PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.

resdubwhite

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Given that there seems to be a lot of issues that need to be fixed.

How realistic is it given cap restrictions for next year that New England can take a punt of a couple of big Free agents next year.

We know that there are issues at WR, DE/OLB, and the secondary (at least 2 new faces needed) there may also need to be a centre added.

how much can be realistically spent next year, Given a Welker Re up, and dead money for Ty Warren, Leigh Bodden and some others (possible TBC but don't know if thats ready accounted for)

How realistic is it given cap restrictions for next year that New England can take a punt of a couple of big Free agents next year.

We know that there are issues at WR, DE/OLB, and the secondary (at least 2 new faces needed) there may also need to be a centre added.

how much can be realistically spent next year, Given a Welker Re up, and dead money for Ty Warren, Leigh Bodden and some others (possible TBC but don't know if thats ready accounted for)

Miguel's page used to list future cap hits, but I can't find it ATM.

In any case, though, I expect that if the Pats get a new C, it'll be through the draft.

Sorry, that cap space will be needed for the vets we will cut but still need to pay. :bricks:

We will have lots of cap space in 2011, including the many millions that we chose not to spend in 2011.

Wide receiver is by far our greatest need. Welker is not signed. Branch and Ochocinco may not be invited back. Edelman is next to useless as a receiver. And the untested Price spends most of his time in the tub recovering from splinters received from sitting on the bench.

Yes, I agree that we will need to add at least 2 new faces in the secondary. However, in the secondary, we have a start with Arrington, McCourty, Dowling, Chung and Ihedigbo. we have nothing at WR.

We will have lots of cap space in 2011, including the many millions that we chose not to spend in 2011.

Wide receiver is by far our greatest need. Welker is not signed. Branch and Ochocinco may not be invited back. Edelman is next to useless as a receiver. And the untested Price spends most of his time in the tub recovering from splinters received from sitting on the bench.

Yes, I agree that we will need to add at least 2 new faces in the secondary. However, in the secondary, we have a start with Arrington, McCourty, Dowling, Chung and Ihedigbo. we have nothing at WR.
The first three noted for next year's secondary are legit. Ihedigbo is not. He's ST

Cap space should not be an issue at all, even with some dead money and re-signing Welker, among others. The new CBA is not nearly as tight for cap space as many envisioned it would be. On top of that teams are structuring contracts to take advantage of a big expected hike in the cap once new television contracts kick in in the near future - the Pats can do the same if they so desire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats make a play for VJack next year or maybe even DeSean Jackson (assuming either of them make it to FA). Possibly Dwayne Bowe or Reggie Wayne too.

However, check the WRs slated for free agency in 2013 (not that they'll all make it): Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith (will be 34 though), Mike Wallace.

The 500 pound gorilla in the room is at QB.

The Patriots will probably just throw another 6 million & a couple draft picks at a receiver that can only muster 9 catches through 8 games.

The 500 pound gorilla in the room is at QB.

Who in fairness has taken a home town discount before and is hardly breaking the bank with his current deal.

Ok, so he's had 3 less than stallar games but he deserves it, (in as much as anyone deserves that ridiculous amount of money).

the same thing can probably be said about Mankins though who is showing some signs of mailing it in since he got paid. And another 20 million in guaranteed.

Realistically, here's how I see our Cap space being utilized for 2012 (In no particular order):

1) Welker extension. No matter what ayone says, I just don't see Welker leaving us. He doesn't come off as a "get paid" kind of guy, and everyone in this organization (BB, Kraft, Brady) knows how valuable he is.

2) If Branch is indeed a FA, I see him coming back on a modest 2 year deal (similar to what Matt Light did).

3) Likewise, I see us giving Andre Carter a fair deal for 2 (MAYBE 3) years. He's a true professional, and unlike that fat pantload TBC, I don't see him slacking after having a good year.

4) Draft picks of course.

5) An extension for Mayo and or Vollmer.

(I also see Chad getting cut, barring some '07 Moss-like numbers the rest of the season)

How much $$ will they have next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey