PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Priority 1..Mankins
Priority 2...extension to Welker
Priority 3...First and 4th to AZ for Fitzgerald
Priority 4...trade Meriweather

Agree completley on Mankins, ditto for WWW.

Larry Fitzgerald's contract is tricky, he has made all the incentives so IF HE CHOOSES he can opt out of his contract at the end of 2011 and become a free agent. The contract also stipulates that the Cardinals can not franchise NOR TRADE HIM. Now, I'm sure that he woudl agree to a trade to NE, but you would have to re-neogiate a new contract for him and then give Arizona picks. You might be better off just waiting a year until he hits free agency.

..you are going to make my post a "leave Merriweather alone" video on youtube, have faith in him and yee shall be rewarded.

Cousin DB,
This Draft is shaping up like 2006. It figures we have some decent picks and limited pickings. Very thin talent across the board. BB can do a few things;trade into 2012 which he will undoubtedly do anyway, trade up which is less likely or swap some picks for good young NFL proven talent. TB is not going to be happy with a fresh supply of rookie WR he gets to yell at next year. Branch is injury prone and 22. Welker is hopefully going to rebound on what for him, was an off yea but is older than LF. I am not sold on Tate (I picture a slightly slower Bethel Johnson) and no one knows on Price. Hear me out first. Larry Fitzgerald is young, has an out there, the Cardinals need a bunch more talent and not one guy and LF is NOT a diva. He has been fairly durable and could be the bigger taller faster down the field threat we lost with Moss, but without the distractions.

DW - you should go back to whatever cave you were hiding in. The talk of trading for Fitzgerald has its own thread.

Branch is not 22. He'll be 32 in July. Welker will be 30. Edelman, Tate, and Price will be 25 or younger.

Your evaluation of Tate is garbage. Price gave us a glimpse of what he should be able to bring to the table next year.

Seeing what is available in this Draft and knowing we now have some TE quality, why would you not throw a few choices to AZ for him. Who on the whole board is better? He will cost what Moss did.

This draft is better than the 2006 draft. Fitzgerald will cost a lot more to get than Moss did. And you also forgot that Moss took a pay cut in his first year.

As far as UFA available picks. Pending cost Ray Edwards would be a help at one DE spot.Again there is no sure fire impact DE in this Draft.

So you are back to seeing the future and being able to tell that there is no sure fire impact DE..

Eric Weddle is an upgrade over all pro Merriweather in this system if the Chargers let him go.

The Chargers have to figure out who they are keeping.. Floyd, Jackson or Weddle...

It is not a talent hunt. It is about gaining strength because everyone else will upgrade to get us.

I hate to disappoint you draftnicks but this class is poop.
DW Toys

Your talent evaluation skills are what are poop.. but we've all known that for ages.

Re: Your free agent wishlist... [merged]

pats philosophy won't change - resign their own and build through the draft. they may get a few free agents here and there to plug holes but that's about it.

uhhh ... how many prior Jets are there on your roster right now ????

Re: Your free agent wishlist... [merged]

uhhh ... how many prior Jets are there on your roster right now ????
Those qualify as "here or there" signings, I'd say. Who is a former Jet that they shelled out for?

Re: OT: Raider CB ASOMUGHA A FREE AGENT

Trade. Picks. Now.

I doubt the Pats would pay him, but the Pats would have the best CB combo in the league with him on one side and McCourty on the other. And Bodden coming off the bench.

I wonder if the Jets will come through on their promise of getting him to line up opposite Revis. It would probably kill their chances of resigning a lot of guys like Holmes, Edwards, and Harris; but I can see Tannebaum doing it.

Trade. Picks. Now.

Picks? What picks? For what? The guy is a free agent. No picks neccessary. The trade deadline is over for this football year.

OKAY! BRAIN FART! :D

Anyway, get him.

just avoid. draft a younger player and build a long lasting team with 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds

just avoid. draft a younger player and build a long lasting team with 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds

this makes me jealous ... but since the Jets do not have those picks ... I say they should jettison Homes and Cromartie for him.

Pats will have more critical needs than a 2nd Pro Bowl level CB. that would be awesom sure, but they are likely going to need some help on O Line and perhaps on D Line, those needs will be more pressing

great, except, at what cost?
anyone know what he was making under his since-voided contract? And what he will be asking for? A ton, I would guess.
I am not sure I would break the bank for him, given how well McCourty has played, and given the other guys we have, and all of the picks in the upcoming draft.
I think the DL is more of a concern, and/or an edge rusher.

only if he can play at DL :)

How much would Asomugha cost per year in a long-term deal? And how does he compare to Revis? I'm really jealous of the way the Jets can put Revis on one guy and pretty much forget about him all game... just look at Wayne last night. It happens just about every week, minus a bad game once or twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes