVERY TE available in the draft.

Aaron Wilson is a pretty reliable source; he had this to say earlier on twitter:

Aaron Wilson ‏
@RavensInsider

Sources: Patriots RBs coach Ivan Fears at LSU today working out Spencer Ware, Michael Ford, Russell Shepard

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back