PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Shrine Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russ Lande is seeing some rising stock out of this game

The way CB's J. Norman (Coastal Carolina) & S. Prater (Iowa) have performed this week, I have a feeling they will both be 2nd round picks.

Have we heard any speculation on Hicks' potential draft round?

All I've heard about him has been great so far. Awesome wingspan too. They are actually grading the guards on how well the block Hicks!

Plenty of talk about Saulsberry from a lot of draft sites.

I'm obsessed with Ryan Miller - I know he's been a Guard for almost all of his College career, but could he play Tackle? Pretty short arms looking at this figures, didn't look that short in College.

32.5" is good for a guard, but short (barely) for an OT. I think the Pats are set at OT for next year with Light, Vollmer, Solder, and Cannon as the 4th OT and reserve OG..

From Wes Bunting:

He's been the star of the show so far judging by the reaction of the drafniks present. A name to lock away in that part of the brain you devote to the Patriots.

Hicks had long arms (35 1/8") and a huge wing span (84") I think he's look great opposite mixed in with Love and Wilfork..

Wes Bunting has a really good breakdown of the ten best performers at the Shrine game practices. Very much worth a read.

It was reported that we interviewed him earlier in the week. This Tony Pauline write up hints as to why:

Emil Igwenagu, TE-FB, UMass -- The small-school tight end has been the jack of all trades the past two days. Igwenagu has lined up at tight end, H-back and as a lead blocking fullback. He's done well at each position, showing a variety of skill. Igwenagu is a good athlete who catches the ball well and gets after blocking assignments to seal defenders away from the action. The ability to grasp the duties of new positions he never played in college has impressed scouts this week.

Igwenagu has earned himself a call up to the Senior Bowl and combine. An ideal Patriot late round draft pick should we get one by the sounds of it.

I feel like I'm going to be a big fan of Norman and Hicks when I watch them saturday

I feel like I'm going to be a big fan of Norman and Hicks when I watch them saturday

I enjoyed watching the Shrine game last year, but there was a problem with it.. The offenses really didn't show off the passing game.

I enjoyed watching the Shrine game last year, but there was a problem with it.. The offenses really didn't show off the passing game.

Uhg, I didn't even think about that. I better get the DVR ready instead.

Thanks

Lance Lewis Greg Childs.Those are the guys i am looking at wr.I think Jarius Wright having small hands shouldnt surprise anyone considering his height.

How about BJ Cunningham as a poor man's Colston (big, slot receiver type).

Notes:

Cunningham looked polished today and was the top receiver in the morning practice. He displayed reliable hands, easily making the underneath reception, while also contorting to make acrobatic grabs downfield. Cunningham's route-running was also much better than anticipated. He lacks classic foot speed and does not display a deep burst, but showed enough skill to cause NFL decision-makers to believe he'll be a solid third receiver."
Cunningham was also the first receiver mentioned Tuesday by Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl in their ESPN NFL Draft Blog (Insider account access only), who wrote that Cunningham "looks like the best receiver in St. Petersburg this week," though they, too, cited "top-end" speed as his biggest flaw.

Michigan State's B.J. Cunningham continued his strong start with a great showing on Day 2. His top-end speed is a question mark, but Cunningham makes up for that with good route-running skills. He shows the savvy to set up defenders within his stem and create separation out of breaks, and he caught everything thrown at him on Day 2. He popped up after absorbing a big hit and hanging on to the ball, plucked the ball naturally, and looks like the best receiver in St. Petersburg this week."
Cunningham is considered a middle-to-late round NFL draft pick, with CBS Sports, for example, rating the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Ohio native as the 23rd-best wideout available and 180th-best prospect in the seven round draft, April 26-28.

And obviously I'm slightly biased, but just throwing his name out there. Here is his college production:

REC - 218 (#1 in school history)
YDS - 3086 (#1 in school history)
TD - 25 (#2 in school history)

Watched the 1st half today. Couple of guys really stuck out as suspected.

Jarius Wright runs supreme routes. He ran circles around the competition today and I think he will be an NFL caliber player.

Guard Brandon Brooks had his way with everyone. May have moved himself into the 3rd or 4th round with a very solid performance.

Bj Coleman is a pretty good QB. At least against the competition he faced today. 10-15 170 yards and a td pass. Crisp. Worth a mid draft pick if you are looking for potential.

Kentrell Lockett looked good and played smart and had some nice plays out there. Has the height and size to be a 34 olb. Acl surgery from 2010 cause for concern.

Gotta say, the practice notes I've read so far all had TE George Bryan being a washout as a pass-catcher - and then he finished the game as the West's leading receiver (3/55).

All of which means he'll probably be way overdrafted by some team looking for the next Gronk or Jimmy Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes