2012 Senior Bowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main guys I'm watching for:
Janoris Jenkins - South #1
Harrison Smith - North #22
Cam Johnson - North #56
Shea McClellin - North #92

So looking forward to the game today. Got my notepad out.. Got the DVR set. Printing out the rosters.. reviewing them so I know what numbers to look for..

BTW, anyone know how they decide which teams provide the coaching staffs? Personally, I'd like to see the staffs from teams who maid it to the divisional rounds instead of coaching staffs that were horrible (Minnesote - 3-13 and Washington -5-11).

There's no formula. They like to use teams that finished poorly. But, many of those teams have fired their coaches and staffs. They're trying to help out the poor teams. Kind of like the draft itself.

There's no formula. They like to use teams that finished poorly. But, many of those teams have fired their coaches and staffs. They're trying to help out the poor teams. Kind of like the draft itself.

Hmm.. never thought of that.. It basically does give those teams a leg up on scouting those players since they get to see them in situations that other teams don't.

Coples looks dominant. Needs to play smart

My overall impression of the Senior Bowl. Underwhelmed. Some of that is because the QBs were just bad, in general. But, even many of the guys being touted as 1st round draft choices didn't WOW me.

Observations:

North Side played a 4-3 Defense
South Side played a 3-4 Defense

The Good:
Isaiah Pead - RB - Cinncinnati - WOW. This kid can flat out run. He's got patience and great vision. Hits the holes hard. Can't just arm tackle him

Joe Adams - WR - Arkansas - Came as advertised. The fumble on his initial reception was bad. He'll need to work on protecting the ball, but he is quick AND fast. He was excellent on Punt returns.

TJ Graham - WR - NC State - Kid showed good return ability. Also showed good field awareness, coming back to make a catch when his QB was under pressure.

Quinton Coples - DE - NC - Started off slow, but was clearly the best DE out there, bar none.

Mike Adams - OT - Ohio State - WOW. For all intents and purposes, he shut down Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram.

Audie Cole - LB - NC State - Kid played MLB and SLB for NC. Played the Will today and didn't look out of place at all. At over 6'4 and 258lbs, I could see him as a fit for OLB for the Pats. He seems to have very good instincts.

Jamell Fleming - CB - Oklahoma - Good play to force fumble by Joe Adams. Showed very good awareness.

Bobby Wagner - LB - Utah State - He was all over the field. Made some good plays including an interception.

Mike BREWSTER- C - Ohio State - Webster put on a clinic today. He had only one play where he missed the DT (Brandon Thompson) when the guard pulled, but that's because Thompson shot through the hole as if he was shot out of a Cannon.

Brandon Thompson - DT - Clemson - Had a helluva game. Was very disruptive . It was mentioned that he's been two-gapping at Clemson, but I think he'd be a helluva 3-4 DE in a single gap system like Pittsburgh.

The Bad:
Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama - Not sure what people see in him. He sure didn't play like a 1st round pick. Maybe it's because he was playing off the receivers, by he seemed to take bad angles when trying to tackle and he tried to arm tackle on every play he was involved in but one.

Chris Rainey - RB - Florida - Kid had no vision. Didn't matter if it was the kick-offs or running the ball. No patience.

Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M - Drops. Went down too easy so no YAC.

Devier Posey - WR - Ohio State - Showed Poor awareness on one of the interceptions in the end zone. Cut his route and led to the interception.

The Ugly:
Ben Jones - C - Georgia - Had a horrible game. He got blown up early by Ta'amu Alameda.

Donnie Flethcer - CB - Boston College - Horrible game. No awareness of the ball. Couldn't tackle. Looked absolutely lost out there.

Brandon Weeden - QB - Oklahoma State - Had 2 horrible interceptions. Against such vanilla defenses, you can't play as poorly as he did.

Other observations:

Juron Criner - Once Foles got on the field, Criner shined. However, Criner's routes weren't crisp. Very rounded.

Courtney Upshaw - He tended to take himself out of plays by being too aggressive.

Ta'amu Alameda - Would make a nice 3-4 NT.

Kendall Reyes - DE - Connecticut - Could make a nice RDE for the Pats.

Vinny Curry - DE/OLB - Marshall - Played standing up and didn't look out of place. Was good, but not outstanding, on the pass rush. Got his hands up a few times which was good to see.

The WRs - In general, the poor play of the QBs took away from the WRs other than Adams and Criner.

Emil Igwanagu - TE/H-Back - Mass - Made a nice play for a reception. Showed good hips getting turned around because of a bad pass. Blocked well.

Bradie Ewing - TE/H-Back - Wisconsin - More of a blocker than receiver, but had the best catch of the day, making a catch on a poor throw while covered.

Last edited:
You say Criner wasn't running crisp routes...ont he contrary, I felt he was. I've always rated the guy as a route runner and that ahs always helped make up for his lack of speed at times.

He's an ideal Patriots target I feel. Showed good hands and really adjusted his body well to the ball...should have had another TD catch and would have had there been a more accurate throw on the fade into the endzone.

From what was being said, this guy has helped his draft stock more than any player at the Senior Bowl. He incorporated what he had shown on the practice field very well during the game.

My overall impression of the Senior Bowl. Underwhelmed. Some of that is because the QBs were just bad, in general. But, even many of the guys being touted as 1st round draft choices didn't WOW me.

Observations:

North Side played a 4-3 Defense
South Side played a 3-4 Defense

The Good:
Isaiah Pead - RB - Cinncinnati - WOW. This kid can flat out run. He's got patience and great vision. Hits the holes hard. Can't just arm tackle him

Joe Adams - WR - Arkansas - Came as advertised. The fumble on his initial reception was bad. He'll need to work on protecting the ball, but he is quick AND fast. He was excellent on Punt returns.

TJ Graham - WR - NC State - Kid showed good return ability. Also showed good field awareness, coming back to make a catch when his QB was under pressure.

Quinton Coples - DE - NC - Started off slow, but was clearly the best DE out there, bar none.

Mike Adams - OT - Ohio State - WOW. For all intents and purposes, he shut down Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram.

Audie Cole - LB - NC State - Kid played MLB and SLB for NC. Played the Will today and didn't look out of place at all. At over 6'4 and 258lbs, I could see him as a fit for OLB for the Pats. He seems to have very good instincts.

Jamell Fleming - CB - Oklahoma - Good play to force fumble by Joe Adams. Showed very good awareness.

Bobby Wagner - LB - Utah State - He was all over the field. Made some good plays including an interception.

Mike Webster - C - Ohio State - Webster put on a clinic today. He had only one play where he missed the DT (Brandon Thompson) when the guard pulled, but that's because Thompson shot through the hole as if he was shot out of a Cannon.

Brandon Thompson - DT - Clemson - Had a helluva game. Was very disruptive . It was mentioned that he's been two-gapping at Clemson, but I think he'd be a helluva 3-4 DE in a single gap system like Pittsburgh.

The Bad:
Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama - Not sure what people see in him. He sure didn't play like a 1st round pick. Maybe it's because he was playing off the receivers, by he seemed to take bad angles when trying to tackle and he tried to arm tackle on every play he was involved in but one.

Chris Rainey - RB - Florida - Kid had no vision. Didn't matter if it was the kick-offs or running the ball. No patience.

Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M - Drops. Went down too easy so no YAC.

Devier Posey - WR - Ohio State - Showed Poor awareness on one of the interceptions in the end zone. Cut his route and led to the interception.

The Ugly:
Ben Jones - C - Georgia - Had a horrible game. He got blown up early by Ta'amu Alameda.

Donnie Flethcer - CB - Boston College - Horrible game. No awareness of the ball. Couldn't tackle. Looked absolutely lost out there.

Brandon Weeden - QB - Oklahoma State - Had 2 horrible interceptions. Against such vanilla defenses, you can't play as poorly as he did.

Other observations:

Juron Criner - Once Foles got on the field, Criner shined. However, Criner's routes weren't crisp. Very rounded.

Courtney Upshaw - He tended to take himself out of plays by being too aggressive.

Ta'amu Alameda - Would make a nice 3-4 NT.

Kendall Reyes - DE - Connecticut - Could make a nice RDE for the Pats.

Vinny Curry - DE/OLB - Marshall - Played standing up and didn't look out of place. Was good, but not outstanding, on the pass rush. Got his hands up a few times which was good to see.

The WRs - In general, the poor play of the QBs took away from the WRs other than Adams and Criner.

Emil Igwanagu - TE/H-Back - Mass - Made a nice play for a reception. Showed good hips getting turned around because of a bad pass. Blocked well.

Bradie Ewing - TE/H-Back - Wisconsin - More of a blocker than receiver, but had the best catch of the day, making a catch on a poor throw while covered.

Terrific, meaty observations you can sink your teeth into. Thanks, man. :cool:

Editorial Note: I am so glad it's NOT just me who has to check himself every single time!! :eek:

Mike Webster retired a LONG time ago, my friend!! :rofl:

You say Criner wasn't running crisp routes...ont he contrary, I felt he was. I've always rated the guy as a route runner and that ahs always helped make up for his lack of speed at times.

Not sure how you can say he was running crisp routes when all of his routes were rounded.. I replayed each of the receptions 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

A perfect example was the 1st reception he made. It was supposed to be an out route. With an out route, you are supposed to end up running perpendicular to the sideline. With Criner, he was running at an angle, more upfield than towards the sideline. And it forced him to have to go low to make that catch. Had he actually gone at the proper break, he'd have been about a yard closer and wouldn't have had to go down so low for the ball and he might have been able to get more yardage..

Last edited:
Terrific, meaty observations you can sink your teeth into. Thanks, man. :cool:

Editorial Note: I am so glad it's NOT just me who has to check himself every single time!! :eek:

Mike Webster retired a LONG time ago, my friend!! :rofl:

Thanks for the correction. I edited my post to account for it.

Thanks for the correction. I edited my post to account for it.

I hope that came across right: I was laughing WITH you, Bro!! :D

My fingers want to type "Webster" every single TIME that Brewster comes up!! :bricks:

From Twitter

BlitzingDog3 Scott Porter
Georgia CB Brandon Boykin suffered a broken leg which will likely require surgery.

New buy low candidate :cool:

From Twitter

Georgia CB Brandon Boykin suffered a broken leg which will likely require surgery.

Not to be arsey, but I think the first thought regarding that bit of news should be "get well soon Brandon".

That must be hearbreaking for him. After a spectacular bowl game and really boosting his stock at the Senior Bowl to an extent that he's being talked about as a potential first rounder, to have that possibly taken away from him must be horrible. Missing the combine could really hurt his stock considering the depth of the CB class this year.

I hope that came across right: I was laughing WITH you, Bro!! :D

My fingers want to type "Webster" every single TIME that Brewster comes up!! :bricks:

Weren't "Webster" and "Brewster" both cheezy comedy series' from the 80s? :p

From Twitter

That sucks. It wasn't even mentioned during the game..

On a side note, I think that Heath Evans did a great job as a sideline reporter at the Senior Bowl.

Did anyone else have any observations from the game???

Ochmed?

OTG?

SnakeEyes??

Wilfork???

Did anyone else have any observations from the game???

Ochmed?

OTG?

SnakeEyes??

Wilfork???

I didnt see it, is there a link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes