PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* 2012 Draft Quarter Backs *

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was VERY impressed by Luck this weekend, even though they lost he showed magnificent poise by stepping into throws right as he was getting hit from in front. He also kept his composure very well after throwing a pick 6, no emotional outbursts, he was focused not on himself but rather on helping the receiver who made the mistake get past it, true class and leadership.

Grid, what do you think of Kellen Moore?

Not sure about Grid, but I think Moore is awful. No strong arm. Slow release. Long term project. 5-7th round draft pick at best.

I was VERY impressed by Luck this weekend, even though they lost he showed magnificent poise by stepping into throws right as he was getting hit from in front. He also kept his composure very well after throwing a pick 6, no emotional outbursts, he was focused not on himself but rather on helping the receiver who made the mistake get past it, true class and leadership.

Grid, what do you think of Kellen Moore?

Not sure about Grid, but I think Moore is awful. No strong arm. Slow release. Long term project. 5-7th round draft pick at best.

Boy, I would KILL to give that guy another 4 inches in height.

Absolutely LOVE that kid, Brother Snake.

Tremendous Diagnostic Acuity, by all accounts.

Outstanding Instincts.

And his Processing Speed CRANKS.

Not sure I disagree with Brother Ninja about the particulars, but I LOVE this kid.

It's just that ~ at 5.11.5 ~ I see him having major issues at the next level.

I'm honestly not sure I wouldn't snatch'm up, anyway.

Great eye, man. :cool:

Outstanding Instincts.

Not sure I disagree with Brother Ninja about the particulars, but I LOVE this kid.

Vick and Brees are both 6ft tall, I've seen some stills of Moore's throwing mechanics, they definitely need work. While I think he'd be a bit of a project I think he'd make a really good project for the right team.

It really is too bad we can stick his head on JaMarcus Russel's body.

I just had a thought, there's no way Doug Flutie would be taller than Moore, he's Flutie reborn! Instead of Flutie Flakes it'd be Kellen Krunch!

Last edited:
What about Robert Griffin III from Baylor? I've seen him as the No 4 QB behind Jones on most sites.

Last edited:

Outstanding Instincts.

Vick and Brees are both 6ft tall, I've seen some stills of Moore's throwing mechanics, they definitely need work. While I think he'd be a bit of a project I think he'd make a really good project for the right team.

Hey, you don't need to tell me, Bro. :cool:

It's no secret that there are a few exceptions to the general height and weight guidelines, as I've noted, myself, from time to time.

I remember explicitly pointing out Jeff Saturday, back in the Spring, among others.

But one ignores height and weight guidelines at one's peril. :eek:

Like I said: I'm not ruling him out.

He was actually the very first guy who jumped out at me at this position, this year, and I'm crazy about'm.

Indeed, I believe I'm now the very first one on this Site to pound the table about Kellen Moore. :cool:

~ And I believe that you are the first guy to mention him...which is also rather cool. :D

You don't need to tell me, Bro.

It's no secret that there are a few exceptions to the general height and weight guidelines, as I've noted, myself, from time to time.

I remember explicitly pointing out Jeff Saturday, earlier this year, someone who you mentioned just yesterday, I believe.

But one ignores height and weight guidelines at one's peril. :eek:

Like I said: I'm not ruling him out.

He was actually the very first guy who jumped out at me at this position, this year, and I'm crazy about'm.

Indeed, I believe I'm now the very first one on this Site to pound the table about Kellen Moore. :cool:

His name goes with the breakfast cereal, if that's not a sign from the football gods it was destined to happen I dont know what is:D

The Saints backup QB is only listed at 6ft, Sean Payton seems ok with it, there's probably no offensive coach in the game I respect more than Payton, if anyone can tap Moore's potential it's him.

On a totally unrelated note do you think the actor who plays Kenny Powers would be perfect to play Rexy in the eventual Patriots movie ("the Dynasty")? Dye his hair silver and have him gain 40lbs and he's all set.

Danny_Mcbride-2.jpg

'Rings or Feet"?

His name goes with the breakfast cereal, if that's not a sign from the football gods it was destined to happen I dont know what is:D

The Saints backup QB is only listed at 6ft, Sean Payton seems ok with it, there's probably no offensive coach in the game I respect more than Payton, if anyone can tap Moore's potential it's him.

On a totally unrelated note do you think the actor who plays Kenny Powers would be perfect to play Rexy in the eventual Patriots movie ("the Dynasty")? Dye his hair silver and have him gain 40lbs and he's all set.

Danny_Mcbride-2.jpg

'Rings or Feet"?

FTW, Brother Snake!! :lol2:

Interesting stuff as usual.

Two prospects I'd like to add are: Case Keenum and G.J. Kinne. Keenum is no Andre Ware. He'll be more like Drew Brees. Kinne is underrated when it comes to his pro-projection but he can play. Both offenses are unconventional compared to pro-style but I like what I see in both of them. Check them out when you can and get back to me.

Interesting stuff as usual.

Two prospects I'd like to add are: Case Keenum and G.J. Kinne. Keenum is no Andre Ware. He'll be more like Drew Brees. Kinne is underrated when it comes to his pro-projection but he can play. Both offenses are unconventional compared to pro-style but I like what I see in both of them. Check them out when you can and get back to me.

Thanks for the kind words, Brother Boris. :cool:

Gary Joe Kinne

It was actually I, your humble servant, who first brought up Gary Joe Kinne, on Page 2 of this thread ~ Gary Joe Kinne ~ and we certainly agree that he can play. I currently rate him ahead of the other guy I brought up ~ BJ Coleman ~ as a potential Late Rounder.

Casey Keenum

Gotta LOVE Casey Keenum ~ yeah, I added the "y"!! ~ and he's improved significantly in his 6th year...Indeed, he's smack dab in the middle of the Heisman Race, it would seem...Good eye, Bro. :cool:

My Approach

I should stress the point that I'm focusing on guys that have been profiled by NFL Draft Scout and National FootBall Post. I believe that both Sites get the "All 22" Film ~ an enormous advantage in evaluation, I think ~ and, as such, have the Opportunity to offer us insight that we're not privy to.

Furthermore, they've got the time and the resources to extensively study this "All 22" Game Tape and confer with other professionals.

All my positions are ultimately my own, obviously, but I consider it wise, indeed, to confer with Professionals who have the time and the access to resources that I do not, and allow them to do the heavy lifting.

This is why I've only nibbled lightly ~ or deferred ~ on profiling Casey Keenum, Kellen Moore, Robert Griffin, and the like: There's still a lot more information to come on these guys, and I believe in the principle of Measure Twice ~ Cut Once ~ I'll be circling back at each position with extensive updates a couple of times between now and Draft Night!!

~ Bump to Yon Top ~

OK!! Here we go...I can't believe it's been FOUR MONTHS!!! :eek:

Explanation of Colors + Numbers

1 ~ Red = OverRated ~ in my OH so humble opinion!! :D

2 ~ Purple = Sleeper or Steal or Super Sleeper!! :D

3 ~ Blue = Bargain ~ Good Value.

4 ~ The first number = Market Value ~ my best guess, based on CBS, Walter, Et Cetera...

5 ~ The second number = FIENDISH Value ~ how I grade them!!

6 ~ These will all be Cut + Pasted from yon Site, so the formats are different.

An Explanation of My Twisted ViewPoint!!

I have no intention or expectation of converting anyone to my view of things, of course. That doesn't happen, anyway: People make up their own minds in their own way...But an explanation is warranted, I think, out of respect to those of you who do me the honor of reading these Works.

When I assess the Value of a Quarter Back ~ or any player at all ~ I strip away absolutely everything else but one simple, solitary factor: His prospective Impact on The Championship Quest.

~ I don't give a rat's ass if he throws for 6000 Yards.

~ I don't give a rat's ass if he rushes for 1000 Yards.

~ I don't give a rat's ass if he helps his team make the PlayOffs 10 years in a row.

~ I care only ~ only ~ about how well I expect him to compete in Championship Games.

And analyzing that, my friends, is a tough undertaking, indeed.

Dan Marino set many records, and played in many playoff games, but in my view he was not a great Quarter Back, any more than Marty SchottenHeimer was a great Coach.

He was merely a great Passer...And if you don't know the difference ~ regardless of whether or not you agree with my assessment of Dan Marino, for whom I have great respect ~ then we can never have an intelligent conversation on this matter: A great Thrower does not make a great Pitcher...And a great Passer does not make a great Quarter Back.

Likewise, Terry Bradshaw ~ he of the 4 Super Bowl rings ~ was also not a great Quarter Back.

Conversely, Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls, and he most certainly was a great Quarter Back.

Perhaps the best ever.

Additionally, John Elway was a great Quarter Back...but was already a great Quarter Back before he won a single ring.

It's complicated, in my view...don't you think?

And it's subjective.

And there is no statistic to boil it down for you or for me.

Frankly, I don't believe there ever will be.

And that's very difficult for most of us to accept.

I believe that, historically, the importance of a QB's Arm Strength and Athleticism are both vastly overrated.

For me, it comes down to two things, really: Diagnostic Acuity + Processing Speed.

And, no: I have no idea how to measure either.

I just know it when I see it.

Andrew Luck ~ 6.4/234 ~ 1st ~ 1st

Super Beast!! Andrew Luck commands outstanding Diagnostic Acuity, Processing Speed, Leadership, and Poise. He's got The Right Stuff to lead his team to Championships!! Best clear QB Prospect in a Decade or more. Even at #1 in the entire Draft, he is a Steal!!

Robert Griffin ~ 6.2/220 ~ 1st ~ 1st

Stud Horse!! QB's with Robert Griffin's athleticism rarely evolve into what I consider to be Championship Caliber QB's, as the allure of their Scrambling ability tends to distract them from pursuing dedicated development of their ability to stand in the Pocket and make game altering decisions. Yet, within that context, I he's exceptional. Fair Value!!

Ryan TanneHill ~ 6.4/222 ~ 1st-2nd ~ 3rd

Starter!! Ryan TanneHill is very raw, and has a very thin resume, but commands an extraordinary arsenal of physical and cerebral talent. Even so, it is of the Scrambling style, and such QB's tend to make a big splash without ever providing their teams a legitimate chance of winning The Big One, which is the extremely harsh yard stick by which I judge all QB's. As such, and because he is raw and will need work, I tend to give him a 3rd Round grade. OverRated!!

Brandon Weeden ~ 6.4/220 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 1st-2nd

Stud Horse!! Remarkably raw for his lofty age ~ 28 going on 29 ~ Brandon Weeden is, nevertheless, an intelligent Field General with exceptional physical skills.

A savvy GM won't give a rat's ass about his age ~ Weeden should be good for 8 to 12 years, anyway ~ and will take full advantage of his age artificially depressing the Market Value of a kid who ought be a 1st or 2nd Rounder. Steal!!

Brock Osweiler ~ 6.7/240 ~ 2nd-3rd ~ 4th-5th

Potential Starter!! With his exciting raw skill set and a thin Quarter Back Market, Brock Osweiler's Stock is high and rising...But in my view, we have a QB who has a wafer thin resume, combined with virtually no noteworthy Diagnostic Acuity or Processing Speed.

In my view, he's a 4th or 5th Rounder who'll need a lot of development. As such, I consider him highly OverRated!!

Kirk Cousins ~ 6.2/210 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 3rd-4th

Potential Starter!! Kirk Cousins's got more experience in a professional kind of Offense than most of these guys ahead of'm, and he's exhibited a good deal of Diagnostic Acuity.

Mind you: his Processing Speed needs work, as he shows a tendency to buckle under pressure from time to time.

If that can be addressed, he may be the steal of the Draft. As it is, he strikes me as a pretty good Mid Round bet, and that's where the Market has him, so I'll call it Fair Value!!

Nick Foles ~ 6.5/245 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 6th-7th

Reserve!! Nick Foles has a great arm, but I have grave reservations regarding his Diagnostic Acuity and, especially, about his Processing Speed, after the snap.

Ordinarily, I might give a guy like this a Free Agent grade, but he gets exceptionally high marks for Work Ethic, and that aspect, while it gets tons of lip service in the media, remains a greatly underrated element of the Game, in my view: I believe that Hard Work can go a long way towards improving Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed.

Even so, I consider him a long shot to be an exceptional Quarter Back at the next level, so I consider his Market Value to be a round or two too Gourmet, no doubt elevated by his exceptional Arm. Over Rated!!

Ryan Lindley ~ 6.4/228 ~ 4th-5th ~ UFA

Fringe Reserve!! Ryan Lindley doesn't strike me as having particularly notable skills in any aspect of his Game, and both his Diagnostic Acuity and his Processing Speed under pressure seem to be weak points. I wouldn't write the guy off, all together, but to my mind he is clearly a Reserve who needs work. As such, I consider his Market Value to be very excessive, as you could get QB's of his potential much later in the Draft, and even beyond: Over Rated!!

BJ Coleman ~ 6.3/234 ~ 6th-7th ~ 5th-7th

Reserve!! BJ Coleman brings considerable physical skills to the table, but is very raw with his Mechanics. The Tipping Point, in my view, are the accolades he gets for Work Ethic. That, and his natural talent, make him a very good Late Round Pick, indeed: Fair Value!!

Russell Wilson ~ 5.11/204 ~ 6th-7th ~ 7th

Fringe Reserve!! Russell Wilson has great natural talent, but his short stature and raw Diagnostics render him a long shot to become an effective Pro Quarter Back. The only thing that really speaks in his favor is that he's gone against top college competition. Fair Value!!

Chandler Harnish ~ 6.2/220 ~ 6th-7th ~ 7th

Fringe Reserve!! Chandler Harnish brings great Athleticism to the table, and an exceptional Arm, but his Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed are pretty damned poor, at this juncture. However, he's a natural Leader and commands the tenacity to make the most of what he has. He could even develop into a Starter, in the right system with enough coaching and patience. Fair Value!!

Kellen Moore ~ 6.0/192 ~ 7th ~ 1st!!

Beast!! Kellen Moore is the story of this Draft Class, as far as I'm concerned. His Diagnostic Acuity, his Processing Speed, his insatiable Work Ethic, his Vision, his Confidence, his complete and utter Command of the Huddle...his Third Eye, his Instincts, his ability to see where the play's going before it happens...are magnificent.

If I needed to drive the length of the field to score the winning Touch Down in the final two minutes of the Super Bowl, and I had only the Quarter Backs of the 2012 Draft Class to choose from, to lead my team, I would certainly choose Andrew Luck, the greatest QB prospect in the last decade or more...

...unless Kellen Moore was available.

Laugh, if you like.

But under pressure ~ when it counts most ~ it's an easy decision for me.

I laugh my ASS off when I read Reports comparing Moore to Drew Brees "except for the Arm."!!

For those who's memories don't go back 10 years ~ and that is evidently a vast majority ~ the overwhelming consensus on Drew Brees, 11 years ago, was that he was good on the Dink and Dunk stuff...but just don't ask him to sling it downfield!!

True Story!!

Super Sleeper!!

Casey Keenum ~ 6.1/210 ~ UFA ~ 6th-7th

Reserve!! Casey Keenum is short in stature, but is an hard worker and a Scrapper who makes the most of what he's got. He doesn't command much Arm Strength, but he commands the Huddle...At this point, it's hard to assess his Diagnostic Acuity or Processing Speed, because of the nature of the Offense he ran on Planet Hoosten, but within the confines of that Offense, he certainly Moved the Chains. And he improved his Mechanics as a Senior, coming off an ACL injury, which speaks to his Tenacity and Focus. I like the kid, and I'd have no problem dropping a 7th Round Pick on him, if I had one to spare. Deal!!

Aaron Corp ~ 6.4/216 ~ UFA ~ 4th-5th

Potential Starter!! Aaron Corp is very raw, but he brings superior Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed to the table, as well as excellent Mechanics and good height for the position. Given the right coaching and some patience, he seems to have legitimate Starter potential. Steal!!

Austin Davis ~ 6.1/216 ~ UFA ~ 6th-7th

Reserve!! Austin Davis is generally downgraded, due to his lack of Arm Strength, his Height, and his experience being in Shot Gun...However, I am inclined to like this kid's ability to manage a Game, which gets about 10% of the attention in scouting QB's, though it ultimately proves to be about 90% of what makes them or breaks them. Mind you, I'm not saying we have Joe Montana, here, but his Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed are excellent. He's also got Scrambling skills, but I don't give a rat's ass about that. All in all, though, I see potential as an effective Reserve and even a potential Starter in the NFL. Deal!!

Gary Joe Kinne ~ 6.1/234 ~ 6th-7th

Reserve!! Despite his Strong Arm and Athleticism, I like Gary Joe Kinne. Hah!! What I like about him, though, is that he's the son of a Coach who's improved Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed in his Senior year clearly exhibited an open mind and the will to do what is need to evolve as a Field General, a trait that is as uncommon as it is vital. As such, I consider him a very intriguing Prospect. Deal!!

John Brantley ~ 6.3/220 ~ UFA ~ 7th

Fringe Reserve!! John Brantley's a little difficult to get a bead on: he flashed inconsistent Indicators of Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed...But my gut tells me that there's real Product to work with, here. Deal!!

Stephen Garcia ~ 6.2/231 ~ UFA ~ UFA

Dark Horse!! Mind you...

I'm feeling a little too much "Brett Favre" in his Game.

Hell...I'm feeling a little too much "Ricky Henderson."

I'm feeling a bit too much "HollyWood."

But Steve Garcia has MOXIE...and he has it in SPADES.

And he's got Talent.

But he's a raging DONKEY...and the odds of him ever harnessing his considerable physical skills ~ and his equally considerable Testicular Fortitude ~ are LONG.

Caveat Emptor.

But if you're feeling...wacky...by all MEANS...

Take a shot.

Not with my money, though!!

Dan Persa ~ 5.11/210 ~ UFA ~ 4th-5th

Potential Starter!! Dan Persa is just a bit on the short side, but my GOD, is he loaded with Intangibles!!

His Diagnostics and his Processing Speed are through the ROOF, his Work Ethic is absolutely astounding, and it doesn't hurt that he adds Mobility and exceptional Mechanics to his Resume.

His lack of Glory Stats, Height, or Rocket Arm relegate him to UFA Land, but I'm here to tell you that this guy could be an extraordinary 15 year Reserve, one who could come in, in a pinch, and KILL the unprepared...and even become an effective Starter!! Sleeper!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :D

And now the FUN BEGINS!! :rocker:

I've been working my @$$ off, NOT that I'm complaining, mind you, but it DID get a bit HEAVY. :eek:

And NOW ~ and for the next 40 DAYS ~ I get to PLAY!! :D

Mocks, Mocks, Mocks, sharing notes and opinions with my brethren ~ getting told I'm out of my freaking MIND 8000 times, ESPECIALLY for that Kellen Moore lunacy!! :D ~ FUN, FUN, FUN!!! :rocker:

I'll try to get out each position over the next several days, gents: I don't want to suddenly choke the flow by FLOODING this place with'm, though, so maybe a couple positions or so a day??
huh.gif

And, YES, I'll get to work on my next Mock ~ if anyone cares ~ the VERY NEXT THING...RIGHT after this DRINK, that is!! :D

Love it.

I'm totally on board with getting either Moore or Keenum late.

Those guys can hold Brady's clip board any day as far as I'm concerned.

I'm torn on Kellen Moore. Mentally he is as good as it gets. As you said his processing speed is incredible, he has a fantastic understanding of the game, he seems to thrive under pressure and he is a flat out winner, which can never be overlooked. Physically he needs a complete overhaul. His delivery is too long and his arm is too weak. But those are things that can be worked on, while his feel for the game is something that a lot of NFL QB's will never have. If you can bring him in, ideally let him sit on the practice sqaud for a while and really let him develop his physical skill set, I think he can be a genuin starter in the NFL. Even with an average NFL caliber arm and release, I think he could be very successful.

Kirk Cousins ~ 6.2/210 ~ 3rd-4th ~ 3rd-4th

Potential Starter!! Kirk Cousins's got more experience in a professional kind of Offense than most of these guys ahead of'm, and he's exhibited a good deal of Diagnostic Acuity.

Mind you: his Processing Speed needs work, as he shows a tendency to buckle under pressure from time to time.

If that can be addressed, he may be the steal of the Draft. As it is, he strikes me as a pretty good Mid Round bet, and that's where the Market has him, so I'll call it Fair Value!!

If Hoyer signs a RFA tender somewhere else, or the Pats decide to trade him, I wouldn't at all mind taking this kid in the late 3rd/4th round. For me, the biggest thing about drafting a QB, is they have to make you believe in them, and not just their physical skill set. The QB I liked the most last year, and the guy who I think will be the best QB out of that draft long term is Jake Locker. That guy is just a really impressive person and QB, and hearing him talk, especially breaking down the QB position, I can see why the Titans took him in the top 10. I see Cousin's in the same way, he just makes you believe in him. He not only says the all the right things, but you truly believe he means them. He has a solid physical skill set, but he has all the intangibles you look for in a future franchise QB. He is an intelligent, hard working leader, who lives for football, and really understands what it takes to get better. I think he is exactly the kind of QB the Pats look for. Obviously its not a huge need right now, but if he's good value I can see BB jumping on him.

I want to start off by saying i hope hoyer stays with us because i think he's great and worth more than a second rd. Also, almost all of the qbs that you listed are better than blaine gabbert and christian ponder imo. So if they somehow went in the first round i am excited to see where these guys go.

My Short List

Kellen Moore ~ 6.0/192 ~ 7th ~ 1st!!

kellen-moore-tulsa-VS-boise-state.jpg

Beast!! Kellen Moore is the story of this Draft Class, as far as I'm concerned. His Diagnostic Acuity, his Processing Speed, his insatiable Work Ethic, his Vision, his Confidence, his complete and utter Command of the Huddle...his Third Eye, his Instincts, his ability to see where the play's going before it happens...are magnificent.

If I needed to drive the length of the field to score the winning Touch Down in the final two minutes of the Super Bowl, and I had only the Quarter Backs of the 2012 Draft Class to choose from, to lead my team, I would certainly choose Andrew Luck, the greatest QB prospect in the last decade or more...

...unless Kellen Moore was available.

Laugh, if you like.

But under pressure ~ when it counts most ~ it's an easy decision for me.

I laugh my ASS off when I read Reports comparing Moore to Drew Brees "except for the Arm."!!

For those who's memories don't go back 10 years ~ and that is evidently a vast majority ~ the overwhelming consensus on Drew Brees, 11 years ago, was that he was good on the Dink and Dunk stuff...but just don't ask him to sling it downfield!!

True Story!!

Super Sleeper!!

Casey Keenum ~ 6.1/210 ~ UFA ~ 6th-7th

Houston-Quarterback-Case-Keenum-throws-nine-touchdown-passes.jpg

Reserve!! Casey Keenum is short in stature, but is an hard worker and a Scrapper who makes the most of what he's got. He doesn't command much Arm Strength, but he commands the Huddle...At this point, it's hard to assess his Diagnostic Acuity or Processing Speed, because of the nature of the Offense he ran on Planet Hoosten, but within the confines of that Offense, he certainly Moved the Chains. And he improved his Mechanics as a Senior, coming off an ACL injury, which speaks to his Tenacity and Focus. I like the kid, and I'd have no problem dropping a 7th Round Pick on him, if I had one to spare. Deal!!

Aaron Corp ~ 6.4/216 ~ UFA ~ 4th-5th

corp.jpg

Potential Starter!! Aaron Corp is very raw, but he brings superior Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed to the table, as well as excellent Mechanics and good height for the position. Given the right coaching and some patience, he seems to have legitimate Starter potential. Steal!!

Austin Davis ~ 6.1/216 ~ UFA ~ 6th-7th

661197.jpg

Reserve!! Austin Davis is generally downgraded, due to his lack of Arm Strength, his Height, and his experience being in Shot Gun...However, I am inclined to like this kid's ability to manage a Game, which gets about 10% of the attention in scouting QB's, though it ultimately proves to be about 90% of what makes them or breaks them. Mind you, I'm not saying we have Joe Montana, here, but his Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed are excellent. He's also got Scrambling skills, but I don't give a rat's ass about that. All in all, though, I see potential as an effective Reserve and even a potential Starter in the NFL. Deal!!

Gary Joe Kinne ~ 6.1/234 ~ 6th-7th

G.J._Kinne.jpg

Reserve!! Despite his Strong Arm and Athleticism, I like Gary Joe Kinne. Hah!! What I like about him, though, is that he's the son of a Coach who's improved Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed in his Senior year clearly exhibited an open mind and the will to do what is need to evolve as a Field General, a trait that is as uncommon as it is vital. As such, I consider him a very intriguing Prospect. Deal!!

Dan Persa ~ 5.11/210 ~ UFA ~ 4th-5th

106162547_crop_650x440.jpg

Potential Starter!! Dan Persa is just a bit on the short side, but my GOD, is he loaded with Intangibles!!

His Diagnostics and his Processing Speed are through the ROOF, his Work Ethic is absolutely astounding, and it doesn't hurt that he adds Mobility and exceptional Mechanics to his Resume.

His lack of Glory Stats, Height, or Rocket Arm relegate him to UFA Land, but I'm here to tell you that this guy could be an extraordinary 15 year Reserve, one who could come in, in a pinch, and KILL the unprepared...and even become an effective Starter!! Sleeper!!

Notes

1 ~ I don't look at what I imagine Bill The Mad (Genius) would do, but, rather, what I would do. There is no presumptuousness in this. It's just that I enjoy the process more, this way. :)

2 ~ Given my druthers, I'd love to be continually investing lightly on QB ~ Day 3 and UFA ~ and continually developing and eventually trading these guys. The idea would be to groom every one of them to be General Tom's replacement, knowing that one of them eventually will be.

3 ~ One of my most radical and unpopular beliefs is that a Great Passer does not necessarily make a Great Field General. In fact, I believe that, in the development of QB's through High School and College and on to the Pros, having a Rocket Arm ~ or a flashy "40" time ~ can be a great hindrance in developing traits that I value far more than a Rocket Arm or Scrambling Ability.

4 ~ What I value, above all, is Processing Speed: the ability to Read + React Rapidly. Diagnostic Acuity is second most important on my list. I believe Peyton Manning's Diagnostics are the equal of Tom Brady's, but that General Tom's superior Processing Speed is what ultimately separates him from Manning and the rest of the Pack...and separates him by a mile.

5 ~ I believe that, consequently, Drafts are often littered with Wretched Refuse ~ Day 3 or UFA Picks ~ whose Market Values have been obliterated by their lack of Rocket Arms or great "40" times, traits that are nice, but to which I personally attribute a miniscule fraction of importance as the vast majority does...And a few of these guys are blessed with outstanding Processing Speed. Furthermore, many of these guys have been forced to bust their humps to develop Diagnostic Acuity, Processing Speed, and their Book of Knowledge, while their Rocket-Armed brethren have been able ~ and often encouraged ~ to coast on their Arms. Likewise, their Flashy 40 Brethren have often relied on escaping problems, rather than developing their QuarterBacking.

6 ~ In short: These mortals have been forced to survive on their wits. And wits ~ not a Rocket Arm or a flashy "40" time...are what win Grim Games deep in the Winter.

7 ~ What I'd love to see us do is trade both Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett. It's pretty rare to trade a guy after only one year ~ in fact, I know of no precedent at all ~ but I imagine that's far more a function of teams being reluctant to kiss off an investment so early, rather than a reluctance on the part of other teams towards acquiring that talent...And considering that Mallett comes with a 1st Round level of physical skills, a strong reputation as a cerebral Quarter Back, and has managed to get Coach Bill's seal of approval and keep his pie hole shut for a year, I'm quite confident that we'd find a very fair Market for him and for Hoyer...especially once the fates of Ryan TanneHill and Brandon Weeden have been determined.

8 ~ Obviously, Kellen Moore is, far and away, my man.

9 ~ Beyond that, I'm not 100% sure I'd even want to carry a 3rd QB. 53, besides being an atrociously ugly number, just seems so small...But I would certainly like to pick up a couple of those other cats for Camp and for consideration: two of three of Casey Keenum, Aaron Corp, and Dan Persa is what I'd like to see us get.

3 ~ One of my most radical and unpopular beliefs is that a Great Passer does not necessarily make a Great Field General. In fact, I believe that, in the development of QB's through High School and College and on to the Pros, having a Rocket Arm ~ or a flashy "40" time ~ can be a great hindrance in developing traits that I value far more than a Rocket Arm or Scrambling Ability.

A buddy of mine said that it's not a good thing to have a lot of money without having the wisdom to know how to manage it. I think the same is true of athletic ability and arm strength.

I have to say, the more I watch him, I think Ryan Tannehill is going to be a quality QB. His ability to move around in the pocket is excellent, as is his accuracy on the move - these things are innate and he has them. all he lacks is pre-snap diagnosis which is the one thing a QB can be taught. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland takes him at 4 and I think they should.

I love the enthusiasm about Kellen Moore and I 100% agree. His decision making and accuracy can rival anyones, he will just always have the size against him. Brady proved how you can get bigger and a stronger arm over time, and Moore is the #3 QB on my board. :D The rest IMO are misfit toys (Tannehill, Osweller, Foles, Weeden)

Too bad we have the best QB depth chart in the league because I would love Moore if we got a 6th or 7th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes